looking for advice on the savage 10fp or the rem 700 sps varmint

i am looking to buy a new rifle in a couple wks. i know i want a 308 win but not sure if i want a remington 700 sps varmint of the savage 10 fp. any help in deciding would be great.

Both are excellent choices. You can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

I own the exact 700 you are looking at. Have changed the stock and trigger, but the gun has been great from day 1.

The Remington is more customizable, has more aftermarket stocks and parts availalbe.

The savage is supposed to be a little more accurate out of the box, but I do not own one, so can't comment.

Enjoy...
DSC01655.jpg

Get the Savage Model 10 FCP 5R

Savage Model 10 FCP #19058S

24 inch fluted heavy barrel with 5R rifling Matte finish

11.25 inch twist.

5/8x24 threads for suppressor with thread protector

Black AccuStock

Detachable box magazine

Magazine Capacity 4 Rounds

AccuTrigger with 1.5 to 5 pound pull

Caliber: .308 Win

Average price $760.oo

Last edited:
thanks the savage i have been looking at is an older model i believe, my local gun shop has it on a closeout sale, i know it has the accu trigger, 5 round top load mag, 24" barell, with synthetic stock in 308. i am looking to set it up for hunting and probably some bench rest shooting, i am not familiar with the remington x mark pro trigger, so that is y i have been leaning to the savage, also i wanna make sure my wife and son can shoot it and not be put through any punishment, does anyone think that one is better than the other for my situation? Would a 223 be better i was hoping to use it for coyotes, groundhogs, and some big game animals also(deer and maybe bear)

Last edited:
I own both in different variations. My 700 is a 7mm08 SPS Varmint and flat out shoots though I had to do some things to make it personally acceptable and therefore have more tied up in it.

My Savage 10 is a Precsion Carbine and it too flat out shoots but costed a few $100.00 less when everything was factored in.

Golfnutriv, is that the Blackhawk cheek rest? Where did you get it?

The only Remington that I'd buy is the 700-5R,they are a great rifles out of the box.
I have 5 Savage heavy barreled rifles,Model 12 FLVSS 223,FLV 308,and a Model 10 FCP 308,Model 110 FLP 25/06 and 300 Win Mag.All 5 are excellent shooters.

Tikka,CZ,and Howa also make some nice heavy barreled rifles in the same price ranges as Savage and Remington.

15 Year old girl wins first in her class! Shooting a factory Savage of course...

Why would anyone buy a Cooper, Tikka, Sako, and spend all that money when a Savage is just as accurate or has better accuracy right out of the box?

How do Northland, Shilen, Lothar Walther, Krieger, or who ever is selling so called premium after market barrels for Savages, stay in business?

Why would anyone want to buy a premium replacement barrel when the Savage factory barrels shoot dime sized groups with factory ammo?

15 Year old girl wins first in her class! Shooting a factory Savage of course...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...f-class-match/

How do these other companies stay in business, competing against Savage rifles that are accuracy superior?

How many Remingtons do you think she shot against?

blacksky said:
Why would anyone want to buy a premium replacement barrel when the Savage factory barrels shoot dime sized groups with factory ammo?

So we can change caliber, of course. Or, we can take an el-cheapo Savage and turn it into a heavy-barreled wondergun. Yeah, switching barrels on a Savage is half the fun.

we can take an el-cheapo Savage and turn it into a heavy-barreled wondergun.

I would call all 4 of my Savage rifles Wonderguns straight out of the box!:D

The 700 has better aftermarket availability; its pretty much the 350 chevy of the gun world. If you do not plan on doing a lot of mods to the gun then the Savage 10fp is an excellent gun. I think that Savage puts out a consistently better product then Remington right now. That said I just went with the Remington 700 SPS varmint, but I plan on replacing the stock and barrel at some point in its life. Not much difference between the two guns performance wise at the end of the day.

. Last Escape Pod @ golfnutrlv

What's the thing on your rifle stock? It looks like a neat accessory I might get.

His stock looks like a Bell & Carlson. You might try searching Stocky's Stocks for it.

seriously starting to lean towards the savage even though its the 110 model and no the 10 that i originally thought, the only thing that i am wondering on now is the difference between the x-mark pro trigger on the remington, or the savage accutrigger. my local gun club has a stock deer hunter rifle class that i would like to participate in to start getting used to the competition scene. So whats the difference, is one better than the other or what?

The Xmark Pro trigger was Remington's attempt to put out a user adjustable trigger that could compete with the accutrigger. They have had quite a few problems with them since they were introduced and IMO they are nowhere near as good as the accutrigger.

The Accutrigger is far surperior...

The Accutrigger is as close to a adjustable custom trigger as you'll find on a out of the box rifle at Savage price points! I have 3 Savage bolt rifles with Accutriggers and have learned to use and love each one individually. The Accutrigger has been a big part of that experience. :cool:

I own savages because they have a huge amount of aftermarket parts and i can change the caliber at will. Its a tinkerers gun. I do have a rem 700 in 300 saum that i got from my dad in a trade for an old mauser. I havent shot it yet because my savage gets in the way! I always here people say that the rem has way more aftermarket, but that was years ago. the savage crowd is cathing up quickly. Dont get me wrong, rem makes a wonderful rifle. I just prefer savage.

The Xmark Pro trigger was Remington's attempt to put out a user adjustable trigger that could compete with the accutrigger. They have had quite a few problems with them since they were introduced and IMO they are nowhere near as good as the accutrigger.

I have to agree with this. Never had an technical issue with the trigger. I felt that I could change it and make the rifle more accurate (by eliminating some "me" factor).

I installed a Timney Trigger W/Safety in mine, factory set at 1.5 pounds. I can get away with this because it is s target rifle.

ok so i decided to go with the savage 110fp with the accutrigger, now what kind of optics should i consider, i wanna be able to eventually shoot out to possibly the 800-1000 yd mark, but really dont wanna sink every last penny i got into the scope, i primarily will be hunting varmints, predators, and deer with it. i personall don't like the mil dot style reticles if i dont have to.

Back