Lost and Recovered

Today Tuesday got text requesting to meet this week and again no specific time/date given. I replied several times and get an error message of invalid number. Added different forms of the same number (with and w/o area code and 1) to my contacts, no enchilada. Will try again much later.

I'm wondering whether the last image sent caused the above issue because of size.

Last edited:
Received call from detective (non text) and agreed to meet Thursday 1pm to "rap it up". Detective did not receive last image of pistol.

I believe that out of business FFLs turn their records over to the ATF so in theory there is still an official record of the sale to back up your receipt, although your receipt should be helpful in finding the transfer in the books.

Hopefully, the "stolen" reports were just a confusion of totally different firearms. I doubt the S&W justifies consulting a lawyer over however if you get the sense that they are sizing you up for other charges, that may be the time to lawyer up. Hope it ends quickly and well for you.

Just a FYI, all guns made since the GCA of 1968 are required to have a unique serial number. A model 66-2 from around 1982 would have a "K" prefix or a three letter prefix followed by four numbers. The proper accepted location for the serial number on a S&W revolver is the underside of the grip frame. The yoke cutout may or may not have the serial number, depending on model and era, and also contains assembly numbers that can be confused as SN 's.

In addition, having a receipt and box for a gun reported stolen only means you did not steal it, does not mean it wasn't already stolen when you bought it.

That said, I hope it just turns out to be a misunderstanding for the OP.

Jim

In addition, having a receipt and box for a gun reported stolen only means you did not steal it, does not mean it wasn't already stolen when you bought it.

His receipt was from '82, no? Reported stolen in '83 and '90something? And he's had the gun the whole time?

Somethin's bogus.

I sent the detective a reduced pic of the last pic sent of the pistol last night. The last time I spoke with him (non text) is when I got the specific meeting time/date and I asked if the pic of the pistol was received. He said no. The. latest pic was cropped to focus on SN and to reduce pic from 2.5M to less than 700KB.

Today Thursday is the meet but he texted to change time from 1 pm to 3 pm. I said I'll try. Problem is that's prime time in terms of mass transit, traffic. Affects all.

I still have my 66-2 after the meeting. I didn't feel comfortable because instead of the lone detective there were two of them. The mix up was because of the numbers taken as the serial numbers on the pic of the box. One side of the box shows the following:

MOD. 66. 357. 4IN. SS. RR

The other side of the box has the same info and the serial number of 137K6XX. The above 0662094033 was taken as the SN.

I'm asked whether the 66-2 is registered and I say I have the receipt. I know, for California, sales and transfers should go thru an FFL. The other assumed detective takes the receipt to make a copy and comes back saying it's registered.

Do they actually have a record of the pistol and who owns it?

The other assumed detective takes the receipt to make a copy and comes back saying it's registered.
Do they actually have a record of the pistol and who owns it?

Isn't that what "registering" a firearm does?

I think registration is only specific to the state. Sometime ago in the LAT ( Los Angeles Times), 2012 perhaps, the cops were hunting for persons who now have since gotten felony convictions that pocess arms. They only went as far back as 1992.

Just wondering how long and/or how far back the records go. I remember a time when open carry and mail order were legal in the state.

Laws related to arms have changed a lot since the year 2000 in the state. Example would be long arms. Within the last several years a long arm 50 years or older now requires a DROS (dealer record of sale).

Last edited:
I'll try to reword it. A long arm is a rifle or shotgun not a handgun. Long arms fifty or more years old were considered curios and relics and did not require DROS. That has changed for California in recent years, now curios and relics are treated like any firearm, a DROS is required, background check paperwork.

I'm not happy but at least I have my pistol.

Years ago I was working for the Pennsylvania Museum and Historical Commission, and we get a visit from two ATF agents demanding to see one of the guns in our collection.

We look it up, and sure enough, we have it.

So, we troop them up to the one vault, and show them the gun in question.

They're all confused, and rather pissed. The think museum staff is hiding something from them, or trying to pull a fast one. Get all demandy, tell us we're snowing them, because they know we know that they're looking for a handgun...

ATF Asshats didn't know the difference between the Breda M1937 heavy machine gun they had listed on their report and the Beretta M92 that they were actually looking for.

They finally slithered off after someone at their office convinced them that our heavy machine gun wasn't involved in shooting in Baltimore.

Just wish to clarify why I forgot about the pistol. Yes ultimately is my fault forgetting. I purposely left the pistol where it's normally kept with towels in a drawer in the hallway late in the move. The reason is at times a BG (bad guy) will follow the work crew and mix in. Generally those of the household won't actually know who is actually who. I actually experienced this in the distant past.

My mother did not speak the language so I had her hire the plumber for a gas line for the dryer because I couldn't be there because of work. A BG followed the plumbers and said money was owed on a previous work and something's became missing. I called the plumbers office and stated a police report was made and I refused to pay anything. Later my mother settled by paying half the bill without my approval.

Last edited:
That has changed for California in recent years, now curios and relics are treated like any firearm, a DROS is required, background check paperwork.

OK, I think I get it, that's for PURCHASE, right??

Yes for purchase. I learned of this sometime ago at the Costa Mesa show from a vendor who will be affected.

Back