M1911 beginner question

Just agreement on two things.

I got a Norinco used (so I didn't feel bad about sending money to China), and it has been utterly reliable with now over 700 rounds of mixed ammo, mostly GI ball. No bobble, no breakin, no FTF. Monotonous. Well within service accuracy, about 4" at 25 yards.

On the Llama, I got to look at one belong to a friend. Looks nice. Feels pretty good. Sloppiest, most poorly fitted barrel I have ever seen on any 1911 type pistol. Holes in the link way oversized, barrel skirts never touched the slide stop pin, barrel hood nowhere near the slide. Lots of hand filing and slop everywhere in the mechanism. I had to tell the poor guy that it would never shoot well unless he put a bundle of bucks into it and then I wouldn't guarantee anything.

Jim

I inherited my Dad's WW2 issue 1911. Its a tad sloppy and by no means a competitive issue. That said....its dependable, has never failed to do its job and I've had many years to learn its own particulars....

When I choose and I will so when itd time for my boy to have it...then it will be upgraded and tricked out because its original and can be.

The 1911 saved the world and can do so again...its dependable, upgradable.....'nuff said

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

If possible try and shoot the different models of 1911's you're interested in. I recently shot a Springfield "Loaded" .45 in Stainless that a relative of mine picked up and I think they are a good gun for the money. Just remember that no matter how good the gun is, if you don't use good quality mags you'll have a lot of problems. I say this because there are a lot of what I call "gun show" mags out there for 1911's that will give you problems even with ball ammo.

Good luck

At Collect.net http://www.collectit.net/cgi-bin/texhtml?form=classads&prodval=&classnbrval=&adtextval=springfield&group=4&relation=&totalHits=118&submit=Ne xt+Ads
M-1911 A1 stainless basic govt. with loaded package, NIB, $595. Another the same but with the V-12 porting option and extra magazinem $695. (this gun ought to sell for over $1,000) Visa/ MC Bob Swanson 520-721-4066 or 520-869-4066 Arizona.
M-1911-A1 MIL-SPEC parkerized, with "loaded" package, $519. One left. Visa/MC. Bob Swanson 520-721-4066 or 520-869-4066 Arizona
Hot of the Presses !
NEW ARRIVAL - Springfield Armory 1911A1 Stainless Loaded new in case - $520.00
At : http://pages.hotbot.com/biz/jcarmory/MonthlySpecialsHG.html

------------------

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

I'll ring in with another vote for Springfield Armory...While the serrations are sharp, I really don't care. My wife and I both carry SA's, and neither of us have a prob. with the serrations, and sense my job requires that I use my hands a lot, I could really care less if it's uncomfortably sharp...as a matter of fact, it's better for me because my hands are 90% callus, and the serrations are a piece of cake for me to grab...the same with gloves. I'm sure Clint Smith would agree too, because he's hate to see a student slip while pulling the slide back...we can all handle a little pain in exchange for positive usage to save our lives.

Back