Looking to buy something ridiculously powerfull???

When I had my Ruger Alaskan, I could never enjoy the shooting because I kept thinking of 1.00 a round!LOL
Now I have a seecamp, and have shot hundreds of rounds through it, at the ridiculous cost of 1.00 a round! Go figure. .32 acp costs as must as .454? (for the good stuff, not the cheap fmj)

If you want powerful....go to a Freedom Arms single action revolver...in say a 4 3/4" ....in .475 Liebaugh, .454 Cassull or 500 Wyoming Express..... it'll entertain you ! ( I prefer the large frame model 83's / 5 shot ).

But any of the light weight, airweight S&W, etc...revovlers in .44 Mag...will give you a lots of recoil...if that's what you want.

If you reduce the weight of the gun -- for every 8oz or so, you'll see about 15% more recoil ( so shorter barrels, light weight frames, etc )...vs 8 3/8" or 10" heavy steel guns especially. ( A S&W model 629 in a 3" ...is probably 40% more recoil than a S&W model 629 in 8 3/8" ....44 mag of course ). I can shoot the 8 3/8" all day ...but I only want half a box out of the 3" most days ...

Some good points, I didn't consider buying heavy bullets for a for reasonable gun.
I do have an old interarms Virginian dragoon 44 mag, but i'm not sure if i would want to throw some buffalo bore rounds in there.

I am looking into the encore platform more, as it seems the versatility would be pretty nice, also a 30-06 pistol just sounds cool. Still not sure if 30-06 would kick that much in a pistol though?

Thanks!

I have a S&W 460 Magnum from their "Bear Kit." It has a barrel about 2.75" long and produces plenty of recoil with 460 Magnum or 454 loads.

My gun that has heavy recoil and is the most painful to shoot is my Double Tap .45 derringer. The derringer once had both barrels fire at the same time. I sent the gun back to Double Tap but since getting it back I don't shoot it very often.

While my 460 XVR certainly has a bit of recoil, I'd much rather shoot it than my Dad's 4" Model 58 with full house 41 Magnums. That thing just hurts.

Hello All,

I've been wanting to buy a handgun that has a ridiculous amount of recoil.

As I said in my first post, I never understood the desire for this. Having a gun that is intentionally unpleasant to shoot, but the owner/shooter gets some form of ego boost from doing so. Kinda like the guy with the Harley with straight pipes that sits at the stoplight and jacks off on the throttle just to make as much noise as possible. Like folks have never heard a loud bike before. Now like big bore handguns, I have Harleys too. And just as much as I enjoy shooting my Magnum revolvers, I enjoy the sound of my bike in third gear sweeping up a long uphill curve. But I don't enjoy riding that same uphill curve behind some guy with a poor running bike and straight pipes who thinks having the loudest bike, makes him the most bad-as. There's a difference between loud and obnoxious, same with recoil.

Just sayin'...........;)

I agree buck, it makes no sense to me either....

( but everybody should buy whatever they want -- regardless how little sense it makes to me...) ... :cool:

There always comes a day ...when you have to pay for the sins of your youth !! ( my hands have suffered a lot of abuse over the years...stepped on playing football, a few fingers broken more than once, a few motorcycle wrecks, now some arthritis...which is partly why my carry gun and primary range gun is now a steel, 5", 1911 in 9mm)... recoil is cumulative, it will take its toll in a tournament or over a long day shooting !

Last edited:
I have the 5" 460V and it's no trouble to shoot with legit 460 level loads pushing a 240gr boolit. Just a little more lively than my 29 and 629.

Listen to Buck, he knows his stuff

If you want recoil try shooting 158gr 357 magnums out of a S&W Airweight J Frame. That will split the webbing between your thumb and forefinger.

jason.h said:
I recently rented a S&W .460 with an 8 3/8" barrel. I was underwhelmed by it

Never though I would ever read something like this. Sorry friend but if your bored with a 460 mag, just save your money as you will be disappointed with anything that is out there.

As I said in my first post, I never understood the desire for this. Having a gun that is intentionally unpleasant to shoot, but the owner/shooter gets some form of ego boost from doing so. Kinda like the guy with the Harley with straight pipes that sits at the stoplight and jacks off on the throttle just to make as much noise as possible. Like folks have never heard a loud bike before. Now like big bore handguns, I have Harleys too. And just as much as I enjoy shooting my Magnum revolvers, I enjoy the sound of my bike in third gear sweeping up a long uphill curve. But I don't enjoy riding that same uphill curve behind some guy with a poor running bike and straight pipes who thinks having the loudest bike, makes him the most bad-as. There's a difference between loud and obnoxious, same with recoil.

Just sayin'...........

So you just have to say it again for some recognition? Ok, you don't understand the fascination with heavy recoil.
OP, my Bisley .454 Ruger is pretty lively.

As I said in my first post, I never understood the desire for this. Having a gun that is intentionally unpleasant to shoot
But if you like shooting big boomers, and know how, they aren't "intentionally unpleasant"

Yep^^^^. I get where the OP is coming from, the big boomers are fun at one end of the spectrum like .22's are fun at the other end of it.

The "manly" discussion revolving around the big bores is an opinionated subject that has been beat to death. Are they practical ? No, but if you want the thrill of a lifetime from pulling a handgun trigger, just do it !! Help's hugely if you handload as well. They are a substantial investment in both initial purchase and sustained shooting. Did my reaseach, established not only my big bore "want" but also my specific need. I purchased the 12" 460XVR , not a single regret !

So you just have to say it again for some recognition? Ok, you don't understand the fascination with heavy recoil.

Thanks for bringin' it again and drivin' home the point!

Just like the idiot at the stoplight stroking the throttle on his obnoxious bike. He thinks everyone is looking at him 'cause he's so cool, when actually folks are thinkin'....."what an idiot". While aftermarket pipes can increase performance, louder is not always better. So with recoil. While heavy recoil is just the nature of the beast with some platforms and calibers, desiring the most "rediculous" amount of recoil is not helping anything but boosting ego. Folks like that are what give folks like us with legitimate reasons to shoot big boomers the bad rap......as in the infamous "you must have a small appendage to hafta have such a big gun."

OP, my Bisley .454 Ruger is pretty lively.

Yes they are. The .454 chambering in the light Ruger platforms are one reason the caliber has always struggled to gain popularity. Reason? brutal recoil. But for folks that want to hunt, it's worth it. For folks that just want to make noise at the range....not so much, and they soon grow weary of it. One reason one sees so many very slightly used Rugers in .454 going for considerably less than the same platform in .44 mag. One reason the S&W X-framed .460, while using almost identical pressures took off so quickly......much more pleasant to shoot.

But if you like shooting big boomers, and know how, they aren't "intentionally unpleasant"

I agree. But looking for something like the OP is wanting in the "ridiculously" level, is "intentionally unpleasant". As been said before, it doesn't take the biggest boomers to do that. A boot gripped Airweight J-Frame with heavy loads can be more than most folks want to handle if painful recoil is all one wants.

I ain't telling anyone what to shoot or buy, just as I don't want folks to tell me that. But I still shake my head at the dude at the Harley Dealer asking to see "the loudest" bike they sell.

Again for some recognition......just'sayin'.:D

Quote" I'm not really looking into the 500 S&W as i don't think it would kick much more than a 460, and the 460 can shoot 45lc which would be nice. "

The 460 is a good choice but don't stock up on 45 colt cause once you fire a few you will realize that even if this gun CAN shoot them, it's pretty useless to do so. It like if you could fire 223 with a Barrett .50 BMG rifle. The weight of the gun makes the 45 colt feel like you're firing .22 ammo

Back