M1895 Nagant revolvers

Nice I would not even of thought to check that thanks for pointing that out I will know to look for it if I ever find one at a good price

kiliman, you sound like they were beautiful, or collectible or something ...... they made a hojillion of 'em ...... I'm interested in shooters. They could stamp braying donkeys on the side and I'd still shoot them.

True enough, but one would think the folks deciding where on the weapon to pencil the new numbering information would consider the aesthetics of their choice. There is plenty of room to work with on the other side of the Nagant and the original markings are left intact and without disfigurement.

When I look at the reconditioned pistols....

I am disappointed at the markings that the reconditioners put on the pistols they bring in.

My Nagant is in great shape. Tight, precise, nice finish. but the cheap looking markings sure do make it look like a compromise.

I suppose there is some idiotic rule that reconditioners must adhere to.

I'd looked at them when I was at AIM surplus a cpl years ago. A guy was picking one up. I thought hmmm? A antique military revolver for $100 bucks? I asked the guy about them and he talked like they were kind of a novelty. Rough trigger, not accurate etc. . I picked up my ammo and left.
Later I thought, they're not really that bad looking in a funny way and very good cond w/holster & accessories.
Last summer in my LGS they had several lined up in the case $129. So I bought one & two boxes of shells. I do like it ,the history, all the stuff that came with it & good cond. I might even get around to shooting it one day, but now it's more of a safe queen :)
I enjoyed seeing the YouTube video of shooting one suppressed. The only revolver I'm aware of that can do that.
It might be a similar case like when the sks's started coming in and $79 on sale.

Hi, Doc,

I am not sure which markings you mean, but an idiotic rule called the Gun Control Act of 1968 requires that importers put their name (or an approved abbreviation) on the gun, and the caliber. That was put into the law because it took several days to learn the importer of the Carcano rifle used by Oswald to kill JFK. For sporting arms, the factory usually puts on its name and location, plus the name of its authorized importer, but military surplus arms obviously don't have a U.S. importer's name on them and very rarely have the caliber marked (armies usually know what ammo they issue).

Jim

My Nagant....

Is marked with: "PW Arms Redmond WA" and under that M1895 RUSSIA 7.62X39R SER. 03097"

It is done professionally but certainly does not add to the value of the revolver (IMHO)

My Tokarev is marked in a way that is almost unreadable. I can make out 7.62x25 and Croatia but there is a three letter abbreviation which is either ORC or GRC followed my what appears to be a contraction of a city name. It is either MTNSBRG (Mountainsburg?) or MINSBRG (Minsburg ?) The the letters "WA" or "UVA". I have search these abbreviations every way I can think of unsuccessfully.

The marks on this pistol appear to have been put on at a date later than the manufacture of the pistol.

I love both of these pistols and would never regret the purchase. But I would like them better if they did not have these markings.

It is pretty obvious that import markings were put on after a milsurp gun was made. The importer can abbreviate his name and address and BATFE keeps a record of the markings for tracing purposes.

I am pretty sure the markings on your gun indicate importation by Gibbs Rifle Company (a Navy Arms Corp. subsidiary) of Martinsburg, West Virginia.

Jim

I am so in the market for one of these revos.

I say one at a LGS a few years ago and man I should have bought it!

Shells for these aren't too too bad in price. Somewhat hard to find but they can be had for about .36 cents a shot from places.

My 1931 marked M1895 cost $150 last year at Cabela's. I had been looking at them for years, and decided that was my chance. I figured with shipping and transfer costs, and the ability to check it out in person, it was a deal compared to the $99 online guns. The 1092 rd. tin of Russian surplus 7.62x38R cost twice as much as the gun. I guess I lucked out because I am not seeing them around now.

The old Nagant is an interesting design and collectible, but I never thought I would see the word "aesthetics" connected with it.

Jim

I'll pick one up eventually I'm sure for me the markings are a bit of annoyance from a collector point of view but as a shooter which this would be I could get over it if it was the right price..I'm hoping a shipment of them comes in son and we start seeing them in the low 100's again

Bought 2 of them for $99.00 and a spam can of ammo in 2012 right before the supply of both dried up. Haven't seen any at the surplus dealers since. Could almost double my money on the guns and the ammo if I were to sell them today. Not too many other things that you could do that with.

Seems like that is the new the new thing with most all guns these days prices have skyrocketed and honestly it seems better to always buy new anymore..I just got a colt 6920 with all the magpul goodies for 1100 otd..I was looking at them used before that and in my area the cheapest used I found was 1400..lol.if I knew a few years ago what I know now I would have a room full of all these guns that went up in price so much like the sks the 1895 the mosin and all those ak variants and I would be living pretty right now

Back