M1 carbine help!!!

Did you use a pipe cleaner in the barrel's gas port? If you bend the tip of the pipe cleaner, you can easily reach the port tube clear into the barrel.

I have been using factory ammo, and it does it without the magazine even in so thats not an issue. could it be the 5 rounds that cycled fine were enough to foul up the oil that was in the gas cylinder?

The chamber is clean and the entire rifle was clean, its got me stumped, maybe the headspace is off?? im not sure, sometimes it has trouble seating a round in the chamber, maybe the chamber is reacting to the heat of the first 5 rounds?

Did you check how the operating slide moved to see if it was hanging up. Easy to check with the carbine barreled action out of the stock and work the slide and bolt, watch if it is hanging up on the receiver sides. i had trouble with one that had some dings in the slide rails and filed them smooth and problem went away.

i checked the slide, it is not hanging up on anything, smooth as silk, the slide gets hard to pull back obviously when it goes to push the hammer down, other then that it cycles very smooth. I am stumped!! :confused:

The chamber is clean and the entire rifle was clean, its got me stumped, maybe the headspace is off?? im not sure, sometimes it has trouble seating a round in the chamber, maybe the chamber is reacting to the heat of the first 5 rounds?

I seriously doubt its a heat issue...especially after only five rounds. You need to take apart the gas system and re-clean it. You never said if you were able to clear to gas port with a pipe cleaner. There may be serious copper fouling or some other piece of crud obstructing the gas port from the bore side of the barrel.

the gas port is completely clear, i stuck wire thru it and poured bore cleaner into the gas cylinder and it quickly drained into the bore via the gas port, i seriously do not know what else it could be, i think i may be better off getting rid of this headache, you guys think this gun is worth the 240 dollars or am i better off just getting my money back?

Thanks for the help everyone - zak

I've been reading this thread and thinking

Firstly, this is not a USGI carbine. It may- or may not- have a majority of USGI parts on it. Then again it may not. I am too lazy to go look it up in my ATF book. Is this weapon even a curio&relic item?

Secondly, most USGI carbines still work with a minimum of maintenance. The design is simple and robust. I can't help but think something is up with the commercial receiver or the wood that is making the rest of the parts malfunction

Lastly, are we overlooking that classic USGI carbine "failure": oprod binding on the stock or handguard?

i seriously do not know what else it could be, i think i may be better off getting rid of this headache, you guys think this gun is worth the 240 dollars or am i better off just getting my money back?

It is not a GI Carine and if it was working fine then I would say keep it and enjoy it. But commercial carbines are notorious for being out of spec and plagued with issues. Since it already has one hard to troubleshoot problem I would sell it back to your friend and let him know what you tried in case it helps him narrow it down. Give the reputations of commercial Cabines you never know if you solve this problem it might have some other thing out of spec. Who knows, maybe the gas port is out of spec but do you really want to try enlarging it to find out? IS it supposed to have the same spec as the GI Carbines or is it located differently on the barrel, etc., etc., etc.

Chris I have a feeling that the receiver is out of spec perhaps, it also looks like the wood is a little close to moving parts of the gun.

Don't mean to sound like an idiot, but when you say oprod binding on the stock handguard, do you mean the oprod (slide connected to the bolt right?) binding on the wood stock? or that cheesey metal handguard on top of the barrel in front of the chamber?

NWPilgrim: I think this thing really must be out of spec or something, I am not a gunsmith, but I certainly know how to avoid a gunsmith and take care of my guns as well as I can, and try and repair them when I am able, but this thing has got me completely stumped, and to go any further then this on a "repro" carbine doesn't seem worthwhile, you are right. thanks for the input

- zak

The oprod is the "operating rod". It's what you pull back and release to load the rifle. May be called the "operating slide" officially.

The oprod could bind on either the stock or or I suppose the handguard, but more commonly the stock from what I have seen

You bought it knowing it had problems. So, unless you and your friend had an agreement that if you couldn't fix it that he'd buy it back, I think you're stuck with it. I'd send it to Numrich and let them part it out if it were mine. JMHO :cool:

I hope it is OK if I jump on this thread. I have a similar gun (National Ordinance version) that I got with out a magazine. I bought an aftermarket mag for it and he mag does not fit securely in the receiver. It will not load properly. Someone suggested sarcoinc.com for mags. ALSO, I bought Wolf .30 Carbine (7.62x33) FMJ ammo. The bullet will not load completely into the breach. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

I hope it is OK if I jump on this thread. I have a similar gun (National Ordinance version) that I got with out a magazine. I bought an aftermarket mag for it and he mag does not fit securely in the receiver. It will not load properly. Someone suggested sarcoinc.com for mags. ALSO, I bought Wolf .30 Carbine (7.62x33) FMJ ammo. The bullet will not load completely into the breach. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Hi

I can't help about Commercial M1 Carbines; sorry.

But it's almost always a good idea to start a new thread about your question instead of tagging it at the end of another discussion. Not only is the old discussion 'old' and sometimes played out, it's confusing to start talking about two rifles in the same thread

You say that manually cycling the action will eject the cartridge normally, but have you checked the tension of the ejector and its spring?

Atomicsaladbowl:

Like the M1 guarnd the carbine works best with a grease of the consistency of GI lubraplate. It's worth a try when nothing else is working.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Back