looking for advice on the savage 10fp or the rem 700 sps varmint

shiloh buck hunter said:
now what kind of optics should i consider, i wanna be able to eventually shoot out to possibly the 800-1000 yd mark, but really dont wanna sink every last penny i got into the scope,
For shooting that distance, you're probably going to spend every last dollar you have in the scope. Think Nightforce, US Optics, or high end Leupold. What will become more important at those distances is learning to read wind. Without that ability you'll simply be lost as windage at that distance is measured in feet, not inches.

I routinely shoot out to 300-500 yards, but I'm a hunter and I want to shoot to those distances primarily as an exercise. Going out farther than that means it's time to step up the equipment. There are lots of good 300-500 yard scopes out there that are affordable, but once you get past that distance you'll be spending much more for the scope than you paid for the rifle.

I had the older model you are talking about.Just traded it in on a Savage 12 FVSS. The model you are looking at is very accurate. I had no problems hitting a golf ball 9 out of 10 times at 300 yards with it. The only change i made,being i bench shoot only,was to add 8 lbs of #4 shot to it. It came in at just short of 16 lbs,but was a dream to shoot. I would take that over any other choice out there.
Out of the box accuracy can not be beat by any one. As for shooting 1000 yards, The scope will come into play on that. I shoot mine a lot from 600 to 1000 yards also. Here is where i get beat up by everyone in here. I do not believe in spending thousands on a scope. To me that is the biggest scam out there. I shoot as good(actually first year in comp this year i out shot 11 of 13 veterans).
I do it with a UTG scope $200.00 and some change. 8-32 x 56. Crystal clear and will go from 600 yards to 1000 with repeatability all the time, But the scope thing is your call. Back to the Savage rifle. I say go for it and you will not be dissapointed. If you do,drop me a line ,i have a load for that thing that will knock your socks off. Save you the time of load development for sure.

ok so i did get some advice on scopes but i feel the same way, that high dollar models are a gimmick, and it will probably take a while to change my opinion on that, a few yrs ago i out shot the top four shooters at my local club at 200 yds with a 3-9x40 tasco world class on 3 power cause i forgot to turn up the magnification. i was thinking about either a nikon, or bushnell, maybe spring on a leupold. now i have also heard that simmons has a few options also for some long range shooting like the predator quest series, so many choices not sure how to choose......

Right now CameralandNY has a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44 for sale for $279. I'd seriously consider one of those if I were you and shooting at known ranges. It has a wide duplex reticle, and it is $459 for the BDC and MilDot scopes in the same power range.

My long range rifle wears a 3-10X40 Weaver GS Tactical which is $299 right now at Midway. They can only be bought at Midway as well. Not a bad scope for the money, but you'll probably need a 20 MOA base to get out to 1000 yards with either scope.

I put a Vortex Viper PST on my Savage 10 FCP HS-Precision mid last year and haven't regretted it a bit. It replaced a Bushnell Elite 4200 FFP mil/mil. The Viper PST I installed was a 4-16x50mm illuminated FFP mil/mil. This Savage was the first gun I had ever spent money on for a FFP optic and my only regret is not having done it on prior rifles.

The Viper PST is good glass and if you get on some of the forums that are more precision rifle focused, you'll see they have a good following. I've had mine out to 600 yds and see no problem stretching that out to 1000 yds....other than me not doing it justice. :D

ok i purchased the savage model 10fxp in 308 win it came as a package deal at my gun shop i bought it 2 boxes of factory ammo, a cleaning kit and a coupl other accessories for just over 500 :) the scope is a bushnell sharpshooter in 3-9x 40 not my best choice but i couldnt beat the price. and yes it does have the accutrigger, lol. now i'm going to shoot it and practice with it for awhile, before i start handloading for it. is there y bullets that perform better than others, i wanna primarily shoot varmint, predator, and target, and occasionally big game from a shooting bench in my box blind, alomg our family bean field.

Back