Looking for negative feedback on Kimber Ultra Carry, CZ50/70 and HK P7M8

My experience with a Kimber Ultra Elite was all positive. Very accurate and worked perfectly. No bones to pick. I also once had a HK P7M8 9mm. Greg gave you a good rundown. I am one of those lucky ones who kept disassembling it while racking the slide. I got rid of it for that reason.

As far as the "rasp feeling" back strap goes on the kimber, I think it helps to control the small size of the CDP ultra and it doesn't feel uncomfortable at all. I haven't found a single thing that would make me want to sell my Ultra CDP. Now as far as the CZ 70 goes, I picked one up at a show and gave it to my brother for christmas. When we shot it for the first time, it was a jam "o" matic, and it even discharged when I used the decocker! We have since got it cleaned up and lubed with teflon spray and it seems to be jamming less and less as we break it in. It does have a lot of desirable features such as easy field striping and a loaded chamber indicator. The trigger was very light and crisp in the single action mode and fairly smooth in D/A also. I would not depend on one for a defensive weapon(not yet anyway) But it is a fun little cheap shooter.

I've never owned or fired a Kimber Ultra carry(very nice looking pistol). Just thought I would mention that I was at the indoor range last weekend and a guy came in with a new Kimber Ultra Carry w/8 mags. He told the owner that he had only fired about 150 rounds thru it and didn't like it. He asked the owner if he would consider trading a NIB Glock G36 for it. The owner agreed and put the Kimber up for sale for $800.00. Don't know if that's a bad sign or not.

AirTech

Sorry dude, you won't hear me bad mouthing the P7.

Greg Bell must have had the only "Monday" P7 ever built.

Yeah, it gets hot. Quit ya whinning. It's not a comfort weapon. The recoil system develops a lot of friction and heat. It was designed as an anti-terrorist gun for personnel wearing gloves.

It's designed to run dirty. It's in the manual. Read it. You only have to do a full blown cleaning about ever 1,000 rounds.

The finish is not as good as a Glock but better than Sig. On par with Beretta.

If the P7s were such crappy guns, why did the market gobble them up after the factory refurb release a year ago? And it's not the price, people only saved $300 or so dollars off of new. Don't see them bouncing back through the auction sites.

The P7 and the Sig P210 are the only two 9mm's that will smoke most 1911s out to 25 yards. It's a great gun. If I could only have one 9mm, that would be it.

I don't know about the other guns but you've mixed calibers and if I was looking for great CCW 9mm's, the Glock 26 and Kahr K9 would have to be considered.

CZs are well made but are not great CCW guns. Kind of the Ruger of the European world. I'd consider an EAA Witness based upon their accessories. If you get a 45, you can conversion kits for 9mm and .22lr..

But don't anybody ever tell you the P7 isn't one of the sweetest guns ever made.

Half inch groups at 25 yards out the box. If somebody's talkin, they just haven't owned one long enough or are blaming the equipment for their shortcomings or just can't afford one.

The vast majority of shooters I know haven't even heard about one let along seen one or shot one.

What other gun keeps on shooting without an ejector?

In the past year of combing HKPro, HK Forum, and Park Cities, I can't recall of one P7 kBoom or major mechanical failure. For that matter, even a minor failure. Its made out of the finest steel, that's why its heavy and it will gobble up 1500 fps 115 grain rounds like candy. No wussy +P warnings in that manual.

But several Glock, Sig, HK USP, Beretta, Colt, and 1911 sites post tons of mechanical, metalurgical, and engineering problems with those guns.

Whatever man makes, can usually be improved. But the P7 is pretty close.

So . . . don't mess with the P7 Cult!

My unbaised impartial opinion.

I have a Kahr P9 (which is very nice) and a G26 (a bit boxy but not bad)...I just wanted something that points well and has a great (not just good) trigger. P7 is a joy to shoot but I've never owned one and so want to know the caveats.

Then again, it is not likely that I can buy either of them for at least several months :(

I've been carrying a Kimber Ultra Elite since October of 99 and I've never EVER had a problem with it.
However, there ARE some negative aspects to the gun, and I HAVE done a very little work on it.

First, the Extractor is MIM. BIG, mistake! HUGE mistake. It won't stand up to heavy use. Mine didn't break, but a friend's did, and once I saw the nature of the breakage, I immediately replaced it with a stainless Wilson Extractor.

The pistol came with Shooting Star Magazines. To put it bluntly, Shooting Star mags SUCK! Scrap'em. I didn't even bother trying to use them. Once I saw what they were, I bought 4 Wilson 7 round Officer's mags and never had a malfunction.

The sharp checkering on the mainspring housing that everyone talks about is sharp because the housing is PLASTIC!
This kinda annoys me. I figure if I pay 1000 bucks for a pistol, it should have a steel mainspring housing.
So, I bought a Wilson Checkered Stainless housing for 40 bucks and slapped it in. (Perfect fit)
I shoot this little pistol all the time and have had NO problems with it, but then it's not factory stock either.
Take it FWIW, YMMV, etc.

PS
I don't mean to sound like I'm plugging Wilson products, but their mags are THE best on the market for 1911 pattern and as to the other parts hey, they're easily available and they work.

At 2000 rounds per year, you can expect to get 5 years worth of use. 10,000 rounds of full-load ammo seems to be the "norm." The guns are very accurate. I have yet to find someone who really thought they lost accuracy by going to the shorter Ultra. That being said, it does have a short sight radius and this means that it is easy to get on target and easy to get off target - an issue inherent to short sight radii. I actually shoot my Kimber Ultra Elite better than my Combat Commander.

I have made this analogy before, the Ultras are like Miatas. They are quick around the corners, but the ride is a little rough. This means you can clear leather a little more quickly because of the short distance your gun has to come out before you can start rotating the muzzle on target. With a full-size 1991, you get the Cadillac type of ride where the ride is smoother, but cornering is slower.

Greg, I know the request was for negatives, but at least reference him to your huge list of positives. My P7M8 is the finest shooting gun I have ever shot. And the heat problem is over blown.

My only negative is that once you have one, you want more!

Oleg,

I do not own (and have never owned ) a P7. I have shot them several times. There are two schools of thought when it comes to these squeeze cocking pistols; Those that love them and those that hate them. They are different and they are not for everybody. Before you buy one you would be well advised to try it for yourself.

As you can see from these posts, they have their good points and their bad points. For people who get along with the squeeze cocker and love them, the bad points are accepted and trivialized. For those that do not get along with the cocker and hate them, the other weak points are intolerable. But the cocker is what separates the two camps and it's a personal thing that you have to try and then decide. If you can get used to that, you'll likely love the pistol.

I think shooting the 1911 with the grip safety on the rear of the grip makes the cocker on the front strap particularly unfamiliar.

The take home point is: Try before you buy! they aren't for everybody.

Back