Lube Firing Pin?

John, can you comment as to the odor of either of those products?
The cleaner/propellant in One Shot smells like Gun Scrubber--kind of like pneumatic tool cleaner. Maybe not as strong.

Hoppes Gun Doctor has a smell that kind of reminds me of a cross between acetone and ethanol (grain alcohol).

I wouldn't really call either one of them objectionable, but I take them outside or into the garage before I spray them because my wife is pretty sensitive to chemical smells.

When I clean fully, I detail strip and wipe everything down with an oily 30-50% oil soaked patch. Things like firing pin area get a second dry patch.

Then reassemble and 1 drop or just a bit more on lubrication points. Cycle 5-10 times. The field strip and wipe off excess where oil has left the lube point.

I always shoot some Gun Scrubber into the firing pin channel. I then hit it with compressed air. Then I hit it with Tri-Flow lubricant. And then, compressed air again. This works extremely well for me.

Some years back I took my 1911 clone to do some shooting.

I was amazed at it failing to cycle. Never had that happen before (I had owned it 20 years). Hmmm.

I took it apart, as noted by many, the lube had dried up and it needed cleaning. Once clean it cycled fine.

It was my mistake not to take the gun out and clean it. As noted, dry lube or evaporating lube would be best or once a year strip the gun down and clean it.

Strikers are very picky about lube on the firing pin but any gun needs care and maint or dry lube or no lube though that is an issue if you shoot it enough for wear to be an issue.

Back