Low velocity 45-70 sans Trail Boss

Clays has big flakes but is very fast. I suspect Trail boss was modified Clays with a big Donut Hole to add volume.

I believe 800x and Blue Dot are two of the preferred powders in 223 "gopher loads". If you load for 357, 41, 44 mag or 45 colt, a pound of 800x would be well worth picking up to try in the 45-70. If it doesn't work there, it will work well with cast bullets in any big revolver case and will also work in 9mm, 38 super, 10mm etc..

I found 800x less prone to pressure spikes than blue dot in 357 mag loads.

I think 700x will be too fast like bullseye to do what you want safely. Good powder for pistol rounds like W231 but not a good reduced rifle powder.

This outfit still has some stock of the discontinued Vihtavuori N32C Tin Star CAS load powder. Its density is not as low as Trail Boss, but it is lower than most and could be a good candidate. It's just that if you like it, you won't be able to keep getting it for long, so you would want to discover you like it quickly and grab a supply that will hold up until Trail Boss is available again.

EDIT: I have pulled the link. Mehavey sent me a heads-up that his AV thought there might be a trojan virus there. I use Malwarebytes. It didn't find anything, and a scan of my computer turned up nothing. But a whois lookup shows the site registered from a UK address, and the domain registrant is in Germany. No U.S. address was apparent anywhere on the site. They claim to have been in business since 2011, but the site registration is 2022. The Lexington, KY phone number is easily forged by an online service that exists for the purpose. There is information on the site about how to pay by bitcoin, which is a red flag. So, I am suggesting we stand clear of patriotdefensearmory.com out of an abundance of caution unless someone can confirm it is legit.

Back