M1 Garand & M1903 Springfield

The M1 could jam in heavy mud, not an issued with the Springer.

EVERYTHING can jam in heavy mud. It's usually less of an issue with a bolt action, but they are not immune.

The semi auto's advantage over the bolt action in ammo capacity, and especially rate of aimed fire is the reason to have a semi auto in the first place.

That jungle ambush probably would have ended the same way if our side had used Tommyguns, M1 Carbines, or BARs.

I have both an '03 and a Garand.
If I were going to do a lot of holding, carrying, and marching, like my grandfather did in the Great War, I'd prefer the lighter, sleeker '03.
If I were going to do a lot of shooting, I'd prefer the Garand.
The sights on the Garand are miles better than the early, WWI-vintage '03s, but on par with the '03A3s of WWII.
All of the discussions about capacity, firepower, the "ping", etc., vary greatly with the circumstances.
For all of the stories about Germans waiting for the ping to attack, I've heard stories from the Pacific about Japanese counting the five rounds fired from a Springfield before charging; unless you are facing a single opponent, neither story makes much sense.

Wyosmith

I read your post and then Old Ropers and I guess he has a problem with reading comprehension. You said nothing but good about both army and marines in the Pacific. The fact that the enlisted men in the army actually "made presents" of their m1s to the marines speaks loudly of the togetherness and can do attitude of the US soldier.

For all of the stories about Germans waiting for the ping to attack, I've heard stories from the Pacific about Japanese counting the five rounds fired from a Springfield before charging; unless you are facing a single opponent, neither story makes much sense.

The most unbelievable things do happen in war, and some believable things are unable to be proven. And then there are things that just make good stories...

I've heard all kinds of different stories about the "ping". Enemy attack after the ping, GIs bouncing empty clips off rocks to make a ping to get the enemy to attack, GIs working in pairs, one shooting, one in reserve until the ping of the first GI going empty drew the enemy out...all kinds of stories.

Probably all of them happened somewhere, sometime, to somebody. What I know is that from more than a dozen or so yards away, I can't hear the ping of an M1 going empty. It occurs to me, that if you are close enough to hear the ping as a distinct sound, you're also in grenade range. :eek:

And, I would think that, if you cannot see the individual who's M1 "pings", then all you know is that somebody is momentarily out of ammo.

So I take the ping thing stories with a grain of salt, like any sea story.

I acquired a Remington 03-A3 .30-06 fully parkerized in pristine condition. It came with the original stock (which I kept) but added a sporterized stock for comfort. Wanted to put a scope on it until the gunsmith asked if he could show it to his fellow shop smith. His comment was, "this has not been shot very much, has it?" Both gun smiths said if it was theirs, they wouldn't alter it since it would mean removing some of the steel to do so. I took their advice. It is a wartime sniper rifle.

I acquired a Remington 03-A3 .30-06 fully parkerized in pristine condition. It came with the original stock (which I kept) but added a sporterized stock for comfort. Wanted to put a scope on it until the gunsmith asked if he could show it to his fellow shop smith. His comment was, "this has not been shot very much, has it?" Both gun smiths said if it was theirs, they wouldn't alter it since it would mean removing some of the steel to do so. I took their advice. It is a wartime sniper rifle.

Hi. I'm a little confused.

If your Remington was a wartime sniper rifle, it already is drilled and tapped for the 'scope mount. The mount uses the dovetail that normally is home to the rear sight, and a drilled and tapped hole on top of the receiver, just a bit rearward of the handguard

The sniper version of the 03A3 was marked '03A3' but that marking and the serial number were offset to the edges of the receiver on each side so that the scope mount would not obscure either set of markings.

Could you please post some photographs of your rifle? It may be 'scope-ready at this very instant with no modifications.

Back