Looking to buy first pistol.

Since you are new to purchasing your first pistol, what are you buying it for? ...Plinking, personal protection, target practice, future collection? I suggest you borrow from a friend and go shoot what he/she has. You can most often try another person's favored firearm, and check out the grip, trigger squeeze, sights, and caliber recoil. Target objects (jars, cans) from 6'-10' first in an area you can see clear behind your target. Get your friend to give you pointers on safety first, then practice. I'd suggest you first take an NRA Pistol instruction course. Every gun has its + & - 's. Don't jump at bargains unless you do your research.

First Pistol

I'd recommend a wheel gun - for ease and reliability, I'd also recommend something like a 38/357, the 38 is easy on the recoil, but the 357 packs plenty of punch. A Ruger Gp 100 will not be a bad choice. -Gunny T sends

Last edited:
Like most have already said, depends on your objective. If you have an unlimited $$ budget, there are lots of great guns. If you have limited finances you may be very shocked at what it costs to shoot even after you buy an expensive gun.

I have a pretty diverse collection but enjoy just plinking with a .22 single action. Defense or CCW is another issue, but skills don't develop unless you shoot. The basics are the same no matter what you shoot. If you want to shoot a lot and not break the bank there are lots of super fun .22. Check out the Roger MK series or the Single 10.

Just as a parting shot, if you are thinking about a CCW type gun. Get the training, shoot a variety and save to buy a good one. In the mean time, shoot the crap out of a fun little .22

Reading forum posts like this can make a very simple question vert, very difficult.

So let's boil it down to the essentials:

Unless and unril you find handgunming a significant source of interest, any modern firearm will suit your purpose. All handguns are essentially the same now, distinctions are made by those who pknder such.

So, look at price. For all intents, all $400 guns are essentially the same.

All $600 guns are essentially the same, with improvements - sights, quality of fit and so forth.

All $1000 guns are essentially the same, but now you are getting into really nice manufacturing and higher detailing.

So, find a gun that fits your hand. That is the one unalterable key to happiness.

Back