Lots of 9mm testing in 2 barrel lengths

First, thank you for the data, much appreciated and I use a lot of AA#7...some your loads are a WEE bit in excess of published maximums from the most recent data from the powder manufacturer. Max of max for 124 is 7.9, for the Golden Sabre. Some +P loads are listed and the max there is 8.3 grains, again, for the 124 grain Golden Sabre bullet . I know the older data showed much higher powder charges, but after Accurate reformulated their powders a few years ago, they brought those numbers down considerably. I load my SD "training" ammo at 8 grains of #7 and get about 1150 FPS, IIRC, (not near home computer), with the 124 grain XTP, which is the only SD bullet we have widely available locally.
I would just add the caveat to your data that it's academic use only and replicate at your own risk. Again, I do appreciate the effort, thank you - I would never be able to afford the Lehigh Defenders, myself, so that is nice to know.
https://ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB.pdf

The loads seemed high comparatively to me as well, to ones i had tried in the past. But it was a speer bullet, loaded to speers specs so i figured i would work it up and see what i got. The performance with the cfe pistol when i worked it up and on this test was lackluster and the bullets under expanded im ballistics gel. I was hoping for a little more velocity and i got more than i bargained for.

I got luvky, caught the gold dots on sale from Midway. Got 1100, paid 257 with shiping and tax. Xtp are under rated imho.

The lehighs are cool bullets. They were a little cheaper before wilson combat bought them out. The underwood loads were spicy.

I would also note, western seated the gold dots deeper at 1.105 where speer loads at 1.120. So that should back the pressure off a little. But i would not try 8.8 or 9.0 again based on the results in my guns.

Last edited:
Great post Shadow9mm. You always deliver a positive contribution - thank you.

I have tons of AA#7 and you have prompted me to reconsider its use for 124/9mm. I tend to lean toward faster propellants. I've done work ups with AA#5 and as one would expect, I didn't get your velocities. 6.4 grains (w/ a 124 GDHP) yielded 1049 f/s through my Kahr CW9 (3.7" bbl?). It does make for a nice handling, low flash, low recoil round. Terminal performance comes into question, however.

For max velocity, I almost always turn to Power Pistol (save magnum revolvers). I worked up to 6.2 grains and that yielded 1133 f/s and is my go-to "set" loading.

My actual carry ammo is Speer's 124gn GDHP+P. I chronographed that ammo twice. Once, it yielded 1182 f/s (in 2014); and then 1158 f/s (in 2017). So my Power Pistol loading comes up a little short, but I am basically okay with that.

FYI, I also chronographed Speer's non+P 124 GDHP loading, and it yielded 1048 f/s (in 2013).

(All chronographing was 10-round samples, btw.)

Circling back, I may give AA7 a go. It might be a while however. For me, 9mm is but a utilitarian cartridge and is of little recreational value. And the weather is getting cold here now. Furthermore, I'm looking at trying to get my Marlin 44Mag lever-action to show some signs of accuracy through ammo testing this coming spring. And then there's my 75gn .223 Rem work up . . . but I digress. Irons in the fire, so to speak.

Power pistol is by far one of my favorite powders. However due to the large bright yellow fireballs it tends to create i chose to exclude it for this bullets testing.

I have tested aa#7 in the past with 115g bullets in the same gun but got poor velocity results. It seems to perform much better with 124g bullets. But thats in my gun, ymmv

I have tested aa#7 in the past with 115g bullets in the same gun but got poor velocity results.

AA#7 is kind of funny stuff. It's pretty lackadaisical (low energy); unlike Power Pistol, which is really spunky (high energy). (The entire Alliant pistol product line is energetic.) Point is, your unimpressive results with 115's doesn't surprise me. Low energy propellants tend to do better when pushing heavies - HS-6 being a prime example.

Although it was a low priority, the plan for me was to some day try AA#7 with 147's. Definitely not with 115's ;). When I load 115's (rare), I reach for W231, or AA#2. I lean toward faster propellants - as previously mentioned.

I had to branch out on powders During the shortage based on what i could get. So i was trying what i could get my hands on. Always trying to learn and share so other peopl dont have to duplicate it. Its fun to tinker too, sometimes you find things that work unexpectedly well.

AA#7 is kind of funny stuff. It's pretty lackadaisical (low energy); unlike Power Pistol, which is really spunky (high energy). (The entire Alliant pistol product line is energetic.) Point is, your unimpressive results with 115's doesn't surprise me. Low energy propellants tend to do better when pushing heavies - HS-6 being a prime example.

Other people have not had problems with A#7 and light bullets. It is commonly used for 9 Major.

https://www.ssusa.org/content/accuracy-of-9-major-handloads/

Back