M-1 loads

Not as long as it takes at least 20 pounds of force to pull the bullet out of the case neck.

That's MILSPEC for M72 30-06 match ammo.

I had a feeling but I figured I'd ask. Not much you can do for extreme spread or SD. I know bedding and other things can be done, but what 's the best an M-1 can do? The standard .002 neck tension I load with standard a FL sizer die.

Thoughts?

Bart will know what the Navy team's guns could do. I fit up my DCM Garand about 1987 or so and the first 10 rounds (Sierra 168's and 4895) I put out of it from prone stayed in 0.75" C.T.C. at 100 yards. That was with the original barrel, too. If I'd got one of the heavy match barrels at the same time, it might have gone closer to half moa. It didn't stay that tight for very long, though, and was shooting closer to 1 MOA after a few weeks, then settled.

Unclenick,it wasn't just the rifle that shot that well,prone.

Sure,its good to find the fractions of MOA where you can, but at least from my point of view,the greatest gains can be made with the shooter.

As I read in the Precision Shooting's book on Handloading for Competition (or something like that)

You can spend the time and energy to make 100 near perfect rounds,and thats good

Or you can spend the same time and energy to make maybe 500 rounds of ammo that is quality, consistent, pretty darn good match worthy ammo.
Trim,chamfer,full length size,brush necks. Powder measure charges. A Dillon will do fine.

The extra 400 rounds of practice may show more gain on the target from the shooter than the meticulous ammo can provide from the rifle.

I'm not telling anyone how to live and I'm not a competition shooter.

Just offering something to think about

Last edited:
USN rebuilt 7.62 Garands tested about 1/3 MOA at 100 yards only with new cases. 1/2 MOA for 30-06 versions. Bullets need to be at least .0005" larger than the barrel's groove diameter

Their bolt face was never squared up and like M14 competition rifles, none were not that accurate with reloads.

You need to first get a match grade barrel installed.

Then have the rifle match conditioned. Problem is, I think there's no longer anyone doing that to the quality needed.

Last edited:
Lapua used to have some .309's, IIRC. I've run into .3085's before, but can't recall who was making them. Given, though, that .3080"-.3082" are most common, the last time I got a Krieger barrel, I had it cut to .3075" groove diameter. I expect Boots Obermeyer could do the same thing.

Lapua used to have some .309's, IIRC.

Yep, that was the 170gr rebated boat tail D46 bullet with a .309" diameter. Bought a bunch of those when they were still available. The only D46 bullet that Lapua lists now is a 185gr bullet with a .308" diameter.

Don

Western Cartridge Company once made heavy 30 caliber match bullets in .3087" and .3088" diameters for use in pre '64 Winchester 70 match rifles chambered for the 308 Win. Their factory barrel groove diameters were .3085" or thereabouts.

Yep, that was the 170gr rebated boat tail D46 bullet with a .309" diameter. Bought a bunch of those when they were still available. The only D46 bullet that Lapua lists now is a 185gr bullet with a .308" diameter.

Don
I put 18 of them into the 6 inch X-ring shooting a Garand at 600 yards slung up in prone.

Another competitor testing his Winchester 70 put 40 of those Lapuas inside 2 inches at 600. One of his 10 shot groups at .8 inch was pictured in a Lapua advertisement in a late 1971 issue of the American Rifleman magazine.

Last edited:
The British Commonwealth fullbore rifle matches requiring 7.62 NATO M80 ball ammo typically use 30 inch barrels with a .3065 inch groove diameter so the .3070 inch diameter bullets are very accurate through 1000 yards staying supersonic.

Back