M&P Shield 9 Issue

DubC-Hicks makes an excellent suggestion on the Glock 43.

When I was looking for a small 9mm single stack for carry, I looked at the Sheid, a Springfield, a Kimber and the Glock 43. For me it came down to the Shield or the Glock. I have never owned nor shot a Glock, but it was nice and I remember the slide racked easier than the Shield. At the time. the delivery on the 43 was iffy due to demand. The LGS showed me the one that had been ordered and was awaiting pick up. If they would have had one in stock. I probably would have taken it over the Shield. Not bad mouthing the Shield as it is a good pistol, but. for my older hands, the Glock was much better.

It might be an excellent alternative for her and should be easy enough to find one now that she could look at. Good luck!

"I can lock the slide to the rear without an issue, but I did notice that it was more difficult than most pistols I've worked with. My wife can barely do it at all."

Why does your wife need to lock the slide back? She can fire and reload without that, no?

My M&P Shield is just to difficult to rack. It takes some of the fun out of using it. I recently purchased the M&P Shield EZ 380 and it is a breeze to rack and loading the magazine is also very easy.
I have heard that using a one piece stainless steel guide rod make racking somewhat easier. I plan to purchase and use one in my M&P Shield before I get rid of it to see if it helps.

I know one Lady who dealt with "hard racking" by only doing it once a day.
She would arrive at the range, grit her teeth, and rack the slide to load the pistol. After that, the gun was either being shot, it was idle but loaded with the safety on, or it was empty with the slide locked back. In the last case, all it took was a fresh magazine and a push of the slide release or a yank on the slide to resume shooting.

I'm assuming your wife knows the 'push forward with strong hand while pulling back with the weak hand' technique, and it's still difficult?

Smith makes a 9MM EZ for folks who want a gun that's easier to rack. There are also 'cocking ears' sold by different folks who can help give a better grip on the slide, which can help.

Larry

When shooting a Les Baer 1911, I learned to retract the slide by placing my hand on top of the slide and toward the rear so that the web of my hand engaged the rear sight as I pulled the slide backward. At the same time, I have the grip frame in my dominant hand and push it forward.

Springfield XDE is designed to be easy to rack. I've shot one and it isn't bad if you like DA/SA.
And if you thumb cock a 1911 first it is pretty easy to rack. Just a thought.

The slide on your Shield will loosen up after several thousand rounds. A little. You want to look at the shield EZ 9 which has a much lighter spring.

Back