Looking for good concealed weapon

kubiast

Inactive
I am looking for a good concealed Handgun for a small build man about 155 lbs with a small bone size. Looking for any comments on what to get. Looking at a low cost for this weapon. Caliber .40 or lower. Also this might be for a woman. Please let me know all that you all would think would be a good all around weapon.

Thanks

I carry a Taurus 85 SS .38 special 2" with 124 grain remington +p golden sabres Off Duty. Taurus' range new between $230 to 400 low end to titanium models. Mine was $285 NIB. It's a great piece, very reliable and idiot proof.

If you're looking for a concealed handgun, check your waistband for an IWB holster. Chances are there will be a gun in it. Good Luck!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
-Parke1

It depends on your handgun proficiency and choice of clothing among other things. My wife carries a stainless Taurus 85CH (.38 Spl) and I either carry a KelTec P32 (.32 Auto) or my soon to arrive Kahr MK9 (9mm). The Kahr may be a little pricey for your needs so another option would be the KelTec P11 (9mm). I would probably lean towards recommending the Taurus.

Here are a couple other options:

Makarov (9x18).
Sig P230/P232 (.380 auto).
Glock 26/27 (9mm, .40)
Pre-sellout S&W Airlite Ti .38spl.

Depending on how you dress, a mid-size pistol might work fine. I'm 160 lbs, 5'9", and can carry a Glock 19 in cool/cold weather. This would expand the list to compact 1911-types, HK compacts (or P7), CZ compact, etc..

Most smallish guns will work fine if you have the right holster.

-z

Kubiast,

For a low cost reliable weapon I would suggest a Makarov type pistol. You can typically get this weapon anywhere between the $100-300 dollar range. These weapons are extremely reliable and durable. Caliber choices are .380 Auto or 9x18. You can find ammo for either type, but I would prefer .380 Auto, which you can find in any Walmart or sporting goods store. Both calibers can meet or exceed .38 special loadings depending on bullet choice.

Lightweight revolvers are a popular choice, but unless you are willing to practice with them, the chances of you hitting your target is unlikely, especially in a high stress situation. This is true with any weapon, but even more so with the ultra lightweight revolvers that have heavy recoil, especially more noticeable to smaller users.

Unless you are willing to make dress modifications, especially in the summer, I would suggest that you carry in a fanny pack or specially designed fanny pack type holster. I use a cheap 15 dollar pack for days when I just don't feel like strapping a pistol on and for days when you can't...like going to the beach and you still want to be armed.

Good Shooting,
Red

For a novice shooter I would still recommend sticking with a revolver. They may be more difficult to shoot accurately than a SA auto but most defensive shootings will happen at uncomfortably close range. My 4'9" 95 lbs wife does fine shooting her Taurus 85 with 147 gr +P . Although admittedly her model is a heavier all stainless steel version. It also was easy on the wallet at $225 NIB.

dA29706.jpg

My apologies in advance for putting a "wheelgun" on the semiauto forum. ;)

Wait, I was going to suggest a wheelgun as well but it IS the semi forum...

I'd say that a Glock 26 would be the best bet, or Sig P239/HK USP compact 9mm if you can afford them. Not sure how new you or the potential female shooter are to shooting, but if relatively new, I would stick with the 9mms above the .40s. Easier on the hands and the pocketbook.

Some suggestions kinda in order

Sig 230/232
Star UltraStar
Sig 225
Sig 239
Tarus Millennium series
Browning BDM

You might look at the FEG series of .380 pistols which are quite reasonable and lighter than the Makarov, or an older police trade in gun. There are so many choices in 9mm at really good trade in prices. It really pays you to shop around and ask to shoot every gun you can.

I second (or third?) the Kahr. They are slim and compact and come in a bit more potent caliber than the Makarov. I do NOT own one, but have a couple of friends who do. They praise it for reliability and concealability. I like the fit and finish. Myself, being on the larger side of life, I carry a full size pistol most of the time so I would have no need for a Kahr. But I might buy one anyway. I hear them calling out to me . . .

two suggestions

For less expensive, but utterly reliable, accurate and well made, get the CZ-75 PCR. Light alloy frame, great grips, superb gun.

A more expensive and intersting alternative is an HK P7, either a PSP or M8. Unusual, heavy, reliable, Accurate with a capitol A and concealable.

Pilot

Concealed Handgun

There are a lot of good choices mentioned above. I carry a Glock 27 and love it. But the .40 round may be a bit to snappy for the wife, So the 26 would be a better choice.
Also the Makarov is a fine inexpensive handgun and very cheap to shoot.
I also have a Bersa Md#83 in .380 which was cheap and to me seems to be a very well built handgun for the money.
The one thing your going to have to do is get to a shop somewhere and handle them. whatever fits your hand the best will be the best buy for you. ;)

One more suggestion to add into the mix...
Look at a Kel-Tek P11 9mm. I have one and it has been very reliable and it is very concealable. Holds 10+1 in a nice small package and can be had NIB for about 225 bucks.

Good luck.

Get them coming

Thanks to all. Please keep them coming. What does everyone think about a Watlther PPK for a choice? I need as much info as I can.

Thanks

Back