looking for rifle that uses .45 ACP

I guess that would depend on your definition of "decent". Most of the ones I can think of are semi auto replicas of SMGs.

I've had a semi auto Tommygun for many years now. Mine had been reliable and very accurate, but few would describe it as a "decent" rifle. It's expensive, awkward (ergonomics) and heavy as hell. like 12lbs heavy and a drum mag only adds to it.

The Marlin Camp Carbine always seemed like a decent little rifle to me, although I never personally owned one. Its been discontinued for some time, and good luck finding one. Also, if you do, you'll find it (most likely) waaay overpriced (in my opinion) but its a seller's market...

If you're looking for a light, handy, rifle or carbine in the traditional sporter style for a decent price, there is none I know of in current production.

Simply put, while the .45acp does get a performance boost from a carbine length barrel, its not as much of a useful increase as some people think it ought to be, compared to some other rounds, such as .357 & .44 magnum.

The 9mm guys don't want a .45 (of course), the semi auto bullets usually used are not optimized for small game, and .45acp even out of a carbine isn't powerful enough to be well regarded for larger game, either.

My Tommygun will put 5 shots in one ragged hole at 25yds, and I can ring the 200yds gong on the range using the ladder sight. DO I carry it in the field? No. its simply too heavy and too awkward for that, since I have smaller, lighter guns with equal or more power and range to choose from.

On the other hand, there's nothing else quite like it, its a childhood dream fulfilled, and it is fun, IF you can hold it up! :rolleyes:

Good Luck in your search, there might be something out that that fills your bill, but I don't know of any, sorry.

I chose this because it has style!

:D

But practical? no, not really.

plinker

There is a rather interesting article in this months "Rifle" magazine, in Gil Sengal's (?) "Light Gunsmithing" column, discussing a build/custom "big bore plinker" derived from an older Mauser action, that is indeed chambered in .45 acp.

The build is a single shot, and very plain. I have no idea of cost, but for some reason, the project appeals to me. I'm believing such a rifle could be assembled for far less than the cost of a "tommy gun", perhaps less than the going rate for a good Marlin Camp Carbine, but I could be wrong. Might largely depend on how good a terms one is on with their local gunsmith, and what parts can be scrounged.

I've had an interest in a .45 Camp Carbine since they first came out, but never bought one.

Since the .45acp has the common head size you could build a sporter on most any Mauser or Springfield action. Getting it magazine fed would be more effort though.

I heard someone was going to make a non-suppressed version of the DeLisle carbine, but I never heard it actually happened. So, you could have a Mauser or even an SMLE action converted to shoot .45acp, if going the semi auto SMG lookalike route doesn't appeal to you.

Cost? no idea, would depend on who does the work, I would expect. You might luck out, and find a "mad machinist" who would take it on just as a project, good luck!

I also recall hearing, some years back, of some M1 carbines being converted to .45 Win Mag. Seems like if you could do this, you could do it in .45ACP. Again, since no one is doing it as a market item, it would be a one off, and cost a pretty penny.

Marlin Camp 45(?) fits the "decent" category but finding one might be difficult.
Considering the round and it's ballistics, maybe "decent" means it functions.
My only consideration for such a rifle would be as a suppressor host. In that scenario, a functional, ergonomic, mag fed 45 semi-auto would provide a solution if your situation required that sort of firepower.

Consider a Hi-Point Carbine,,,

Consider a Hi-Point Carbine in .45 ACP,,,
Click here please.

4595TS.jpg

I have the 9mm version and it's a solid performer,,,
It's as ugly as original sin but a decent gun.

If you don't mind your friends teasing you about it,,,
You'll probably be able to out shoot them.

Just an option no one hasd mentioned as yet.

Aarond

It's too bad that Marlin/Remington doesn't reintroduce the Camp Carbine again...and Ruger could do the same with their Deerfield .44 magnum carbine.

There is also the "Just Right Carbine" if you're into AR styling, or the TNW Aero Survivor, H&K semi versions of their submachine guns, plus clones of them, and the Beretta CX4 Storm. Mech Tech makes carbine "uppers" where you attach the lower frame assembly from your pistol, but I don't think they have one yet for SIGs. The H&R Reising Model 60 might be another more traditionally styled option (looks more like the Marlin Camp Carbine), but all I've found are pretty expensive collectibles.

There's also an outfit in Texas that converts Marlin lever actions for auto pistol calibers, and of course nothing is impossible if ya got the cash for a full blown custom piece.

There is a rather interesting article in this months "Rifle" magazine, in Gil Sengal's (?) "Light Gunsmithing" column, discussing a build/custom "big bore plinker" derived from an older Mauser action, that is indeed chambered in .45 acp.

The build is a single shot...

A friend has a .45 Mauser like that.
It just does not do anything for me. And apparently not for him, either, he seems to be shooting mostly .22LR these days.

Sengal's .45 plinker

Sengal states that his project rifle was based on a similar rifle owned by an acqaintance. The model rifle was built when surplus .45acp was apparently common and affordable.

For me, the attraction is the novelty of the thing, which frequently is not cost effective, which is why I don't own a Humvee, anything in .50 BMG, or a Lockheed P-38. A fella can hope though.

If you want something unique, check out Macon Armory... build a lower, and have them make you a D/I .45 upper.

DB96C319-1902-4A80-B7C9-5A05FE8C05DC_zpsnf8qapxz.jpg

E6401E6F-1987-4111-BD80-01B7B517E442_zps0ssbnslt.jpg

They do a magazine setup with their own design... fitting a standard AR magazine well. I have their earlier adapter, which uses H&K USC magazines.

I would like a bolt action 45 ACP "plinker"-makes it easier to retrieve brass.
One with interchangeable barrels ala the SIG SHR 970, use the various rounds with a 45 ACP base-45 ACP, 45 Winchester Magnum, e.g.

There is the Mech Tech Systems CCU which uses a pistol receiver. A little on the expensive side, but its modular design allows for a lot of customizing.

Back