Loooking at some 22s for target and plinking

dlflyer

Inactive
Been looking to buy a 22 pistol for target and just fun shooting. I'm not an expert at shooting but want a gun I won't out grow. Been looking at the Ruger Mark III and the Smith & Wesson 22a. I have read about the cleaning nightmares of the Mark III, I'm not scared. I don't know enough about either to make up my mind and I'm looking for help. This is my first post on the website. I have looked around some and like what I see. Thanks for helping.

Get the Ruger over the 22a, the Ruger is a better gun.
If you want more accuracy get a S&W 41 but be prepared to pay a lot more than a Ruger.

Aarond's post is good advice.

My choice was the Beretta Neos. I got past the unusual styling and wound up with a pistol that is accurate, extremely reliable even with bulk ammo, and easy to shoot well and to clean, all at a very reasonable price. I would advise you to have it on your list of pistols to look at.

Got a kick out of TailGator's comment regarding bulk .22 ammo. If you have some bulk .22 ammo, you can probably trade it for any of the pistols mentioned.

Reloading 9mm is most likely less expensive than "attempting" to buy .22 rim fire. :(

I have a Mark III Target, and my Dad just got a new Buckmark Camper, and honestly I kinda wish I'd have gone the Browning route. Although.... I haven't shot his Buckmark on paper yet, and I did finally shoot a hundred rounds or so out of my Ruger at 10 yards, and the accuracy of it impressed me.

I have a Beretta Neos 6". Been a great plinker, already has a rail for an optic. Almost a thousand rounds through mine without much trouble. The s&w is next on my list.

I haven't shot any of my .22s in quite a few years and probably won't until the ammo prices get back to where they are *supposed* to be. The Ruger Mk-II that I have (10" barrel) is a tack driver though.

I have four Ruger Mk II's. If you can find a used MK II, buy it over the MK III. If you can't, get a MK III, and remove the mag disconnect, and LCI.

Ruger(either MK or 22/45) and don't worry about "takedown for cleaning". I haven't disassembled one of ours(5 of them) since I dropped mine in the creek 2 years ago. They just don't require much maintenance. Pull a bore snake through the barrel once in a while and drip some CLP on the guide rod/main spring and rails.
+1 on the comment about the "3" series-I hate that mag disconnect.

My personal favorites are the Ruger MK series or 22/45, you really cant go wrong with them. As you mentioned don't let the disassembly scare you, I can strip one down and reassemble in just a couple minutes. While they may not be the prettiest guns out there, they are extremely accurate, reliable, and have great triggers out of the box. I set up an 8" steel plate at 50yds and hit that thing all day long, where you would be lucky to hit it with my buddies Walther P22.

Hopefully you have a supply of 22 ammo or it's available at a decent price (if there is such a thing anymore) in your area. Lot's of good choices out there. I have a Ruger MKIII Target - very accurate and don't let the "take down" scare you. Watch some videos on how to do it and you'll be fine. I have shot their SR22 model ant that to is nice for a woods gun/plinker. I have a Sig 1911-22 - alright but I'd take the MKIII over it any day. I have Ruger 22 revolvers - also good if you like SA (I don't have any of their DA 22s).

Unfortunately, all of my 22s sit now and I don't use them. I refuse to pay the high price that they are getting for ammo - it's ridiculous. I am always amazed when in a LGS and I see folks buying 22 rifles/pistols and the LGS doesn't have any ammo to go with them. I never thought I'd see the day when I could reload my 38spls cheaper than buying 22 ammo. Nuff said though.

Good luck with whatever you go with - lot's of good 22 pistols out there. The one I would avoid is the Sig Mosquito. I had a friend who had one and I shot (or tried to) a number of times. I wasn't impressed - lots of FTL, FTF and FTE regardless of the ammo. He finally got wise and traded it in on a Ruger SR22.

The Buckmarks also have an excellent reputation. Good luck to you! :)

Loooking at some 22s for target and plinking

Good luck, I can't find any 22lr here.;)

Plenty of guns though.

I never thought I'd see the day when I could reload my 38spls cheaper than buying 22 ammo. Nuff said though.

Ditto. I can cast and reload 9mm cheaper than store bought 22lr, go figure.

I've got one .22lr semi auto pistol and it's a Ruger MK III. I love the thing. I have a S&W 17-4 for my DA revolver needs and a Heritage Rough Rider for my SA and .22 mag needs. I can't complain about any of them.

If I had to choose between the Mark series and the 22a, I'd take the Ruger first. I think everyone should have one, and a Buckmark, which I'll add one day. Then grab a Woodsman and a Hi Standard and one's .22lr semi auto collection would be complete, lol.

I've had some luck and was able to make 3 small .22lr ammo buys this year. It's starting to trickle in little.

Don't discount the novelty of a tiny gun for plinking. The NAA Earl or Beretta Bobcat can be a hoot for shooting random stuff. Or one of the .22 single action revolvers could be fun (and price runs the range from cheap to good-lord-I-coulda-bought-a-1911 prices :eek:).

Back