looking to buy a new rifle ?

Love this talk about shot out barrels on inexpensive gun's. Just what make's a barrel shot out n the first place? How do you recognize a shot out barrel? I've never shot out a barrel in my life. and of course if your a competitive or high volume shooter, what are you doing with an inexpensive rifle in the first place?

Why bring practicality into the discussion?

I went with a Kimber Longmaster Classic in 223. It's a bit finicky about bullets but the ones it likes it shoots really well.

Love this talk about shot out barrels on inexpensive gun's. Just what make's a barrel shot out n the first place? How do you recognize a shot out barrel? I've never shot out a barrel in my life. and of course if your a competitive or high volume shooter, what are you doing with an inexpensive rifle in the first place?
Last question first, it is called practice. If you know the mechanical limitations of the rifle, you can get in cheaper practice than shooting out a premium barrel. Having shot out about 20 barrels, yeah, one can tell. Speed drops, groups open up. Have had it happen at a match more than once. Rebarreling one of my match rifles is $500 or more, in some cases up to $1K. So 90% of my practice gets done with less expensive rifles to preserve the life of the performance guns. I also don't mind letting new shooters shoot my practice rigs, but I don't let many people even touch my match rifles.

Of course, sometimes, it is just the throat and the barrel can be cut, set back and then rechambered if there is enough material. The .260 I shoot in matches has been cut and set back three times.

Savage are not much to them and yes they are the ugliest of them all. Rugers are a little better for looks but not for mechanics. But a Remington 700 is only what you want it to be. First off its a good looker. Rich finish on the materials. Stocks well Remington has what ever type of stock that is needed. Show, field, bench, you name it. The 700 never has a funky Savage finish. Ruger has been generally a troubled sporter. Savage and Ruger need to go back to school and learn how to make a clip magazine. Try to get after market parts. I believe Remington 700 is the standard. Savage and Ruger are a cheep imitation. If you buy a Savage be care full not to cut your self on the sharp edges.

Note I own all three and Remington always has me admiring.

I wouldnt call the Savage an imitation. Since, well you know...... The model 110 was released 6 years or so before the model 700......

Also I feel like to discredit Savage as an imitation is wrong in another way. Savage released the accutrigger a number of years ago. Shortly after that Remington replaced their standard trigger with the x Mark pro.

Also not long after that you started seeing other rifle brands upgrade their trigger systems. Some with blade style triggers. But who mass produced it first?

The Savage action has a floating bolt head as we all know. It wasn't all that long ago when we started seeing actions that also have bolt heads that are not fixed...

The Stevens 200 is replaced by the Edge/Axis. Not long after that you see the Remington 783, Ruger American.

Savage has always used the barrel nut to set head space even though many didn't like that. Now you see lots of rifles from many manufacturers that basically copied. You guessed it. Savage. Both in the price point rifles, and marketing.

Now. This is not to discredit Remington. They do in fact have their own merit. And there is a special place in my heart for the 700

Savage has had their own downfalls though. Like really bad stocks. They addressed that issue though.

I don't know of any other manufacturer of reasonably priced bolt action rifle who's standard line up has a full length aluminum bedding block. As well as adjustable length of pull and comb height.

A remington 700 with those features would cost you several times the price of a comparable Savage. And the Savage would shoot as well or better.

Some say their quality has dwindled. I don't know what to believe. I haven't bought a new Remington in a bit. I plan to buy a 700 xcr tactical in a few months.

I think everones QC suffers from time to time. They still make great products, but they are human just like us.

Back