Lyman GPR Flint: Fantasy Piece?

.54 makes a good hunting rifle with round ball. I have a .50 GPR percussion for plinking and squirrel. For big game, a .58 get's the nod. Momma don't allow no casting around here, so plinking with a .58 costs twice as much as the fifty. I use a 4cc scoop of Pyrodex RS right out of the jar, which is a little light for a .58, but pretty right on for a fifty. Point is, they don't need overloading to be accurate and effective.

Thinking of whether it is a fantasy gun or not, you could consider that the Harper's Ferry Model 1803, the very first U.S. rifle made at an American armory, was a half-stock flinter and a very handsome rifle. It was also .54 caliber. And many think it was the rifle taken by the Lewis and Clark corps on their famous expedition. If you like stuff with a historical reference this might interest you.

The Lyman does not look exactly like the Harper's Ferry, but the guys here say it doesn't look like a Hawken either. I put one together (.50) a few years ago. It is a ball to shoot, accurate, reliable flint ignition, and it looks enough like a Hawken to satisfy my nonpurist taste.

dont worry mod12,,,,54 will do anything you ask it to do,,,you made a good pick my friend

been using 54 for many many years,,,,dont recall it ever making my shoulder hurt,,,,but it has always made my face smile

ocharry

The Lyman does not look exactly like the Harper's Ferry, but the guys here say it doesn't look like a Hawken either.

It's about as close to a Hawken as you can get in a reasonably priced production rifle. It's a lot closer to a Hawken than a TC or CVA Hawken but then Lyman doesn't call it a Hawken either. It's not a bad interpretation of a general plains rifle.

Back