Looking for low powered scopes again!

I've never been a big fan of low powered scopes. I just recently purchased my very first scope that has a 1x setting, and only because it's also capable of 8x. It's a Vortex 1-8x Strike Eagle, and I like it overall so far, but it does suffer some distortion when set on 1x. I found it in a store for $300.

I wouldn't want to settle for a 1-4x or similar if I could get a1-8x in my price range.

If I thought I'd always keep it on 1x for close range, I'd probably just stick with iron sights. (And/or a shotgun!)

"For cartridges with legs that long, the sky's the limit on magnification."

No, it is NOT...

As post says, looking for a LOW POWERED scope!!!

"Leupold at one time sold a compact 3-9x that qualifies as small(ish) as well. A conventional 3-9x40mm would not be out of place on those rifles either."

You are mixing up LOW POWERED with SIZE...

Want 1X to 2X power on the low end...

Limit on the upper end would would depend on the specific cartridge / cartridge capabilities and the type of target...

TW

Some rifles have mount spacing places that don't well coincide with the scope/mount configurations normally found on bolt-action rifles.

Mounts for some older military rifles are especially difficult to set up for optimal eye relief and cheek height. Bolt clearance of the eyepiece is often a problem.

Last edited:
Back