Luger value?

jclayto

I have always wanted to add a Luger to my collection but I confess I do not know as much about them as I should. A local store has a 1916 DWM 9mm standard for $939. It seems to be in overall good condition. I have not had a chance to field strip it so I assume it is a mix Master and not all matching parts. Given that assumption, what is a fair price?

that's a reasonable price. Is it a war gun or bring back with foreign service (Nazi) stamps? Could increase value for some people. Is it .30 cal? Could decease value. Everything is collector attitude some people may prefer a .30 cal for a civilian pistol some not. Is rifling sharp? Is the barrel innards hazed or pitted, etc. I don't mean to baffle you with questions just some things you may want to consider.

jclayto said:
Is it .30 cal? Could decease value.
OP says it's a 9mm. :)

I concur with reddog81 – assuming it's functional and complete, the bore is in reasonably good shape, it hasn't been modified other than swapping OEM parts, and it's not a total basket case cosmetically, this is a good price. I would expect it to be mostly non-matching. $900ish seems to be about the going rate for a reasonably original shooter-grade ("NRA Good") 9mm Luger these days.

Offer $800 and see what that brings, but $940 is a good price for a shooter with decent bore and finish. Especially a Great War 1916. Buy it if you want it, and don't dally, the Law of Lugers is, buy on sight. Someone will, be sure it's you.

Thank you everyone for the advice. Be assured you are not overwhelming me, this is the type of questions that I need to evaluate.

This gun has been in my local Cabelas store for I believe well over a year now wearing typical "gun library" pricing. I was shocked to see it 50% off today as I have never found a deal that I would even consider there. I was able to negotiate down a touch lower but left without buying so that I can do more research. I haven't ruled it out but not convinced that it's a must buy.

Here it is - does anyone see anything that would make this a definite must by?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/shooting-sports-classic/gun-library/greenville-gun-library%7C/pc/105625080/c/1247163480/sc/103792680/i/544987980/dwm-p-08-luger-9mm/2185997.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fgreenville-gun-library%2F_%2FN-1123723%2B4294532522%2FNe-4294532522%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

What is the actual price? $939 or $1989.99?
The former is good for the 21st century, the latter is full retail for the gun as described.

Actual price was $999 today (50% off) and after talking with the staff I was able to negotiate $939.

decisions.....

Mechanically complete, functional, most of the original finish? You aren't going to find any cheaper in a commercial sale.

My Standard Catalog of Luger lists a 1916 in VG condition as worth $750, exc condition $1,000
published in 2006.

TEN YEARS AGO.

SO, I'd say its a good price.

44 AMP, thanks!

I don't know why I have always wanted a Luger. It's been on the back burner as I pursued other things but this one might need to come home with me.

A crap shoot.
Some Lugers will shoot common 21st century ammo ok, some get you into the "hot load" bs or other incompatibility.
I recall an old old article about how DWM had to dope the powder with silica to get the burn rate to where a 9mm Luger would function as well as a .30 Luger.

Just my opinion, but if this is a WW1 bringback, it may be all matching parts. My 1942 is in that condition. It was a ringback by my uncle.

Looking over it today, the only part that I could find that was not matched is the take down button. There may be more, but all of the major components matched.

I am researching the strap markings now. "K.J.R 212 I.R 4"

I cannot determine what KJR might mean, but I am assuming this belonged to the 212 Infantry Reserve and was the 4th issued Luger for the regiment.

It's a nice piece, buy it immediately and quit stalling.

K.J.R. 212 might be 212th Kaiserjaeger Regiment

Last edited:
That's a nice looking Luger and you're basically getting the holster and wood based magazine for free. If any other Luger enthusiasts see this post you might be kicking yourself for not acting quicker.

Lugers are nice automatics.

They say that you can close your eyes and point the Luger at the target, open them, and the sights she be aligned. They point better than anything we have today.

They were a great weapon, though clearly inferior to the 1911 the Germans liked them.

Jump on that thing. I'd be buying it if I hadn't just bought a Bulgarian contract Luger for a great price.

Like you, the Luger was on my back burner for the longest time. Always wanted one but never bought one. Then a great deal comes along that you may not see again. That time is now for you, my friend.

Back