Looking for new handgun, please help!

imq707s

I'm in the market for a new semi-auto handgun. The only handgun I own is a Rugger .22, but I'm thinking about getting a larger caliber gun like a 9mm or a .45. I really like the looks and feel of the 1911's, and I also like the Glock 17. I will use this gun for taget shooting and home defence. Concidering all of the new handguns out there, what would be a few to look into. I would like the price to be under $500 if possilbe. What about ammo, isn't the 9mm a bunch cheaper than .45 ammo? What would you recomend? Thanks.

Which Handgun

imq, Take a look at the Dessert Eagle Baby Eagle 9mm. Well built good handgun for the money.I paid about $389. for mine and I really like it.I believe that gun to be a sleeper.Also if you want to spend a little more then $500. take a look at a Springfield Loaded if you want a 1911. Also there are alot of inexpensive clones out there to. I just bought a 9mm FM Browning clone for $200. Also I had looked at a FEG made in Hungary. Another HP clone that didn't look to bad for the money also.I think any of the above will fill your need. Yes 9mm ammo is cheaper then .45
Hope this helps;)

For some laid back gun chat visit
The Triple F Ranch
http://pub33.ezboard.com/bfirearmsfriendsfamily

you might consider the glock 19 rather than the 17. no need to have a glock that big with just 10 rounds (you can get high caps though, about $100).
the glock 19 is a great all-around gun. you can get hi-caps for it also.

Forget about the Glock 17, get a Ruger P95 or P97. I owned a Glock 17 and it was nothing special: bad ergonomics, below average accuracy, sub par reliability, etc...
Mine could have been a lemon (most Glock 17s are reliable) but I have shot many and IMO G17s are NOT that accurate.

The Ruger P97 OTOH is one nice weapon! Mine has an excellent trigger, accuracy, and very good ergonomics. The P97's recoil (to me) is less snappy than the Glock 17. I also highly recommend the Ruger P95...every one I shot has been very good overall.

If you got the money, also take a look at the Sig Sauer 220, 226, 229 or 239. These are excellent pistols in their own right.

Look for a factory reconditioned Glock 17 or 19, or a new Ruger P-95, Ruger P-97, or CZ-75B.

All will shoot similarly, and will be equally reliable, and all will be in the same general price range (although the Glocks will be a bit higher.) Try them before you buy, perhaps by renting them at a localrange.

The Rugers look big and ungainly, but if you check the measurements, you'll find that they're actually smaller than some of the competing guns.

The Glock, if it fits your hand, is an excellent weapon. It seemed a little big for me. (The .45 version is definitely too big.)

The CZ-75 is may favorite. A natural pointer, and just as reliable as the other two.

(I've had them all, but have a CZ-85 Combat, now. Same basic gun as a CZ-75, but a nicer level of fit and finish.)

Ruger a good choice

If cost is a concern but you want reliability and toughness then you really ought to take the advice of some of the posters who recommend Rugers. IMHO they are "butt ugly" but they are extremely tough, reliable, and utterly dependable weapons. As to 9mm vs .45 ACP - well that's a whole different can of worms. I have not found basic ammunition in those two specific calibers to be of much different cost in this part of the world (Oregon. Both are excellent choices. Good luck and good shooting

Two makes come immediately to mind...the Ruger P-Series, especially the polymer-framed P-95 [9mm] and P-97 [.45 ACP], and the CZ75 [9mm]. These are excellent guns for the money...accurate, reliable and very "user-friendly". Couldn't go wrong with any of 'em...Let us know what you decide!!!....mikey357

I'd definitely stick with 9mm if price is at all a consideration. Much cheaper! You can't go wrong getting a Ruger or CZ. Would prob cost around $325 brand new. Add another $100 to get a couple or three hicap mags and you're good to go. Trustworthy self defense that won't hurt the pocketbook...

I suggest the Glock 23. It is inbetween the 9mm and 45 and I pay $8.50 a box of Blazer. I believe it to be superior to the Ruger et al. In AZ it goes for $479 (J & G Sales). For my hand it is the ideal size. I had the cast extractor break off during practice on my Ruger and did not like that. The Glock is of much higher quality with no cast parts, to the best of my knowledge. I have yet to have one jam with my 23 or 27.

My personal favorite is the Sig, but they are out of the $500 price range. Although Sig now has a lower cost polymer gun ,the Sig Pro, but I have never shot one, so I don't know how they measure up to the other Sigs. If you are thinking of using a 1911 type for self defense you need to consider what condition you are comfortable keeping the gun in. Some people are not comfortable with choosing between cocked and locked or unchambered. As for ammo, 9mm is cheaper especialy surplus ball ammo. However, the 9mm is a marginal self defense round. .40 cal and even the .357 Sig are gaining favor with federal, state and local agencies. But the best advice when gun shopping is shoot as many different guns as you can (dry fire if shooting is not an option) and choose the one that feels best in your hand.

Let me add my two cents in favor of Ruger semi autos.

They are accurate, reliable, and I don't think they are "butt ugly." I have a P94 in .40, and I carry this pistol all day as a security guard, then off-duty IWB. So obviously I believe in it. And did I mention they are a bargain?

Aim Surplus is advertising the S & W 5906 9mm. for $299.95. This is a factory reconditioned pistol that comes with one hi-cap and one 10 rounder in factory box with warranty. Mine looks brand new.
These are tough and reliable pistols and a standard sidearm for many law enforcement agencies.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/
smith1.jpg

How about a Beretta 92? It should be close to the $500 price range and will work flawlessly. 9mm is about half the price of .40 or .45 around here.

The best buy in a self defense gun is without a doubt, the Makarov. However, you expressed a desire to stay with the 9x19mm Parabellum, or the .45ACP. Where price is a consideration, I would choose the Ruger P95 in 9mm, or the P97 in .45ACP. 15 round Factory Ruger mags for the P95 can still be had for a resonable price. Aftermarket mags are also available.

Another vote for the Ruger P series pistols. Best value on the market. Have heard many good things about the CZ's, but no one I know has one, so cannot comment. Avoid Jennings and Ravens and the like. They are cheap, but you will end up buying a better pistol after they frustrate the h*ll out of you. 9mm is cheaper to shoot, and will still put holes in goblins.

I agree with 44rugerfan. The p-series Ruger semi's are excellent guns. I own the p94 in .40 and it is great. It also comes in 9mm, which my father owns. Still am waiting on my first jam. By the way, if cost is a factor, the 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper than .45. Believe me, check out http://www.ammoman.com . The prices you see there will convince you. Either way you go, make sure you like your choice. Best of luck.

Aggiejrc

Texas A&M University!!!!!

Back