Made in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think generally Japan is now known for quality, at least in technology. Of course they probably stole the design from Apple.

Japan got to where they kicked our rear ends, especially in electronics and cars, thanks to an American who was laughed at here at home. His idea of building quality in on the front end so there would be no need for quality inspectors after the fact went over the heads of everyone in the 50s when the rest of the world's economies were recovering from WWII. Deming was his name, Total Quality Management was his game:
http://asq.org/learn-about-quality/total-quality-management/overview/deming-points.html.

He took a bombed out country like Japan and turned it from "Jap Crap" into brands WE wanted because their quality beat anything we made at home.

I look for the same aspects when buying a gun, any gun. Don't buy the name, buy the product.

With guns, "made in the USA" is not necessarily good or bad. You need to break this down by firearm design. For example:

1. I think the best semi-auto AK's were the Chinese Polytechs; a close second are the guns being made by Arsenal in the US.

2. The best AR's and 1911's are US made.

3. The best M1A's are US made.

4. The best 9mm handguns are generally European. Belgian Hi-Powers, CZ 75B, Sphinx, Korth, Sig's, HK, Glock, etc.

5. The best double-barrel shotguns are generally made in Germany, Italy and England. Japan is also capable of making some fine shotguns.

Think about it, if someone handed you $50,000 and said you had to spend that money on an O/U shotgun, will you will you be looking at Ruger Red Labels or something by Holland & Holland?

Last edited:
Spats was copying off my screen when he wrote:
I won't pay a large premium just to get something that's American-made. That said, all factors (cost, quality, etc.) being fairly equal, I buy products made in the USA when I can.

I like buying American, but I'm not willing to pay more for an inferior product. Doing so just further propagates poor quality and lessens the value of the country.

For the most part my guns are made in the USA. My CZ is made in the USA by CZUSA. Three Remingtons are US made though one is a custom job. My hand guns - other than the CZ are Ruger and Hi Standard. I think the only gun I have that is not made in the USA are the two SKS Chinese rifles. Even my shotguns are made in the USA, though some are very old.
I buy guns that are well documented for their operational quality and hunting accuracy. I don't really go out of my way to buy American but if I can find the quality I want at the price I can afford it's a nice plus that it is made here. It is a fact that other countries produce some fine firearms and some are at reasonable prices. It is also true that if you want the finest quality it is from a country that has a history of craftsmanship and not mass production.

"..."made in Japan" has been replaced by made in China or Taiwan..." Or elsewhere in SEA where pay scales are way less than half that of anywhere in North America. Never mind the U.S. And your pay scales are far less than they are here.
"...The best M1A's are US made..." Seems me M1A receivers are not made Stateside. And the best AR's are made in Canada. Plant is still foreign owned though.
"...best semi-auto AK's..." Are still 1940's technology and are made for illiterate conscripts and are not made for accuracy.
Browning Arms today is nothing more than a brand name owned by the Herstal Group. Who also own the FN and Winchester brand names.

My CZ is made in the USA by CZUSA

CZ does not manufacture any firearms in the USA. CZ-USA is the American subsidiary that imports them from the Czech Republic.

The question is are US made firearms superior to foreign arms?
I know in the US we have mfg's that run the whole spectrum but lets say from teh major mfgs.. S&W, Ruger, Remington, Etc

The question isn't, SHOULD we buy Made in the USA.. The Question is are we really any better at it then the rest of the world these days?

I would say, short answer, is "it depends." American firearms manufacturers are doing well in many areas. Kel-Tec and Kahr are a little less popular than the major manufacturers, but they have some market share and are 100% American made. A Kahr is the only striker fired pistol I own, and I will say that it is very well put together fit/finish wise. They are also affordable, so I would rank them as a good value as anything else. Ruger and S&W both have the occasional fit/finish issue, but I would say they are competitive with gunmakers world wide if you weigh price/quality. Savage rifles come to mind... err... Savage circa 2005 or so (prior to the Axis/Edge) comes to mind. Excellent rifles with out of the box accuracy that competes well on the world stage, if you exclude the newer budget models. And lets not forget that there are tons of AR15 manufacturers out there now, and many of them are quite well made and at great prices today.

Probably the one area that American manufacturers might be taking a hit in is the semi-automatic pistol market. It is problematic to make a 1911 that must have some degree of hand-fitting to sell for under $500.00. RIA can do it, but we just can't make that beast in America and have the company turn a profit. RIA 1911s are highly regarded as good values in the budget 1911 world, I have one and I would say that reputation is deserved. Also it seems that American manufacturers are thin in the DA/SA hammer market (other than Sigs made in Exeter). For the other designs, I would say American made is as good as anything. Especially if you want a reasonably priced revolver that you expect to actually work (I'm looking at you, Brazil).

Think about it, if someone handed you $50,000 and said you had to spend that money on an O/U shotgun, will you will you be looking at Ruger Red Labels or something by Holland & Holland?

50K will get you a nice downpayment on an H&H.......;) but your point is well-intended. You couldn't GIVE a Ruger shotgun - I owned one and know first hand how crappy they were........Now, that 50K on a nice Perazzi of Beretta SO..................... :D

Browning Arms today is nothing more than a brand name owned by the Herstal Group

IIRC, Browning does make a few items, even here in the US - I believe the Buckmark pistol is one of those, but Browning has always outsourced production for the majority of their items - just like Charles Daly, Weatherby, and a slew of other known brands. No different than automobiles. Made in the USA is more like Assembled in the USA - and even then, the "foreign" brands are more likely to have a US plant than the "American" ones.

I don't think US manufactured arms have ever really had an edge on some of the europeans as far as quality and I think it has been before I was born that some of the Japanese manufacturers started producing some of the finest arms.

I can cover a lot of ground on this and not even begin but be off track.
Yes, Buy USA is patriotic. It saves and produces jobs. It raises the value of the dollar, something the Globalist don't like. They say it hurts our trade with other countries.
Other countries and Globalists an are utilizing the US ass a resource colony. We sell them wheat and soy and unprocessed oil and they sell it back to us s as finished goods at higher prices. They get the profits.
As a result, intentionally, we lose jobs and depress wages.
Everything we buy imported goes up in price as the dollar buys less.
Global Business like this cheap Bush's "The New Flexible Labor Pool" of minimum wage, part time, on demand, no benefits or health care, no retirement, no lunch breaks, subsidized by our Tax Dollars via Food Stamps if you manage 20 hrs a week.
The advantages of a weak dollar, would suggest more income to Americans but it ain't so. Globalist Wall Street leave nothing on Main Street.
No local or regional or national production(of wealth).
Remember the sixties and early seventies?
High School kids were buying 427 Galaxies with part time jobs.
People were putting money in savings and retirementns.
Local, State and Regional Banks gobbled up by the Fed and eventually Credit Unions.
this is too much already and is getting away form the subject of guns.
However the problem is not simple to explain or what we can/must do to be able to regain American(our) economy and superior goods and durable goods and the money to buy them and regain our American Dream.
This will be deleted as too political. It is only a beginning in explaining why it is good and why we should buy American firearms and everything else

I own Browning, Colt, Glock, H&R, Ruger, S&W and Winchester. Buy American? I say buy quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember the sixties and early seventies?
No $250 cable bills
AND cell bills.
One, MAYBE two tvs in a 1500SF house.
That Galaxy went 50,000 miles, maybe.
And if you got in an accident going over 30 you might just die.
I've worked a lot of crappy jobs and a few good ones over the years. I wouldn't want to go back to the sixties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back