M1 carbines and garands made by Singer

Whoa now!

aviationr, welcome to the forum!!

But unspoken rule #1 here is pictures. If you've visited our forum more than a time or 2 you know someone's gonna ask for pictures!! :)

Threads getting out of hand

Pbratton asked why this thread got out of hand?

I posted a response a month or so back about M-1 carbines and said that in 1970 I picked out, my carbine at a surplus armory in Washington D C from a group of 11 other rifles because the armorer told me it was made by Singer.

12 Va. Beach police officers paid $45.00 for each rifle under a program promoted by the NRA to put these weapons into the hands of police officers for use on patrol.

Four years later I sold my Singer made carbine for $150.00, so I couldn't supply a picture of same.

Several self appointed forum police and drug store gun experts chimed in that my comments were made up, that I was confused, or you can't make a horse drink water, etc. Please refer to previous postings prior to this reply.

The minutia of war production during WWII is so vast, I defy anyone to know it all.

This forum I thought was to entertain, or inform, and not to berate a fellow member for comments made about anything. We all see questions asked here that seem a little, "well you know". Five minutes later it all gets explained to the novice gun owner.

We get enough made up stuff/cool aid on a daily basis from the White House for me to do it.

My mother(RIP) assembled M-1 Garands at the International Harvester plant in Louisville. Ky. Some of the parts were made somewhere else and shipped in for final assembly.

Thank God we could make enough parts, like barrels, recievers and triggers in EAST UNDERWEAR. ALABAMA and later put them together in PODUNK, TEXAS. to defeat our common enemy.

My 2 cents worth.

Jim S.

Last edited:
Subcontractors make parts. Contractors make the product. Singer didn't contract, they subcontracted.

http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIID2b1311.html

Singer made M1911A1s. they are the rarest maker. They did not make M1911s. They did not make "WWII garand rifles"

I don't mean to step on toes or call anyone out. I'd love to see a USGI Singer M1 Carbine. I don't think I'm going to though. Might see an Underwood B stamp

Last edited:
pbratton:
This might not interest you, but among many other types of trans-Atlantic WW2 industry, you probably also know that most Lee-Enfield #4/1 rifles, used by British and Commonwealth troops in WW2, were built in Canada (Longbranch) and
the US (Savage).

Legally speaking, isn't the receiver considered to be the gun? Isn't that why you have to have a FFL to get an AR receiver shipped directly to you? If so, if the Singer Co. manufactured the receiver for those WWII carbines, wasn't Singer in fact considered to be the manufacturer of those guns?

:) Please pick out which one is the M1 carbine from the following photos

carbinestock.jpg

carbrec.jpg

While you have a point from a legal standpoint DG, also consider this- if I sell to you an M1 carbine receiver, does my bill of sale read "M1 carbine" or does it read "M1 carbine receiver"? If you were to read an advertisement selling "M1 carbines", and then you went to the store to buy one and you discovered that they were actually selling just receivers, is the store being deceitful? Why is it that legally, a seller lists receivers instead of the rifle?

If my gun store (if I had one) sells to you an "M1 carbine" for 700 dollars, and then we ship you an m1 carbine receiver, have we done anything legally wrong?

Singer subcontracted. I think that's the perceptual problem with this whole issue. Subcontractors do not produce the finished product, by definition of their role. If somebody can show me that M1 carbines left the Singer plant in a completed state, and all Underwood did was then re-sell them, I will carefully and thoroughly re-think that statement! :) If Underwood did anything to what Singer made, then how did Singer produce the final product? With the prime contractor, all Singer did in that case was make a sub-component at best

Legal contortions of what makes a firearm is an interesting point. I think that the scenario here is that using the M1 carbine as an example, the M1 carbine receiver is a firearm legally, not that the M1 carbine receiver is the M1 carbine. I think that's why the generic term 'firearm' is used. I would actually appreciate any member's clarification of that point; it seems to be one of those clear as mud situations that benefits people other than firearm owners, although that topic may be best suited for the 'general discussion' forum

edit-
and now after posting, I'd love to go to the rifle range today but I'm too busy!

Last edited:
singer garand

I work with a guy (both in army), and he swears he has a singer garand back home in Texas. When he goes home again, Im going to have hime get pictures. So I know this is an older thread, but lets wait n see

M1 Singer Garands

In 1967 while going thru basic training at Fort Lewis I was issued a Singer M1 Garand. I shot expert with this rifle missing only the last target because the linseed oil from stock starting boiling from barrel heat causing my glasses to fog up. I recall being amazed that a sewing machine company had made rifles.

In 1967 while going thru basic training at Fort Lewis I was issued a Singer M1 Garand. I shot expert with this rifle missing only the last target because the linseed oil from stock starting boiling from barrel heat causing my glasses to fog up. I recall being amazed that a sewing machine company had made rifles.

As Slam Fire already stated, there were 4 manuf's of the M-1 Garand. Springfield, Winchester, H&R and IHC. H&R came in after WWII as did IHC. By the way Winchester built the worse one's (poor machine work) while IHC's goal was to build the best one.

Wildsamon, if you in fact had a Singer M-1 Garand, you had in your hands a very rare and a one of a kind rifle. Sorry. I'm not trying to make you feel bad. Its just there are no records of Singer producing M-1 Garands. I wonder if by chance you weren't thinking about a tractor company making M-1 Garands.

I've heard some people claim they were issued a Tanker M-1. Gee, I wonder which one of the four built by Springfield they got.

Last edited:
I went through basic training in 1965 at Fort Knox with an M-14. My father went through basic training in 1942 with an M-1. My son went through basic training in Fort Knox in 2004 with an M-16. I am aware the National Guard was still using M-1s in the 1970s but I did not know they were still being used in basic training in 1967. I never saw an M-1 or an M-16 when I was in the army.

You weren't issued a Mattel M-16 too , were ya?

The Army issued M14's for basic training at Ft Lewis in 1966/67 when I was their, I don't think they would revert back to the Garands, the M14 was standard issue for active Army personnel. I was issued my first M16 in late 1968 in SE Asia. The hand guards did not say "Made by Mattel" it didn't jam or fail, it ran like a Swiss watch if kept it clean. So did the two M60's I signed out each day. PM kept you alive.

I'd bet any Singers still in US inventory after WWII went thru R&R. I have seen a few Singer slides , perhaps more slides were made and released as spares. All were parkerized.

Singer M1 Carbines

I have a Singer M1 Carbine. I believe it is a 1943. I would look at it but it is in MO in my gun safe and I am out in PA working ATM. I kn ow this is a very old post but I wanted to clear it up they do exsist.......

I have a Singer M1 Carbine. I believe it is a 1943. I would look at it but it is in MO in my gun safe and I am out in PA working ATM. I kn ow this is a very old post but I wanted to clear it up they do exsist.......

Several people have thought they had a Singer M1 Carbine/Garand, but nobody has yet provided a picture of one.

I suppose it's not impossible that such a thing exists, but if so it has escaped the attention of everyone who has ever documented two of the most thoroughly documented firearms in history.

Singer was definitely involved in 1911 pistol production, but there is no evidence to suggest they were involved in either M1.

I have collected Carbines for fifty years, have lots of research material by the most noted authorities and nowhere has Singer been mentioned as a primary carbine contractor. Some of these posts have no more foundation than a lost gold mine, this one died several years ago so put it back in the grave!

Back