Low cost handguns, anyone?

SaxonPig

I am not a collector and pristine safe queens hold no power over me. I shoot my guns, and love buying "shooter grade" guns. Here are a couple guns that were good deals when I bought them. Share yours. These happen to be4 wheel guns.

$195 at a Denver gun show.

standard.jpg

A guy on another forum emailed me an offer to buy this 1954 Highway Patrolman for $190.

standard.jpg

$200 from a Gunbroker auction.

standard.jpg

$200 & $205 respectively at a local show.

standard.jpg

$210

standard.jpg

$100

standard.jpg

Given the thread title, I was thinking the subject would be low-cost or low MSRP handguns... say Charter, Rossi, Taurus, and ______.
I think what you're showing us here are screaming deals on phenomenally great handguns that you got really incredible buys on.

I've found that the best way to get similar deals is to find a gun that they made a whole heckuva lot of, and find one with a somewhat torn-up finish that "ruins" the collectible dollar "value" while leaving behind a fantastic shooter that any one of us would be thrilled to own.

I say "similar deals" because it's awfully hard to match the kinds of prices with the guns you've shown in post #1. I'm wondering how long ago you managed to get these deals with those prices. I go to one particular excellent gun show and any one of those wouldn't last three minutes at this show, at the price you've quoted. Actually -- to be honest, they wouldn't never appear, because all the dealers have free reign to buy/sell on Friday night when the show isn't even open. (even table "helpers" aren't allowed to buy/sell in that Friday session) Those guns would never appear at this show with those prices in the year 2013.

I have no pictures, but can add some of my snags...

1928 Colt Woodsman for $375 out the door at a local gun shop, shoots wonderfully. Plenty of finish wear.

S&W 10-10 heavy barrel (1994), former Ohio DOC gun with thoroughly abused exterior and perfect timing and function for $250+tax from local HUGE gun store that gets some of their issued guns by the multiple crate load. This revolver is a fantastic shooter.

Dan Wesson 15-2V full lug, seems hardly used and in terrific shape for $390 out the door at a small gun shop about 30 miles north of town. Monson gun.

1917 S&W Fourth Change, .38 Special, horribly worn and scratched nickel plating, but mechanically as sound as you could ask, $275 at the aforementioned show. Shoots great.

And a 1952 Colt Challenger that is just an absolute sweetheart that I intend to feed mountains of rimfire to for $325 at that same gun show.

The ones you've shown?! :eek:
It's my experience that replicating those pulls would not be an easy feat for anyone. Those first three you show? I'd give you that price PLUS 50% for any or all three of them, but if you even showed half a mind to accept that offer out loud in this forum, you'd get a dozen different offers higher than mine.

I seriously doubt I'm mistaken on that.

Best deal I got was within the last 12 months- found a S&W Model 19-3 4" Brl. Blueing was worn, but locked up tight. Found the gun on Armslist, and saw that it was a dealer in my state. Asking $399, I talked him down to $375 shipped to my FFL (I would have paid more than the FFL fee in gasoline).

That gun became my wife's the first time she shot it.

(Top right of the "family portrait")

Attachments

• 2013-01-02 19.16.46.jpg
    2013-01-02 19.16.46.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 108
I think the reason I got a good deal on these is because the sellers recognized that condition matters when setting a price. So often these days sellers demand top dollar and don't take condition into consideration. They look at some book that says the gun is worth XX in 100% condition so they price the gun at XX despite the fact that it's actually 75%. They wait long enough and somebody with more money to waste than do I comes along and buys it.

I would like to add that all of these guns were purchased from serious gun sellers, most had FFLs so no widows or unknowing people were exploited.

All guns are highly functional and reliable.

$200 OTD at a mid-GA pawn shop last week.

$175 OTD from a local gun store 2-3 years ago

$150 from an individual 3-4 years ago. Has the original box.

A fair bargain, I guess, at $275 OTD 3-4 years back. Model 19-3. The Hi-Standard Riot gun cost another $145. Bought from the same dealer at different times. Two old South Georgia LEO guns.

Thanks for posting. These guns are something that hold great value. Not just in price, more importantly, actual usage. I'm tired of treating all my guns like museum pieces.

Hk 9mm vp 70z

dorjbrun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have two HK 9MM VP 70Z, New In The Factory Boxes.

Original boxes, with original owners manuals, inspectors certificate of the test fireing at the factory with his certification, signature and the targets for both pistols.

These are consecutivve serial numbers.

Guns are in 100 % condition, never even handled except a few times to look at the serial numbers.

How much are they worth???? Also, how do I find the "post" forum?

dorjbrun@gmail.com

A few of my better deals, at least deals that I look upon as money well spent, include;

$400 for a nice recent production HK USP 9mm.
$300 for my Seecamp.
$450 for a pristine Sig P232 SL with Nille grips and 3 mags.
$595 for a very nice Kahr K9 with elite trigger, Crimson Trace laser grips and night sights.
$550 for a smooth and beautiful Beretta Vertec INOX 92fs with Crimson Trace laser grips.

dorry I can't get pictures to stick but I bought a mechanically LN S&W Model 10 from a friend yesterday!
I ws talling him I wnted a nother handgun and didn't know which out of a list I'd buy? I knes he was a Model 10 collector and asked for info about em. He said he had a British Constabulary surplus HB that he;d sell cheap! The only detratior is the rtched surplus number on the sideplate and frame. This ruins collector value but mechanically this gun is TIGHT! Looks as if it rode in a Bobbys holster and that's all. A little bluing wear at the muzzle but that's all.
Luckilly I had 2 hundred dollar bills in my checkbook and I hurridelly gave them to him! Bluff or not he sheepishlly took them.
We went outside and shot the gun so I could see how nice it was. What a nice shooter! Luckilly it came with Pachmeyer grips so I saved there. I wanted a shooter and got a good one at a fair price!
The only trouble is we are both GOOD citizens and went through a dealer to change ownership which cost $35 but we both feel a lot safer about the deal and being legal.
Damn the 17th of the month is SO far away!!! I hate the Calif waiting period!
Just going to do my usual and block the wait out of my mind...
BPDave

Between the money from selling a Tomcat that was languishing in the safe (so that doesn't count, right?) and a couple gift cards, I got this for $4 and the tax.
BA13FC6E-028A-4E69-9DDD-7CFA46EFD8D4-17266-00000D50797EFCD0_zps6dd2f5bf.jpg

For $300, I got this 5.5" .44 Mag Ruger Redhawk, 50 rounds of .44 Mag JHP, an MTM pistol case and a nylon shoulder holster:

Great looking guns at incredable prices! Right up my alley, and makes cheapshooters hart do a pitter-patter.:D
I guess the best deal I got in recent history was a T/C Contender stainless G2 with 35 Remington Super 14 barrell, 14" 22 LR Match barrel, Buris 2-7 pistol scope, and Boyt case. All for $250!

My best would be the 27-2, nickel with 8 3/8 barrel, easy 90%+ gun for $350.

I think my 39-2 for $200 is decent, not the cheapest gun buy, but close.

The 39-2 seems to be a heckuva deal out there, undervalued. I see many of them at more than affordable prices. And they did make many, and all the guns like it that followed it were functional "improvements", unlike the N-frame .357's that may or may not have been improved in any way.

I suppose what I'm saying is that a 39-2 is a fine buy, I'd jump on it also!
But the 27-2 at 90% for $350 blows it's doors off! :D

Back