M-1 loads

In the book referenced below,IIRC the minimum head clearance recommended for M-1and M-14 type rifles was .006.

The reason it is so generous is for reliable full battery lockup.

Thats not from me.Its from Dave Brennan,and co-authors Fred Sinclair a Bill Gravatt

With that much head clearance,you will get stretch rings,and case life will not be great.

My guess? Maybe 4 to 6? I dont know for sure.

You are neck turning for 200 yd steel torso targets?

Hmm. However you like to spend your time.:)

Lapua bass is known for not requiring prep and lasting longer.It might be worth the expense.

One tip Bart passed is the bolt faces are typically not square,so the case
heads on used brass will not be square.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Sh...efix=Precision+Shooting,stripbooks,229&sr=1-3

Bart

I'm well aware of SMLE's and prior barrels being loose. I had one.

HiBC

No I'm not neck turning for steel targets, my OP ask if Neck turning/adjusting neck tension would create feeding issues? Sorry you missed it.

The head clearance is also the reason for the advice not to reload cases more than four times, and not to be shooting to the right of someone who tries to make them last longer, as a sharp, torn-off head may wind up coming your way.

Uncle Nick

I headspace my cases to minimum and they work flawlessly and don't use small base dies. I have reloaded with the same cases 10 plus times with no issues. My Garand is a post war rifle. Maybe with war Garands caution is needed.

Last edited:
update on OP question..... guess I should have asked it before but..

Neck turning/adjusting neck tension would create feeding issues? Would less neck tension create less pressure and cause action short stroking ?

I don't think so.

I've shot the same load with about 50 and 10 pounds of bullet pull force without functioning problems.

Back in the day, people shooting military 30 caliber match ammo sometimes used a Lyman nutcracker 310 tool to seat bullets a bit deeper. Pull force was much less and more uniform so muzzle velocity spread was a lot less reducing vertical spread on target.

What percentage of published commercial load data includes bullet pull force?

Why doesn't SAAMI specs for ammo include bullet pull force?

Why does USA military specs for rifle ammo include bullet pull force?

Last edited:
There are a lot of us here who know we are not that far from being on the wrong side of the sod.
We spent a lifetime accumulating knowledge and experience.
So what,when we croak.

A lot of us would like nothing better than to pass it on to the younger folks coming up behind us.

Then it can live on.

You were just back sassing a World Champion Shooter who is trying to help you.

Do you want to see backs walking away?

Take a deep breath,do some deep thinking. You are slapping GOLD away.

Being a bit humble and a bit grateful and being respectful will do a lot for your welcome.

The kids who were taken along fishing and hunting are the ones who said "Yes,sir",No Sir,,Please,thank you,etc,

A minor adjustment might go a long way.

Back