M1 Garand scratches brass - feed problems

just try smoothing that sharp edge down and maybe bring the size down just a hair. give it soft edges and polish vigorously , then go from there. don't take off much material to start, cause then you might be getting misfeeds, just tone it down a little

After looking at my cai and usgi Springfield side by side the cai has just a slightly larger hump. Very little extra material. I took a file to mine and brought it down with just a few strokes. Mine was just barely scratching the brass though.

Great, thanks for the help. I filed down the edge and it is easier on the brass, but it is still reluctant to feed those first few cartridges. Hopefully this will smooth out over time.

Economist,

From your own photo, the blueprint say the narrow part of the follower channel should be 0.725"-0.735" wide. It says the vertical edges of those "bumps" should be radiused 0.05" all the way to the bottom. It is hard to tell from your photo if you have that radius or not. The corners look awfully sharp, but I can't tell for certain.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Garand follower guide.jpg
    Garand follower guide.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 54
Unclenick, thanks for the help! I measured the channel and it is about .728 so it is a little on the tight side. The edges do not appear to be radiused at all. They are almost sharp to the touch. It looks like I have some more filing to do.

Please reduce the sizer of your pictures. 1024 x 1820 is far too big. Take forever to load this page for a dial up member.
Aside from a CAI receiver being suspect, M1 Rifles to tend to bash the empties on the receiver on the way out. Not a big deal.

Back