Luger value?

Congratulations!!

And an excellent price, as Lugers go!

Now, a word about shooting it...

NO +P stuff!!! never, NEVER, NEVER!!!
(not because the gun will blow up, but because the gun WILL break, sooner than later. Stick the hot stuff in a different gun, something newer ;))

The gun was built to run on German 9mm spec, which was at that time, a 115gr FMJ at 1150fps (4" barrel). It should function with "standard" ball, do not run the stuff that does 1200fps+, its hard on the gun.

It probably won't feed anything but FMJ ammo, but it might. Lugers seem to be very individual guns.

I have a 1936 s/42 and it runs ok with Federal (American Eagle) 115gr FMJ (haven't tested anything else), I don't shoot it much...

Its a WW I collectable piece of history. If you don't beat it to death with hot loads, or shooting thousands of rounds, it should last quite well, and probably still be shootable long after your kids inherit it.

Again, congratulations, welcome to the world of people who actually own a Luger, and no longer have to dream about it.

They can be quirky. They have disadvantages that later generations of guns avoided, but they are just NEAT! and iconic. One of the 3 most recognized pistols in the world, along with the cowboy six shooter (Colt SAA) and the GI .45 Auto.

Did it come with the tool??? If not, they aren't expensive, and are the "required" accessory, along with a spare magazine, there are spots in the holster for both.

I've found that my Luger really likes 115gr Perfecta and Federal brass. Never a malfunction with either. And it's accuracy is on par with my newer pistols.

Mitchell Arms Lugar

Don't forget the American made Mitchell Arms Luger. Have had two. First one shot OK; but it went with the ex-wife. I replaced it (and the wife) a few years later. And it is a real shooter; she's a real looker. Also have an Erma Luger .22; it jams a lot but is fun to own.

Many thanks to each of you for providing such valuable information.
This one did not include the tool so I will be sure to order one.

I usually load 124grain plated round nose 9mm. Typically using power pistol on the lighter end of the load data. Do you think that would be an acceptable round to test with? I read somewhere that some lugers like the heavier 9mm bullets.

I don't plan to shoot this one often but I definitely want to try it out.

Ol Georg and DWM liked the 8 gramme bullet. 124 grains.
I can only assume the army thought half a gram of lead was worth saving and went to 115 gr.

I think shape is important. Heck, even my Colt wants the rather pointy FMJ or plated loaded as long as the magazine will take.

Luger sold his first Parabellums in 1900, cal 7.65mm Luger, to the Swiss. The German military didn't like the small bullet.

1902 he "straightened out" the .30 and made the 9mm. (which is tapered, not straight, I know that, ;))

The German NAVY bought some in 1904, and 1906, and the Army got on board in 1908.

The original loading was a 124gr FMJ at 1050fps (4"). Sometime before WWI (can't find the exact date) the load was changed to a 115gr @ 1150fps.

A 1916 P.08 should handle either well enough.

::EDIT:: Disregard post below. The pistol chambers and ejects 9mm dummy rounds without issue. Many thanks to everyone.

One last question and we can let this thread die. I wanted to verify to myself that the pistol is 9mm as it was labeled in store, rather than .30

A 9mm bullet dropped into the field stripped barrel passes through the chamber and stops snugly at the beginning of the rifling. Photo located here
https://goo.gl/photos/o1yqzaeb7kRwkJpf7

Safe to assume 9mm?

Last edited:
Back