Low recoil buckshot loads

Fiocchi 12LE00BK reduced recoil 12 gauge ammo is an excellent product at a very modest price, and in the past it was assembled in the USA.

The almost clear cases are a nice touch because it lets you see what is inside

Often available for less than $6.00 for a box of 10 shells

I'm having a real problem here. ½mv² exiting the muzzle -- which is necessary to stop the TrulyTrulyBadGuy -- can't be violated to be gentle to the SensitiveGoodGuy.

You're either going to throw an effective load of buckshot -- enough of it/going fast enough -- to get the job done or you're not.

So I'm not going recommend anything reduced-recoil.
Instead I suggest taking the standard 2¾ 00 Buck out...
...and get used to it.

The left shoulder, or other shoulder, is that one bad too?

I've got a flashlight/laser combo that clamps to barrel. Poi is a bit high, but it does get in the ballpark and is accurate for left to right.

I haven't tried it on my off side shoulder, but I should be just as accurate on laser pointed shots on my off shoulder.

Been meaning to experiment with turning light over and seeing if laser gets closer to poi. Laser is on outer edge of light and I've currently got it on bottom.

Picked up flashlight/laser at big 5 for $30, on sale. Flashlight also has strobe mode. Which would help to disorient the target. Sadly, laser only works by itself or in solid light mode.
Also has 2 end caps. Normal and pressure switch that attach to stock.

I've shot the Federal low recoil tactical buckshot quite a bit and it is quite managable. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...reduced-recoil-00-buckshot-9-pellets-box-of-5 . It patterns quite well. Well, that is to say fairly tightly. It's not the fill the room with death horsepoop.

However, not to divert but I'll be straight forward. Ditch the shotgun paradigm for the AR. The shotgun offers nothing over that platform.

Ignore this advice if you want and do get the low recoil tactical buck that's out there if this is your decision.

Glenn E Meyer said:
However, not to divert but I'll be straight forward. Ditch the shotgun paradigm for the AR. The shotgun offers nothing over that platform.

I'd say shot for shot, a 12 Gauge shotgun is hard to beat for home defense ranges.

I don't want to redo that debate. If there is evidence that the 12 gauge is superior based on evidence, not anecdotes, I haven't seen it and I pay attention to such.

But, I'm out suggestions on this thread. I can shoot both - I have the low recoil Federal in my shotgun for HD but going for the AR if I have to use a long arm.

Do what folks want based on cliches.

mehavey wrote: I'm having a real problem here. ½mv² exiting the muzzle -- which is necessary to stop the TrulyTrulyBadGuy -- can't be violated to be gentle to the SensitiveGoodGuy.

You're either going to throw an effective load of buckshot -- enough of it/going fast enough -- to get the job done or you're not.

So I'm not going recommend anything reduced-recoil.
Instead I suggest taking the standard 2¾ 00 Buck out...
...and get used to it.

Some people can't take the recoil for a variety of reasons. Some people can't make a follow up well due to recoil. That said: 9 53 gr. pellets moving 1150 fps can make 9 33 caliber wound paths delivering 156 ft. lbs each deliver 1404 total ft. lbs of muzzle energy. I don't know too many people who are going to volunteer to be the Test Dummy for that.

Glenn E Meyer said:
I don't want to redo that debate. If there is evidence that the 12 gauge is superior based on evidence, not anecdotes, I haven't seen it and I pay attention to such.

But, I'm out suggestions on this thread. I can shoot both - I have the low recoil Federal in my shotgun for HD but going for the AR if I have to use a long arm.

Do what folks want based on clichés.

If someone thinks that something like a single 9mm. 5.56mm, etc. round is more effective than a single 12 Gauge shotgun round for home defense ranges, then more power to them :) In any case, for the 12 Gauge Mossberg 590A1, I like to use Federal low recoil flitecontrol rounds that generally can pattern all 9 of 00 Buckshot in the 8 ring or better up to 25 yards.

The differences between the recoil of an AR and shotgun might not be as important as we think.
Under the extreme circumstances of an actual home defense occurrence, would anyone even notice recoil?
It might matter for practicing, though.
Or avoiding practice. :(

OP, I have severe arthritis in my facet joints from the top to bottom of my spine. I no longer use standard 12 gauge loads to practice but use reduced velocity Fiocchi.

My home defense shotgun is also same load or reduced recoil in Remington or Federal, in either buckshot or slugs. They don't hurt my back nearly as bad as the standard stuff.

After a lot of investigation, I'm going to try some Nobelsports 2 1/4 inch buckshot loads.
These have six 00 pellets at 1250 fps.

http://www.jgsales.com/12ga-nobel-s...ell,-00-buck,-6-pellet,-10rd-box.-p-3243.html

For practice I saw some Low recoil, low noise birdshot loads at about 980 fps at Walmart that I'm going to try out.

Some people just physically can't use most shotgun defense loads without suffering actual damage to a shoulder.
It's not a matter of "Gee that hurt" it can be a matter of the doctor saying, "Gee you damaged the joint, time for major surgery".
That situation requires some serious thought and experimentation.

Sorry to "buck" the trend....but have you tried the .410? My Mossberg 500 .410 is a handy, low-recoil package, and the perp won't really tell much difference between 5 000Buck pellets and 8 00Buck pellets.....

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

ATN082268 I think you are mixing what a 12ga. shotgun is capable of in theory vs. reality. No a single pull of the trigger of a 5.56 AR style firearm will not throw as much lead downrange as a 12ga. load of 00 buck. However the AR has less recoil which means that for someone who is say 5'0" and 115lb soaking wet, it is more appealing to train with. Which experience has shown is the difference when it comes to home defense duty. If the defender has a 12ga. but they don't like to practice with it because of the recoil/weight/difference in reloading/sound/ergonomics, it is no more useful than a golf club.

For someone buying a gun for their home defense that doesn't have experience with firearms, an AR15 platform is usually a better bet. Take that person to the range for an afternoon with an AR15 and a 12ga. and then put them through a realistic course of fire based around home defense at the end and I guarantee you that they will perform much better with the AR and feel much more confident in themselves with it. Unless they REALLY like shotguns.

My apologies as I don't want to derail this thread, but do a search on this site of all the threads about home defense, shotgun for HD, HD shotgun, HD weapon, and you will begin to see a trend. Experienced forum members with real life training, simulated training, and years of experience will say that it's the mindset/skillset that matters most. What gun will allow you to obtain that skillset: 12ga. or AR15? That's up to you.

No win situation

Can't have loads of power W/O loads of recoil to accompany. Can't fight physics.

Launch a lot of lead, like an ounce of it at enough velocity to be effective? Recoil is unavoidable.

The laws of physics can not be suspended, even temporarily.

Back