Looking for suggestions on how to keep a record of my firearms

Do whatever you choose, but I would strongly suggest NOT entering or keeping an electronic record in any computer or hackable/stealable electronic device.

I know it's easy, but....
Denis

A word document or a spreadsheet will work well if you keep track of all the data on each gun. Include accessories like sights, slings, cases, after market triggers and cleaning gear. Keep a copy on your computer, back it up to a CD Rom and keep a printed copy as well. A photo catalog showing close ups of the guns important features and accessories should be included in each document.

You do want multiple copies in case the others are destroyed. Electronic data is never permanent or secure. Keep printed copies in multiple places. One in your home fire safe and one in a safety deposit box and another with a trusted relative.

Do whatever you choose, but I would strongly suggest NOT entering or keeping an electronic record in any computer or hackable/stealable electronic device.

as opposed to what? ...a notebook, portfolio, photo album... stored where?

a USB stick is tiny, "unhackable", and easily stored in a fire resistant safe... bout the best you can do actually.

there is nothing out there that is completely secure.

Your computer is vulnerable to attack via outside hacking.

While so far only larger corporations & other entities have been targeted, within the next five years you'll see a marked rise in home computer hacking.
Anything & everything you have stored in your computer will be vulnerable, and that includes by both the criminal element and the government.

If you have a complete listing of all of your firearms, you risk that being acquired by people you don't want to know what you have.

And obviously, anything stored in your computer can be accessed during a burglary, or after a governmental agency seizure.

No paranoia, just a strong suggestion not to computerize your complete firearms records.

Even if you "transfer" that list to a removable memory device & think you've deleted it from your hard drive, it may still be recoverable.

Cloud storage is vulnerable, too.

Yes, paper in a secure location is much less susceptible to getting into the wrong hands.

Up to you, I won't argue it.
Denis

Just encrypt it with AES
I use 7zip which compresses files but also has AES encryption option.

AES is considered secure today and for the foreseeable future.

It could be brute forced but that takes a lot of time.. so much infact that you'd have to be a terrorist or something for the government to even attempt the kinda resources required to break it.

AES-256 is considered strong enough for classified materials.

I don't care what is available, anything recorded electronically is at risk.

Last time my notebook(s) with hand written records was hacked......was NEVER!

Nothing is infalliable. Notebooks can be lost, burned, stolen...

Electronics can be hacked, corrupted. A USB stick can be removed from the computer though... Those against electronic storage have just as many holes in their system.

Nothing wrong with any options, pick one and do it. If your that worried about it make a backup copy and store off site... Is really the only way.

The point about a computer spreadsheet or database being subject to hacking is valid. Ihave, up to now, been willing to take that risk because in my estimation it's a much lower degree of probability than the chance I'll lose anything put on paper.

One solution to data security is to keep your old computer. I still have the Windows XP desktop that I replaced not too long ago with a newer computer. The old one doesn't even have built-in WiFi. Whether I leave it as XP or upgrade it to Windows 7, my plan has been to move it to the basement and use it for such things as reloading data. That could easily be extended to maintaining the firearms and shooting spreadsheets. Computerized, but not available for hacking.

The same could be done with an old notebook or netbook computer.

I couldn't care less if the russians hack my email and find out I have guns.

If someone breaks in my house and stills my laptop, probably to late. If someone finds a memory stick, I doubt they will use the info to come to my house and break in.

I use myGuns app on my iPhone...

List the important things like caliber, model, serial number, date of purchase, etc... then modifications I've done to it and certain accessories (holsters, bayonets, slings). Also have pictures of all of the guns, especially if they can be converted (ARs with different uppers).

While I understand the whole idea that anything can be hacked, I really don't care about this aspect. I really don't care who finds out what I own. It's all legal, so post it across the internet for all I care.

I keep it up to date mainly in case I ever have to report a gun lost/stolen. Available easily, and can forward pictures in case it is needed. Have serial numbers for scopes, so easy to say exactly what is gone, and have a very definitive way to identify it.

However, I do use it for remembering specifics about guns. If I have a certain modification, I try to be as specific as possible. As mentioned, if there is a serial number, I don't have to go find the firearm/accessory to get it. I also started putting model numbers in there for holsters... as having five different versions of the same Galco ankle holster makes it hard to figure out what gun fits it without noting the model number.

I do similar with the AmmoBase app. Have a complete list of all my ammo, purchase info, and exactly which container it is in (have ten Cabela's ammo boxes, so knowing all my .40 is in Box 7 makes it easier to grab. When you have 17,082 rounds on hand, across 24 calibers, every little bit helps. Since I started logging that, I've also kept better notes on round counts for my firearms. I used to do it in a notebook... until it met a half bottle of solvent. AmmoBase backs up to Dropbox (and again, ammo amounts isn't something I view as highly sensitive), so not going to be an issue in the future.

Now, if someone did an app for magazines and clips (I shoot a lot of surplus rifles)... I'd be happy. That is one thing I cannot find an easy way to import into either of the apps I'm currently using.

I have an information sheet for each of my firearms , make , model , serial number, caliber, where & when purchase stored in my safe and a copy held off premises. I don't trust these apps or the cloud (whatever that is) with big brother watching the less that is known the better off I am. I know everytime you purchase a gun you fill out forms for the gov't, so they already know what I have , it's what I have that they don't know about. So again I'm old school pen and paper works fine for me.

Some states you can buy and sell handguns without government intervention. But I am not worried about cops hacking my computer. If I do a mob hit, I'll make sure it is not on my spreadsheet.

Back