M1 Garand ban lifted!

KBP75

"Obama finally lifted his re-importation ban on the 84,417 M1 Garands that have been sitting in a Korean warehouse." Headline on Yahoo news today! Where can I buy one of these?

If this is true:

Korea is gonna sell them to some jobber, which will add their mark up. Some how I don't see there is going to be a deal here.

If you want a M1, buy one from the CMP. The prices are the best you'll find. Before they are put up for sale, the CMP Armors go over them to make sure they are serviceable and safe.

If there is a problem, you'll not find better customer service anywhere.

The proceeds from the sale of CMP guns go to fund their shooting programs, mainly geared toward Junior Programs.

I thought it was M-1 Carbines,,,

But I've been wrong before.

Please post a link if you can,,,
I searched yahoo news and found nothing.

Aarond

M1 Grand import lifted?

Here is a link on line. CNN had a scrolling headline on TV this afternoon that said the ban was lifted on imports of Korean M1 Grands! This story might not be what we had hoped for, but it might be a start! My father was a Korean war veteran so I might have a chance to get one! Will it be worth the cost? http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=68623 :confused:

I worked with the Korean White Horse Div. in Korea in '65 and in Vietnam in '66 and from what I remember mostly during their training was the M1 Carbines and M1 Garands were mostly beaters IMO. The weapons were given to Korea under the Lend Lease program plus some were also given to them under many of the other trade/aid programs. They were armed with the latest weapons in Vietnam. I would buy from the CMP.

The link to a link you posted is a Korean news article....from January of 2012.

As I said before, the Koreans are reporting this...not the US. And it would wise to realize that the Koreans are likely being a more than a bit overzealous in reporting this...

This news headline that CNN TV posted yesterday on the ban being lifted on importing M1s is very strange. I immediately searched CNN online also, and the only article I could find was the one I posted! Why would they post a 4 month old article written in a Korean newspaper? It doesn't seem to have any merit at all to me! The reason I posted it here was to find out if there was something I missed and see if anyone else saw the headline on CNN. Ken:confused:

Im glad the ban was lifted, I hope the Garands show up here, I would love it if the M1 Carbines could as well.
The CMP is a wonderfull thing, but some of us cant drive 1000 miles or so to go to a club match, it would be nice to be able to just order one with your C&R.

Last edited:
I almost was ready to call this BS but I found this article.

Sadly, and as I originally thought on why ban these rifles, M1 carbines will still be banned. Apparently the South Koreans have over 600k stock piled. Obama won't allow the carbines because of how they accept magazines. He most likely allowed garands because they are 8 rounds in a clip only.

http://waznmentobe.com/guns/obama-partially-relents-will-allow-importation-of-m1-garand-rifles-still-blocking-m1-carbines.html

Here is an earlier article with more info:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/08/obama-continues-ban-on-importation-of-600000-historical-collectible-m1-carbine-rifles-fate-of-86000-garands-still-in-doubt/

The whole Clip thing is Silly, why shound it matter if a Rifle accepts a Clip ?
I think every able bodied American Man should be issued a Rifle with a Clip.
Different Strokes I guess.:rolleyes:

The whole Clip thing is Silly, why shound it matter if a Rifle accepts a Clip ?

Well someone can reload faster and have to reload less often when shooting a M1 carbine compared to a garand.

The big time hypocrisy is how many AKs and ARs are already floating around. The m1 carbine ammo is harder to find. I highly doubt thugs will start buying up M1 carbines. In a SHTF scenario, I'd rather have a AR followed by a AK. After those 2, I don't know what, but I still wouldn't pick a carbine. They were a great gun for the time, but importing 600k of them would have little criminal significance today.

Thanks for all the replies! We should keep our eyes and ears searching the news to see if anything new about these M1s comes up! Right now, I'm disappointed and feel this is no news to get excited about! :(

The word is that these rifles are in absolutely terrible condition.

Regardless of how cheap it is, I don't know if a potentially unsafe project Garand is for me.

TX Hunter said:
The CMP is a wonderfull thing, but some of us cant drive 1000 miles or so to go to a club match, it would be nice to be able to just order one with your C&R.

You may want to review the eligibility requirements, a match is no longer required, and hasn't been for some time.

You need to join a member club, and there are many that qualify, and show proof of "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity" which a number of things cover:

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm
CMP said:
Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status. - Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms/marksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Back