M1924ck Bayonet?

nwlegolas

Inactive
I have what I believe is a M1924ck bayonet.
Can anyone help me confirm this?
I have left out the serial numbers in the pictures.
They are NOT matching numbers.
I am interested in selling it and cannot find a reliable source on the value of such an item.
I appreciate any help the community provides. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3149.jpg
    IMG_3149.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3150.jpg
    IMG_3150.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3151.jpg
    IMG_3151.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 95
It does not appear to be any type of bayonet that I am familiar with as it does not seem to be able to be attached to a rifle. Perhaps some sort of combat dagger. From the skull and crossbones my guess and it is only a guess as I have not seen any would be that it is a dagger associated with a WWII Concentration Camp. I could easily be wrong and probably am but I had heard in the past that units operating these camps wore the skull and crossbones.

From the skull and crossbones my guess and it is only a guess as I have not seen any would be that it is a dagger associated with a WWII Concentration Camp. I could easily be wrong and probably am but I had heard in the past that units operating these camps wore the skull and crossbones.

The "Totenkopf" (death's head) was worn by two groups in Nazi Germany. The SS and the Army Panzertruppen (tank crews).

The SS included those units that operated the Concentration camps.

The SS skull has the lower jaw, the Army tanker's skull does not.

The skull and crossbones on the scabbard shown is neither of those.

I can see no attachment method, so I doubt it was actually a bayonet. Though it is possible that it was made from a bayonet blade.

It's also possible some previous owner attached the skull & crossbones disc to play pirate. You might have someone's "play" dagger, made from some original military knife or dagger, or even a bayonet, that just happened to fit the available scabbard.

Anything is possible, and I'm no bayonet expert. The pictured item lacks any of the features I see on late 19th and early 20th century bayonets. It is more similar to a "dress dagger" but is not any recognizable type, to me.

Good Luck getting an ID, sorry I can't tell you what it is, only what it's not.

I can see no attachment method, so I doubt it was actually a bayonet. Though it is possible that it was made from a bayonet blade.

It's also possible some previous owner attached the skull & crossbones disc to play pirate. You might have someone's "play" dagger, made from some original military knife or dagger, or even a bayonet, that just happened to fit the available scabbard.

My thoughts as well. It might have killed Ceaser, i can't be sure, but it is not a 1924 bayo.

Thanks 44 AMP for the clarification. My information came word of mouth from my dad who passed in 2002. He served in the Army Infantry during WWII. He told me many stories over the years.

The logo in the third picture is probably the best clue to the maker, but I can't find anything in some quick internet searches.

What are the letters in the logo? It looks like A, B, 3 and maybe an I or 1 or maybe that's some kind of picture?

Also, revealing the serial number might help with identification and I can't really think of a way that it could be used against you.

JohnKSa said:
The logo in the third picture is probably the best clue to the maker, but I can't find anything in some quick internet searches.

What are the letters in the logo? It looks like A, B, 3 and maybe an I or 1 or maybe that's some kind of picture?
Possibly BT3?

Back to my link to "Bayonets of Yugoslavia. The second listing is for the 1924, and over on the right one of the markings is "BT3" inside a triangle. From the photos on that site:

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Yugoslavia/yugoslavia_2.html

b1483_3.jpg

But ... "BT3" seems to have been used on several different bayonets, and neither the blade, the handle, or the scabbard of the one in question matches any of the Yugo bayonets.

I’m calling it as a bayonet that has been reworked into a dagger. “Looks” to me that the knife that the OP has will fit into the dimensions of the bayonet in the identification table that AB posted, the only thing that bothers me is the midline location of the fuller. The identification table bayonet has a fuller near the spine. The spine could have possibly been re-ground into a double edged blade and then a fuller ground down the center.

Maybe we could see the entire blade. Something probably broke, then repurposed maybe.

rickyrick said:
I’m calling it as a bayonet that has been reworked into a dagger. “Looks” to me that the knife that the OP has will fit into the dimensions of the bayonet in the identification table that AB posted, the only thing that bothers me is the midline location of the fuller. The identification table bayonet has a fuller near the spine. The spine could have possibly been re-ground into a double edged blade and then a fuller ground down the center.
I don't think the blade matches any of the blades in the link I provided. The Yugo bayonets all have the fuller near the spine. I own an M48 Mauser with a similar bayonet, and IMHO there's simply not enough material near the center portion of the blade to change it into a double-edged blade with a deep and fairly wide fuller along the centerline.

Beyond that, the scabbard doesn't match up, the handle is all wrong, the pommel doesn't match that of any of the bayonets and, if there was a ring to slide over the muzzle, it has been ground off. The Yugo Mauser bayonets were made to be worn in a leather frog -- the scabbards don't have a lanyard loop such as the mystery piece has.

I am inclined to think that the mystery weapon is some variant of a trench knife rather than a bayonet.

Possibly BT3?
That looks like exactly the same logo. Good detective work!

The scabbard is very similar to the M48 bayonet scabbard. It could be a modified version of the M48 bayonet scabbard.

The fasteners holding the handle on are very similar to those holding the wooden scales to the tang of the M48 bayonet.

However, it would be difficult to make a finished M48 bayonet into the pictured knife/scabbard.

The fuller isn't down the center of the blade on the bayonet, and trying to grind a finished bayonet into the dagger pattern with a central fuller would be really hard, I think--probably not possible.

Also, the guard on the bayonet isn't symmetrical--there's a loop for the barrel on one side. I don't think that the remaining metal after grinding the loop off would be sufficient to make the guard shown on the knife.

The finished scabbard has a frog attachment that isn't present on the knife scabbard and doesn't have the loop for the lanyard/belt loop.

The pommel on the knife is much larger than the bayonet attachment on the M48 bayonet.

Here's a link to a knife that looks similar, but not identical to yours.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/272355102056

Interestingly, I did an image search for “BT3 sword” and there’s more than one type of bladed weapons that bear the logo. Most are Serbian, Yugoslavia or German. Seems like they all have a fuller that favors the spine.

The empty pin hole in the handle is also curious. Nothing I saw has a pommel like that. I think a Frankensteined, broken and repurposed from parts. Non-professional opinion

The knife in the link I provided has the same hole in the handle and a pommel like the OP's knife. It doesn't have a fuller or it would be pretty much a dead ringer.

I didn’t see your picture from eBay on there earlier. Almost the same handle and pommel. As a matter of fact, the ricassos are the same between the two. The only glaring difference is the centralized ridge vs fuller.

Just a few thoughts:
* The knife in the OP looks like a ceremonial dagger based on the attachment straps. Not a bayonet, it has no mount.
* BT3 or whatever the mark is is an armory mark, so you may have identified the country of origin, but not what model or type it is.
* The picture John posted a link to looks like a reground bayonet, it has no fuller running down the middel of the blade and the blade is narrower.
* If it's worth copying, somebody will make a fake, so the original knife is possibly associated with some elite unit.

Not a bayonet, it has no mount.
If you click through the pics on the link I provided, one of them shows that the odd pommel does, indeed, have an attachment method that makes it a bayonet.

It's only obvious from one side though.

Back