Looking for opinions.

keithdog

Hello. New to the forums here and this is my first of what will no doubt be many posts. Looking forward to being involved here.
I am wanting to purchase a compact 9mm caliber for concealed carry. I want something that is easily concealed, very reliable and easily taken apart for cleaning. Also concerned about smooth functioning as arthritis is beginning to be an issue in my hands. I currently carry a S&W 4013TSW in .40 cal and it is a great gun, but it's always been stiff and take down in a real pain! The spring in the clip is so stiff I can't fill it to capacity, and neither could 3 other guys at the range last Saturday. It's also heavier and bulkier than I wish to carry. My hands are fairly small and I don't have a large frame. I'm just doing my research now and saving my pennies. I thought I would post the guns I am interested in to see what feed back I might get back about either gun which members here might be familiar with. Such as how well they carry, dependability, easily field stripped, performance issues, and so on. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated. The guns I'm interested in are as follow.

Glock gen 3 or 4 model 26.
S&W Shield
Springfield XDs
Sig P250
All 9mm

These are on my list for now, but open to suggestions. I'm not interested in revolvers for this purchase. Maybe later. I've ruled some guns out due to performance issues I've read about. Thanks for any input you can offer.

Last edited:
My vote:
1st - Gen 4 Glock 26 + a pinky extension.
2nd - XDs
3rd - S&W Sheild
4th - Sig 250

==
I have shot a few glocks but own only 1, a Gen 4 34. I use to not like glocks but the more I use my 34, the more I like the pistol. Simple. Accurate. Reliable. Easy to maintain. I am thinking of trading my seldom used HK USP 9 for a Gen 4 Glock 26 or 19 but this will not happen soon.
==
Have not fired an XDs or Sheild -- but based on XDm and M&P, they should be good, too.
==
Sig 250 -- The first ones had a bad trigger. I heard there is a newer version with some tweaks to it (maybe a 250R).

You mean the spring in your magazine is stiff. I have the Shield9 and like it. But you should see if you are able to rent/shoot those guns and see which one you prefer. Happy hunting!

I'd add Ruger SR9 or the SR9C to the list

But Glocks are the EASIEST to strip for cleaning in my opinion.

I'm sure you know, but I'll repeat the warning you'll hear over and over - Compact guns are NOT what one would usually call "smooth". Reduction in size almost always equates to increase in felt recoil. Also, the smaller the gun, the less you'll enjoy it at the range. My .02.

Happy hunting ;)!

Rod

Love my XD/S in .45. Extremely thin. Carries like a dream with no sharp edges. Great sights and accurate.

The only one on your list I own is the Sig P250, and I like it. I don't know that you can find and easier pistol to strip down and clean.

I would also recommend you buying an UpLULA for reloading your magazines no matter which pistol you end up buying. With your condition, it will help make shooting more enjoyable.

Can't judge a book by it's cover

Yesterday I put in some range-time and shot my buddy's two CCW's. one was the Ruger LC9 and the other was a Taurus 9MM snub-nose revolver. Going in, I was really looking forward to shooting the LC9, for future considerations, not so much the Taurus. Well, afterwards, had to do a 180 on these two as I preferred "this" Taurus. .... ;)

Came away with a new understanding on usage. I feel that even though it's for compact CCW, you should expect a certain amount of basic shooting characteristics as well as handling. I think that is what you should consider when making a selection. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I'd add Ruger SR9 or the SR9C to the list

Rod

I agree here. I own an SR9c and it's a joy to shoot, and not very hard to take apart. The springs in the mags are stiff, but it comes with a tool that helps with that. Mine has been 100% reliable and performed flawlessly.

Keithdog, I know this isn't in your list of guns you are looking at but you might find that with the arthritis it might be time to revisit the simple benefits of a good old fashioned six-gun.

It just seems that it will come to this sooner or later so the sooner you start looking for a real beauty the more fun you'll get in owning it.

Can't beat the Glock for easy take down, but the shield is VERY comfortable in the hand and I think that the grip on the Shield would lend itself a bit better for a smaller hand.

Just got home from work and reading all the replies. I really appreciate your input. Lamarw, I have never heard of an UpLULA before. I will check that out and thanks for the tip. The arthritis in my hands is far from being debilitating now, but will only get worse over the years, so it is a factor. So a revolver as Icpiper mentioned might be a good thought down the road. I heard of a couple instances of guys who bought the XD pistol who had feed problems the first few hundred rounds but that it worked itself out. That's the only thing I am hesitant about with the XDs. Other than that, it looks great on paper. I can't wait to get my hands on these to physically compare them. :)

SIG P250 subcompact has mild recoil, the slide is easy to rack and disassembly is a breeze (all you do is lock the slide back, rotate the takedown lever then release the slide from slidelock and it slips right off the grip module).
Tomac

ohh geez, flip a coin. I like the triggers on the Glocks. That's why I bought "one" (Glock 20 frame with multi cal options like 460 rowland, 9x25 Dillon), I shoot them really well.

Keith, I would suggest looking at the Beretta PX4 in compact or subcompact. I owned one in 9mm FS, and liked the feel and relatively light weight. You might like the smaller ones, and the takedown is a breeze. Recoil is very manageable. It can be had in either DAO (type D) or SA/DA with or without a decocker.

Back