Looking for suggestions on how to keep a record of my firearms

chanroc

Hello all -

I was wondering what do you use to track your firearms collection? I was looking at a couple third party programs, but might go the simple route of using a spreadsheet. What attributes would you recommend I record, outside of make, model, and serial number?

Thanks in advance for your input...

PICTURES.

Also, copies of all records should stored somewhere distant from the primary location where the firearms are stored. Do NOT store records where they could all be destroyed if the firearms storage location burns or floods, and DON'T put them on a portable device such as a laptop or phone—they could be stolen together with the device, and you don't want to give thieves a shopping list!

I use Excel. Here's a dummy copy of my spreadsheet:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Firearms_Log_Screenshot_zpsrx5y6ndw.jpg
    Firearms_Log_Screenshot_zpsrx5y6ndw.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I use a small book from Bianchi - not even sure if it is still made. In addition to what is shown in the spreadsheet above, they had an area to list any modifications (scope, custom grips, etc)

Sync your smart phone to google photos, Dropbox or some other cloud storage. Take a pic of the whole gun, its serial, all your goodies. Invaluable for insurance.

I just have them listed with word on my computer and I have Carbonite to back it up in case of fire, theft or if the computer dies. I got Carbonite to safeguard my 10,000 pictures.

I have make, model, caliber, age of the gun and when I bought it along with where I got it and what I paid. I also keep the guns listed I have gotten rid of with where they went.

simple text file with model and SN, I don't record price or year bought.
compressed with 7zip and AES encrypted. sent as a file attachment to my self in my email.

I keep an updated list with SN, Make, Model, Caliber, Estimated Value etc. in several places including my gun safe. In addition my insurance carrier requires such a list for the personal property rider I have the guns on - so it's available in their records.

Well, I don't have a link to quote as a source for this,
but I've found a small bound notebook like you can get at
most drugstores or stationary stores works fine, for me.

I would recommend you make two copies, and store them
separately. OOPS! No link for that, either, sorry.

Spread sheet works for me.

And, I try to keep all my original sales slips in the same box the guns came in.

I started that practice too late for a lot of them, but, I really suggest doing it.

I also email the spread sheet to myself and a copy to my wife - & - I keep a copy on Google drive.

I keep a spreadsheet with all the serial numbers and purchase prices (for insurance reasons). I also keep pictures of all my firearms.

Don't see why you'd need much more than that.

As Chris B noted, it is possible to hyperlink photos to an Excel spreadsheet. If I knew how to do it, I would do so.

It's also possible to convert an Excel spreadsheet to a table to form the basis for an Access database. You can then create a form view with a single screen for each entry, including space for photos. I have Access on my computer, but I don't know how to use it or I would have gone this route.

I've been happy with the Gunlog app. I have it on my iPhone. Might cost a couple of bucks, but each firearm can be logged, serial #, description, photos, place of purchase, place of purchase, purchase price, and some other notes of your choosing can all be entered. It stores the info locally on your phone and doesn't get to the cloud or interweb. There are instructions for backing up the data on your computer.

I particularly like that it will store photos. Under each firearm, I typically have a photo of the whole gun, a closeup that shows the serial#, and a photo of the original receipt.

Last edited:
I was wondering what do you use to track your firearms collection? I was looking at a couple third party programs, but might go the simple route of using a spreadsheet. What attributes would you recommend I record, outside of make, model, and serial number?
photographs and the owners manuals. Scan the original purchase receipt too. Store everything electronically in a folder and backup as needed. Can fit everything on a small thumbdrive.

depending on the gun it doesn't take many years for an original owners manual to get hard to find.

Back