Looking for a lightweight polymer pistol at least 9 mm.

Smoking Joe

Inactive
I'm looking for a lightweight polymer pistol. I have had my eyes on a Walther P99, Glock 19, CZ100, and the new HS2000. I've owned a CZ 75 before and liked it, but I've never handled the CZ 100. I like the feel of the Walther P99, but I don't know if spending $600 is justified on this pistol. I don't care about hi-cap mags so that is not a consideration of mine. Any help would be appreciated since I'm not very knowledgable of the polymer guns. I've always used the traditional 1911's or the CZ 75 and am behind on the polymer pistols. Thank you for any help and I look forward to your responses.

how about

the Ruger P95? I don't have any experience with it, and only the lower portion of the gun is polymer, but others here who own one have nothing but good things to say about them. That and the fact that they're ~$300 for a new one has become very appealing for me to choose as my CCW once I get it.

I suggest you look at the HK USP Compact...and if you want a REALLY SMALL pistol, look at the Kel-Tec P-11....mikey357

I have a HS2000 already, but compared to the Walther p99's and the HK's, there has to be something different. I'm willing to spend up to $600 on a new polymer pistol, but I just don't know much about these plastic guns? I've noticed from other responses, that the new HS 2000 has the accessory rail on the dust cover to hold a flashlight or laser, but then again, I don't know if its worth spending extra hard earned cash just for an accessory rail. I like the way the HS2000 shoots, but then again, I don't have any experience with the others. How much are the HK USP's? I've heard a lot of good things about these pistols, but again I have never even held one.

Well...

...if you really like the CZ-75, you could go with one of the polymer CZ's or a polymer-framed EAA Witness and have a familiar system that you know you like, but with a lightweight polymer frame.

Glock 26

Another option you might consider is the Glock 26. It is the subcompact version of the Glock 17/19 but it is every bit as good and maybe even better. I've seen a lot of postings by people who own both or all 3 models and reported shooting better with the G26 than the larger models. It can pull double duty as a primary and as a backup/CCW piece.

Personally, I think the sub-compact Glocks are the most amazing pistols I've ever shot.

Hope I didn't muddy the waters. I know its hard when you're undecided.

I have a G26, and it is very accurate, lighter than any other glock, easy to conceal in a jeans pocket, or an IWB holster. It is easy to clean. Last week I shot 100 lead handloads through it, and guess what it did not blow up, shot well and when I cleaned it it was better than the forcing cones of my revolvers after 100 rounds. There was a small amount of lead buildup near the muzzle. The 9mm ammo was with cheap swagged lead bullets but at target velocity.
I cant wait to get dies and reload my own with hardcast lead I suspect the leading problem will disappear.
Get a G26 it shoots well and carries well.
Mine seems to like 1300fps fmj S&B ammo best and there is no fouling with this jacketed ammo.

smoking joe...

hello... you might take a look at the republic arms patriot 45... small... light... and a good value... that is... if you can find one...

regards... v.

I can highly recommend the Ruger P95. Someone mentioned the price of about $300 - prices are going up. Ruger, as most other non-S&W manufacturers are feeling the demand pressures of the S&W boycott as well as Colt's manufactured shortage (telling the public they would no longer sell to anyone but government agencies, a couple of years ago).

Colts act was pretty good - got prices up so that when they started "leaking" production to the civilian market the prices were at a premium - pretty sneaky! I guess I better get off this subject before stirring up a hornet's nest.

Ruger P95

The $300 price mention on the Ruger P95 is about right for here in GA. A blued P95DC is going for around $300 or under and the stainless is going for around $330 to $350 (I just got the stainless one last week for $330). In the past week I have taken the gun to the range twice and I have been very impressed. In may opinion, it may not be the best ploymer framed gun on the market, but I think it is the best bang for the buck.

The polymer Witness is a nice pistol, a very good value, and can be had in different calibers. The HS2000 is also an excellent buy for the money, and the pistol seems to get nothing but good reviews so far. The USP Compact is a fine weapon, but ridiculously overpriced in my opinion. There is no reason why the USP should cost 50% more than a Glock...for the price of a USP Compact, you can pick up a Witness Polymer and a HS2000, and still have money left for ammo.

The CZ-100 is a slick design, but the trigger is very heavy, and the slide looks more like Kel-Tec than CZ-75. THen again, it's in the same price class as the Witness.

Ruger P-series are among the best values on the market...I personally don't like their looks, but they are without a soubt reliable and well-made.

P-95 Trigger? They have been vastly improved over the P-89 version.

As far as which gun, if I understand you correctly, you already have the HS2000 which is a larger pistol which would imply that you might want to look at smaller platforms for a second pistol.

The P95 and HS2000 are in the same class IMO. The Khar P9 and P40 will set you back about $450 and are superb guns. They are lightweight, slim, and feel really nice. The Kel-Tec P11 and P40 are good guns too and will cost about half as much. They aren't nearly as refined as the Khars but you get more value definitely. Finally, I'd suggest the HK USP compact in 45, 40, or 9mm.

Just for the heck of it, you said AT LEAST 9mm. The Republic Arms Patriot is about the same size if a little thinner than the Kel-Tec and is in 45 caliber. It's a no-nonsense DAO 45 that runs about $225 retail.

BTW: if you have the HS2000 you have already handled a gun in the same quality class as pretty much all of the guns already mentioned to include Glock, HK USP, Walther, CZ, etc. Just my opinion, but you've got a great gun already.

http://www.republicarmsinc.com/
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/
http://www.hsarms.com/
http://www.kahr.com/
http://www.ktog.org/
http://www.eaacorp.com/

If your a Glock kind of person, my recommendation would be a factory refurbished G19. These pistols have been given a through going over at the factory and are considered as good as new. Even though its not one of your requirements the factory refurbs usually come with one 15 round magazine as a bonus. In my area, (Ct.), most shops sell them for $390 to $425. This still leaves plenty of cash left over for a good holster, extra mag(s,), and most importantly ammo to feed it.
If you prefer the more traditional DA/SA the Ruger 95 is certainly worthy of consideration. Many consider it to be the best value in a 9mm semi-auto. New these are running about $75 to $100 less than the refurb Glock, still leaving plenty left over for the previously mentioned accessories.
Take Care

The only polymer 9mms that have passed extensive T&E by large (over 25,000 personnel) military/police organizations that I know of are the Glock, USP, Walther, Ruger (maybe the polymer Kahr w NYPD?). Not to say the others are not as good, just not as good a track record so far.

As much as I value H&K's gun-making prowess, I can't find their NIB USP or USPc for less than $600 in my neck of the woods

That's OK because I found myself a Walther P99. with its 4" barrel. The Ruger KP95D was a bit big and wide for my hand, while the Walther settled in very nicely. Put my recommendation solidly behind Walther's P99.

On the other hand, consider looking at another ergonomically designed pistol - Steyr's brand new "M" or "S" series.

Back