M1A or AR-10 ?

I know this is about the M14 and AR10 but I'd just like to add this quote I read in Competitive AR15:

"Compared to the M14, the AR15 is an easier gun to shoot and it shoots better. They essentially shoot three minute and the 14s shoot one minute and they don't beat you to death, and they don't break"

-Derrick Martin, Accuracy Speaks (who made his "name" building M14s)

This is mainly refering to target rifles which in your case would fit the bill(hunting or plinking)and never met a plinker or hunter that didn't want an accurate rifle. I don't own an AR10 but what I've seen and heard they are very accurate(T models) and will add one to my collection soon. I've heard/read(through sites like AR15.com)alot about poor reliability but have not met anyone personaly at the range that dislikes theirs. I'm hoping for Armalite to get squared away and will seriously consider one. I own their M15A4 and love it(well made and accurate), which I purchased before the craze. I also own an M14/M1A and is a great rifle by it's own standards but generally requires more attention to maintain peak accuracy. My best suggestion would be to shoot both, if you can, decide which one feels better to you. Based on what your doing I feel the AR10 would be a better fit(with a scope) but I don't think you can go wrong with either. Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one and their not always the same. :)

Brian

[This message has been edited by Mouse Gun (edited March 16, 2000).]

My main problem with the AR series is caliber. From personal experiance the .223 FMJ is just not a reliable man stopper. I think expanding bullets make the .223 into a reasonable close range tool, but I do prefer the .308.

Oh yeah - the other problems I encountered in 20 (+) years of military experiance could be traced back to either magazine problems or worn out rifles. (my first unit had XM16E2s made by HydraMatic)

Giz

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited March 17, 2000).]

RikWriter,

Which particular ACOG or Elcan scope do you think would serve me best and the ever popular question - WHO has the best prices on the scopes? Thanks - BK

ps- received my mags from Cole today! Called Armalite earlier this week and they verified $25 per mag conversion costs and 3-4 weeks turnaround time.

Billy, DSA has a pretty good price on the ACOGs, not sure about the Elcans. BTW, Armalite told me 3-4 weeks too, but then got them back to me in 10 days. :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>made by HydraMatic[/quote]

Giz

Isn't that the same Manufacturing Company that makes Gallagher's Sledgeamatic? :p

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

bk40, somehow I must have missed your last post before I started my rant, anyway be sure and give us a full range report after you get it set up.

Brian

Back