Made some interesting mistakes, wasted bullets, wrecked brass.

My hat is off to the original post. It’s a friendly reminder that being fatigued can lead to bad decisions.

Automatic pistol rounds, I taper crimp with the seating. Revolver rounds… I have generally used the Lee Factory Crimp as a separate step. I’m fussy and trim brass to uniform length, so it works for me. I am reconsidering it, as this discussion has me thinking!

The “Jar Of Shame” on my bench. Much like any group-some can be saved & some are beyond help.
Exr2d6zl.jpg

It comes with the territory and you caught it before issues came of it.

When I set up my first progressive presses I had half a one pound coffee can of reminders. Heck about two weeks back my oldest grandson and I were going to prep some 280 rem range brass. Through the cobwebs in my dusty ol head came forth the thought, run em thru the '06 Small Base die without the expander. Worked like a charm and crushed the shoulders on all 50. :(

Been loading since back in the early 70's but sometimes the simple things just kick your backside.

I just pulled down 40 rounds in 7.62x39 yesterday because I accidentally checked off one of the loads too soon during my load work up. I tried pulling down one Bullet in each increment to see where I went wrong, but these rounds were so compressed some powder stuck to the Bullet base and some in the case so I couldn’t get an accurate reading. So to be safe I just pulled them all and started over.

The “Jar Of Shame” on my bench. Much like any group-some can be saved & some are beyond help.
I have a "bucket of shame"--most of them are when I got just a bit too enthusiastic with the charge weights--or the primers failed. I do get a "crunchy" every now and then but is usually a failure to clean the die or properly size the case.

Despite following this thread, the other night I caught my mistake after loading 4 rounds of 158gr cast in .38 Special. For whatever reason, my mind had moved to 17.0gr of 2400 powder I use to load .357 Mag. instead of 6.0gr of Unique. The concomitant reason? Fatigue. I had enough of the political nonsense on TV and I decided to load. I shut down and went bed. Pulled the bullets the next day and proceeded in the right direction.

Despite following this thread, the other night I caught my mistake after loading 4 rounds of 158gr cast in .38 Special. For whatever reason, my mind had moved to 17.0gr of 2400 powder I use to load .357 Mag. instead of 6.0gr of Unique. The concomitant reason? Fatigue. I had enough of the political nonsense on TV and I decided to load. I shut down and went bed. Pulled the bullets the next day and proceeded in the right direction.
I have taken to writing my loads down on 3x5 cards, and pulling the one I am working with out when I load. That way I have a quick reference while I working, and I don't have to try and remember or reference my log book or loading manuals. Helps keeping me from making mistakes.

Make mistakes ... Learn Lesson ( my Dad calls it learning the hard way )

Now you will remember what went wrong and why very vividly .

Carry On ... Live and Learn . Thanks for posting .
Gary

It would be well to recognize this philosophy: Thomas Edison:

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas A. Edison
What does it mean?

They say failure is the mother of success. People tend to look at failure as a bad thing. We must be able to learn from our mistakes and grow from it. Edison believed that even though he tried something countless times without the expected results, it doesn’t mean that he failed. He never gave up in his beliefs and always tried one way after the other. Edison said that our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

Back