M1 Carbine Problem

With all that mixing of parts, it has little "collector" value.
No modifications you do to it will make it lose any value

One question I have is sense mosin has been all over the place with his shooting maybe he is best to do a Ron Popeil and set it and forget it. Maybe it's you, the shooter, the ammo, or another number of things that needs to be dealt with first.

I know several guys who can shoot a few rifles great but then they pick up one and you wonder what they're doing because the pattern is anything but.

This is probably the reason why every deer season the local hardware store sells a pallet of lead sleds for zeroing rifles.

When discussing muzzle wear on the M1 carbine and M1/M14 rifle, remember that both were normally cleaned from the muzzle with steel rods. While the army cleaning rods are softer than barrel steel (duh!), continued use over decades will destroy the rifling at the muzzle end. This did not especially concern the U.S. Army since a wealthy nation can afford to rebarrel its rifles. Conterboring was normally done by nations whose budgets were tight.

Jim

To be fair my shooting has improved a good bit lately, and the only time I shot this rifle was when I first got my Mosin. So I might need to re-evaluate it.

Mosin,
It's not meant to kick you I hope you understand. Sure there could be something wrong with the rifle that pictures could clear up but I don't want you to think all rifles that shoot bad for some reason need major work or rebarreling.

A simple example is I have a Model 25 Marlin 22lr that as a kid I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with. My dad wouldn't let me doctor it and fix what I thought was wrong and it wasn't important enough for me to bother my gunsmith grandpa to fix. If I was shooting 25 yards I had to aim 4 over and 7 up to hit the bullseye no matter what. 2 years ago I was finally able to fix it and the rear sight was just warped way out of shape. I knew that 20 years ago.

Of course in this example I was right which you may be but you don't have to solve all of your families gun problems. Save some for later when you might be an amateur gunsmith or even more.

M-M,

I hesitated to mention this earlier for the very comment regarding "amateur gunsmith" in the above post, BUT:

Your CAN try to do your own re-crown job!

By chucking a BRASS ROUND head screw into a drill. And going low speed using 1st a lapping compound followed by a polishing compound . This will just clean-up a bad crown w/o removing any barrel length. Caution to other readers -This only works on a std round type, DON'T use this on a recessed target type crown.

PS I, too, Really wish you would post a pics of the problems.

Last edited:
Snyper wrote:

Quote: "Your CAN try to do your own re-crown job!"

I've done them that way too, but in the OP's case, he's saying the rifling is basically gone for the first .5 inches.

Yes, I saw that in the OP's post.
But if a re-bore or barrel cut and re-crown or re-barrel will eventually have to be done, I figure he'll have nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying this 1st.

Pics would help to judge if its worth a try.

"...and that must have got in my head..." Geezuz, get Universal out of there. snicker.
I'd be re-crowning a mix master myself. Assuming the muzzle wear isn't horrible. Brownell's sell the tool. Not exactly cheap though. Starts at about $100.
Mind you, the ammo Grandpa is using might be the issue too.

Back