Made some smoke yesterday...what's your fav PB pistol?

BerdanSS

Got the the range to blow some smoke for a while. Group of guys in the lanes next to me all there for a bachelor party (man was it cold out for that) They had a couple glocks and what looked like a 92 Brigadier. They all got quiet when I began pulling item after item out of my shooting box. One guy came over to look after I got set up and was very interested in the 1860 army. "Wow that's cool what is that?" He had lots of questions I tried to answer the best I could.

While taking to him about it I realized how much I really love these pistols and I get excited when people that aren't familiar with them still get interested...in this world of plastic super one man army autos.

This was just the icing on the cake....first 5 (the spread out group on bottom) was 20grs of Swiss FFF under speer .454s @ 15 yards. The 2nd tight group was 25grs of Swiss
Crappy cell pic, sorry)

This is by far my favorite pistol. A clean 'ol RAG .44 I picked up for a song at a local traders market.

What's you favorite pistol form the collection? Post some pics:)

Last edited:
My favorite is my Pietta 51 navy (yeah I know, I need to take some new pics).
BTW in case you didn't know that RAG is a Rigarmi.

I am hoping to get my girl to by me a pieta for Christmas, as I know nothing about them, I am not picky. other than wanting around an 8", I am not sure what to get. I saw a special on cabelas for a1861(I think) marked from 225 to 149$. si that might be the ticket. anyecommendation for the lower priced ones, I really wanna get one

Yessir Hawg. I actually had never seen one marked like that when I found it, and was hesitant to pick it up. Glad I did, seems to be a pretty high quality piece. Actually I believe you were the one that told me what I had, when I first posted pictures the day I got it....thank you by the way :) And nice shooting with that navy.

I was Pretty lost on that one since the only marking was RAG on the left left side and no proofs on the frame. Still don't know much about rigarmi :o other than I believe they went under and or bought out in the late 70s? Not much info on them out there.

skizzums
The 61 navy would be a fantastic pistol to "get into it'' with. I was a 51 Navy man myself, until I got my hands on the 1860 grip, balance and pointability.

what I really wanted was a kit from Dixie, I like to build things. but this special at cabela's is cheaper than any kit I can find and I cant figure out a reason why not. but like I said, I know nothing about BP and wouldn't be able to tell a nice specimen versus rough one anyhow.

this is an 1851 after all, see any problems with this? does the price seem as good as I think it is?
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home...vers/112132080.uts&WTz_l=Unknown;cat112132080

Skizzums that's a pretty good price for a brass frame but you will have to keep loads on the light side. The navy never came with a brass frame or .44 caliber originally so its an Italian fantasy piece.

BeerdanSS . . . wow! You mean they make something other than a "51 Navy? :D

If I remember correctly . . the first BP pistol I ever shot was an original Colt Army and the next was a original Remington NMA. That was over 50 years ago and the desire for smelling the smoke of the Holy Black has stuck with me since.

My first repro was a 1860 Army that I purchased from Dixie. It had a fluted cylinder and was a beautiful six gun. I sold it to a friend when I discovered the joy of the Navies - wish now I had it back!

I enjoy my Navies a lot and like the 36 caliber - less powder and less lead to cast but hey, it doesn't make any difference if it's a 36 or a 44 or what model - they all are fun! Looks like you had a great session at the range and maybe you made some "converts"? If not, they at least learned something new! That's the important thing . . . having fun and learning new things along the way! Enjoy! :)

And . . . that's a nice looking "Army" you have! :)

Thats some good SHOOSHTING my man!

Skizzums, Cabela's has a smoking deal on a 1858 Remington 8" barrel with a spare cylinder for 249. You can't beat that with a stick. Just my opinion but being new to cap and ball revolvers, the 1858 Remmie is stupid simple and easy to learn with. Thats what I learned with. Now the Open tops are some sexy beasts and shoot fine

My favorite...

I have a stainless Ruger Old Army that is just great to shoot and always draws a crowd at the range, but if I can only choose "one" as my favorite cap 'n ball...

Then the rich case colors on this 3rd Generation Signature Series 1861 Colt will win every time. Here she is...

8975Colt_1861_Navy_01.jpg

8975Colt_1861_Navy_02.jpg

Dang... Looking at those pictures just now... I'm in love all over again!

Tight groups.

Old No7

I got rid of all my BP revolvers,,,

I got rid of all my BP revolvers,,,
They were just too much of a pain in the keester to maintain.

The only BP handgun I've ever had that I would like back,,,
Was a single-shot, plain-Jane, cap and ball "plainsman".

It loaded quick and easy,,,
I was surprisingly accurate with it,,,
And it only took a few minutes to clean it.

I'm just not into the high-maintenance factor of BP revolvers.

Aarond

Every time I see a picture of that target flinter....I start wanting one:D Thats just cool as it gets. Thank you for posting sir

Thanks all for the kind comments :)

No 7 Thats a B-E-A-ute of a '60 Army. I love the gold tones in the color case.

I've converted all of mine ( except for the latest pair, which are getting machine work right now )

SKIZZUMS... I'd personally skip the brass frames, even though I love the look... my machinist buddy won't touch them, after shooting one with medium / light loads for a summer & having the frame stretch so much, that it had to be retired... BTW... Dixie sells some guns they call kits, that are assembled, but not polished out or cosmetically finished... they are a great value... my Walker pictured below, started life as a Dixie kit gun...

I bought a pair of steel 51 navies on sale from Cabelas just a couple weeks ago for $179 each, & I had 2 - $20.00 off coupons they let me use, getting them down to $159.00 each... those are getting the barrels cut to 4.5" a .357 barrel liner added, & converted to 38 Long Colt traditional gunsmith style, with no loading gate, just a slot... to keep the traditional look, I'm shortening & keeping the seating lever... mine were Piettas, & the case colors were beautiful... but not quite as nice as that Colt pictured above... that one is almost too pretty to shoot ( what :eek: did I just say that ??? )

my favorite right now, is my Walker, converted to 45 Black Powder Magnum... however I'm betting when the navies get done... that will become a tougher choice... Walker pictured here before cosmetic finishing...

Back