M1A1 Paratrooper. The Real McCoy? (Pic heavy)

No, the OI stands for "Overton for Inland". Most carbine stocks and handguards were made by the Overton company (O) as a subcontractor; the second letter would be the prime contractor. (The other major supplier of wood for carbines was a company named Hillerich & Bradsby, of which you might have heard in connection with other, less serious, contests.)

The markings on the stock I was referring to were the Ordnance symbol, inspection cartouche and the stock maker's marking on the grip. Those absences indicate that stock was not installed at the factory, but in the field. It could have been a replacement, or installed because of a need for paratrooper carbines at a particular time. Or as a replacement by an owner after the war to make the carbine look "sexy".

Jim

I'm missing something in the translation somehow. I used the page below to get a handle on what I was looking for and it sounds like you may be referring to the second run stamps as shown in the second run table. http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/modelM1A1.html

Here is the first run table. The formatting of the table didn't copy well, sorry.

Part Manufacturer Description
Forestock: S.E. Overton Walnut Highwood; OI stamped inside stock at rear of slide opening
Hand Grip: S.E. Overton Walnut; OI stamped in bottom of grip
Hardware: Royal Typewriter
Final Assembly: Royal Typewriter
Final Inspection: S.E. Overton
M1A1 Carbine Assembly: Inland Mfg.
Test Fire Proof Inland Mfg. a large circled P on rear of forestock(discontinued during the latter part of 1st run)
Ordnance Acceptance Markings: Inspectors at Inland Mfg. Ordnance cannons stamped on bottom of grip

Yes the crossed cannons stamp is on the bottom of the grip with the OI stamp. That is the Ordinance stamp that was put on at the factory during final testing and approval correct? Still learning here and a lot to consider. So far still looks to be first production.

Hey Jim thanks for the alert about the handcuffs I had no idea they were illegal in some states. Heck we are now an open carry state. But no one does. Everyone has a permit to carry concealed. The left predicted a bloodbath. Never happened of course. We are safer now than ever. But that is another thread eh?

Last edited:
I suspect not.

The tell?

The barrel stamp... Inland MFG.

I believe original production guns were stamped Inland Mfg. Div., as they were a division of General Motors at that time.

A few years ago a new start up called Inland Mfg. started making new, but authentically styled and marked, M1 and M1A1 carbines.

The markings on the new guns are virtually identical to the real McCoy, but are slightly different in a few places.

I think you have one of the new production guns.

Did your friend say when he got it?

"Mike, the newly manufactured ones use the late style rear sight."

Hum... missed the fact that this one has the early flip sight.

More and more interesting...

Another pic of the barrel stamp.

Here you go Mike. The pic shows the area a bit better. I'll be happy to take more if I missed something else. Still learning about it. Very deep history for such a short period of time.

I'm still in shock that every time I look for some mark I find it. Each one is a rush. Then I calm down thinking: "it can't be". Boom, next thing I check is legit. Another rush. First night I nearly couldn't sleep. I can't keep my hands off it and I think my wife is getting jealous.

I really appreciate all the assistance I have gotten here and on other forums. The community as a whole has been a great source of info.

Probably my biggest unanswered question is: Since I have a replacement stock on the way, should I shoot it or store it? I am itching to take it to the range. What do you guys think about that? It would be a shame if I can't experience firing it.
100_6952.jpg

A genuine Paratrooper carbine is iconic and valuable. It's been fired before now, guaranteed, even if only a single magazine. Have it checked out by a pro gunsmith to see if any parts might not take a few rounds, then decide.

I don't think running 50 or 100 rounds through it will hurt it's value one bit. No more, though.

I'd put the replacement stock on it before firing it, and put the original back on before storing it away for a little more appreciation in value. The cost of the new stock is nothing compared to the loss of the original.

Do check your insurance coverage and security.

Whatever you decide, do NOT fire it at a padded cotton Chicom uniform, this will make any M1 carbine worthless in the eyes of some 'experts'.

I would fire the gun all you want with the new stock, but keep the old one to put back on if you ever sell it. That way you won't take a chance of the "original" stock splitting more.

BTW, ALL U.S. made .30 Carbine ammo is non-corrosive and always was. That may not be true of foreign-made ammo, especially Chinese and French. It is not a matter of cleaning the bore as with other corrosive ammo, but of keeping corrosive salts out of the gas cylinder. The gas cylinder can be cleaned, but cleaning should not be needed if only non-corrosive ammo is used. (That does not apply to the M1 rifle; that ammo was corrosive through at least 1950 and some beyond that.)

Jim

btw all the ammo they included in the mags and clips is marked LC4. I read somewhere that is USGI issue 1944 made by Lake City. That would jive with what the family told me about it not being shot since they first acquired it. I guess the brother bought the rounds when he got it and may have shot a few of them since a couple mags are empty and one had some missing. Ok to shoot that old ammo or should I use the new Aquila I bought from Inland?

Not sure I like InlandDepot customer service since I got the ammo already but the stock set hasn't been shipped after 6 days. Ordered both on the 20th, rounds were shipped next day. Email to see what is up not answered yet and call not returned today. I'll give them another shot tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Hey Kilimanjaro: About insurance. What the one mentioned above sells for at auction end (5 days) should give me a good idea of what to insure it for. Do you have a suggestion?

Last edited:
$3,000 is a minimum, especially with all the additional magazines and other period accoutrements. The new stock will also add value.

I've seen these offered for sale for $6,000, which included the cloth bag and a sling, not much else. I have seen one actually sell for $5,500 at a show.

Your insurance valuation should be the replacement cost of every item. The insurance value is not necessarily a selling price, but a replacement cost for an identical carbine in identical condition, so you need to look at more than one sale.

You'll have to go to a special gun policy, your homeowner's policy will not cover this. Look at Collectinsure and ArmsCare. Might want to think about a liability policy as well if you carry concealed, as an aside, just thinking about insurance.

Your NRA coverage may be adequate, look that up, too.

Back