Looking for Help with AMT Backup .45

It does look like the follower that Metalform put in their Detonics mags; original Detonics mags allowed the long follower to extend out the bottom of the mag, but Metalform-branded versions have a solid baseplate and short rear leg on the follower.

RickB said:
It does look like the follower that Metalform put in their Detonics mags; original Detonics mags allowed the long follower to extend out the bottom of the mag, but Metalform-branded versions have a solid baseplate and short rear leg on the follower.
Yes, Metalform did that as a way to fit 8 rounds in a 7-round Government/Commander magazine, and 7 rounds in a 6-round Officers ACP magazine. And the result is magazines that are prone to allowing the rounds to nose dive when feeding. I keep a stock of GI-spec followers and any of those Metalform magazines that follow me home get the short-leg followers replaced as a high order of priority.

Unfortunately, this little magazine is quite a bit shorter than even an Officers ACP magazine, and replacing the follower with a GI-spec follower would reduce the capacity by one round. Probably not an ideal solution, so I would work with the springs.

The lip?
Spring width might not matter; the follower should track up and down.
Since the follower is so similar to that in a 7-round 1911 mag, I'd trim the spring so it's two coils longer than the factory spring, and test it.
Are you sure the spring is oriented correctly in the last pic; usually the top coil is pushing up on the front of the follower, to counter any tendency for rounds to nose-dive.
Since the whole endeavor is an experiment, try it both ways.
This is a disassembled 6rd 1911 magazine.

lol.. ok. Follower. As you can see, I'm not a gun smith :)

That's actually how it was when I took it apart. I will put it back together the other way and see what happens. Maybe that' the only issue? One can hope.

Where did you get that longer spring? It's not correct. Here's the Ordnance Department blueprint of the M1911A1 magazine spring:

It's been a few months, I don't remember where I got it, but I ordered two online from a dealer. I was under the impression that they were for a 1911 Officer's Model? No? That was what someone else suggested I try.

That spring may have been what somebody sells for an Officers ACP, but that doesn't mean whoever made it made it right. Look at the spring in RickB's photo, and look at the Ordnance blueprint for the magazine spring. The top coil is shorter than the others, it's bent up halfway along its length, and the tip is wound almost into a circle.

The only sources I trust for 1911 magazine springs are Wolff (who specialize in springs for firearms) and Check_Mate (the company that supplies OEM magazines for half (or probably more) of the companies who make and sell 1911s.

That spring may have been what somebody sells for an Officers ACP, but that doesn't mean whoever made it made it right. Look at the spring in RickB's photo, and look at the Ordnance blueprint for the magazine spring. The top coil is shorter than the others, it's bent up halfway along its length, and the tip is wound almost into a circle.

The only sources I trust for 1911 magazine springs are Wolff (who specialize in springs for firearms) and Check_Mate (the company that supplies OEM magazines for half (or probably more) of the companies who make and sell 1911s.

I wanted to think that it was Wolff that I bought it from, because I remember looking at t heir site. I'll have to check my receipts tomorrow. If it wasn't, you think that 1911 spring should work? If so, I'll give it another shot. I don't have many other options right now. Thanks.

First, I'd try the old spring oriented the other way, with the top coil angled the same as the follower.
If that doesn't work, try the other spring, whatever it is, since you already have it.
The length of the magazine tube suggests it holds five rounds, so if the new spring works, progressively trim it until five rounds will fit and the fully loaded mag can be seated in the gun with the slide forward.
If nothing seems to be working, PM me your address and I'll send you a few springs.

Attachments

• springs.jpg
    springs.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 13
Not getting into any lengthy details. I always had a thing for .45acp as a young man. And when the AMT .45 Back Up came out I had to have it. It ran OK out of the box, firing exclusively 230 grain round nose ball. ( as recommended at the time)That lasted about 50 rounds. Then it started acting up. Even sent it back to Arcadia back in the day. Played with it for years with little to zero improvement. I counted it as a novelty piece finally and counted my self proud to have it in my collection. BUT I would never ever try to protect myself with that gun Ever! You might love it yet. But, like any true love, it comes with a lot of heartache. Good luck on your journey, you seem committed.

I counted it as a novelty piece finally and counted my self proud to have it in my collection. BUT I would never ever try to protect myself with that gun Ever! You might love it yet. But, like any true love, it comes with a lot of heartache. Good luck on your journey, you seem committed.

lol... Nah. I have no intention of trusting the gun for my survival, but it really bothers me to have a firearm that doesn't work.

"committed" lol... my girlfriend would tell you that I am "committed" to a fault. My motto is "never give up" and sometimes I tend to take that a little too far. :D

AMT DAOBU .45ACP mag is 5 rounds and designed for a heel mag release.

I still own mine, mine was 100% reliable with hardball, not so much with target wadcutters or the Flying Ashtray. No matter, HP won't likely open with a 3" bbl.

I have 3-4 mags for mine and I think I bought new springs a decade back or so for the mags. Were I to need a new mag spring, I would buy the spring for a 1911OACP in .45ACP and play with it. Try stock, cut a coil at a time, etc.

===========

It is a viable carry option, though I retired mine some years back. I keep it around just in case I need another pocket gun. Best point-shooting gun I ever owned.

It has drawn blood twice...on shooters who did not listen & execute on my instructions. "Keep your thumbs on the same side or the slide will slice you and you will go to the ER for stitches and get my gun fouled with your blood." Some folks should stick to revolvers.

Back