looking for a gas gun for my wife.

Might I suggest that you invest in a Evoshield recoil t-shirt ($68.00) for her.
I have a 12ga. Beretta ultra light O/U that even with their optional recoil pad, if you can call it that, kicks the hell out of me at the trap range. Never even notice it when hunting but after 100 rounds or so of stout loads my shoulder really starts feeling it. One of the down sides of becoming an old fart I guess.
Biggest advantage it has is you remove the pad from it's sealed package insert it into the t-shirt and shoulder your gun. After about ten minutes the pad hardens forming a perfect pocket. As a result you get a perfect mount of your gun every time. Has really helped my shooting and no more bruises from a bad mount which can ruin your day. You can see it on U-tube. The Robertsons from Duck dynasty are promoting it

What is the result if you mount the gun wrong, which a new shooter is likely to do? Then they are stuck with a pad that sets their mount up wrong even when they try to correct it? You are feeling the pain of shooting trap loads through a fixed breed gun, while the OP is aware of the soft shooting benefits of a gas gun. Instead of using a shooting vest, shirt, or some other pad arrangement, she may just want to shoot lower recoil loads. Down the road, if she is still suffering from recoil, your idea may be worth the investment.

Last edited:
^^ point taken but reduced loads in a gas gun often results in cycling problems. I assumed her husband would assist her in getting a proper mount
fitted into the pad. Past experience has taught me that nothing will turn a gal pal off quicker than excessive recoil. Reason I got mine a 20ga. pump.

Past experience has taught me that nothing will turn a gal pal off quicker than excessive recoil.

Oh, if that were only so. I can think of lots of mistakes I've made that turned gals off faster than excessive recoil. :D

Me too. And a 20g pump kicks a lot more than almost all of the 12g auto-loaders. I am not sure if that was sarcasm or not. :confused:

Let me clarify I was referring to being turned off to the sport of shotgunning.
Usually my presence alone or something I've said take care of the rest.:confused:

The 1100 is a proven gun. Still see many of them on skeet and trap fields. Minimal recoil, parts readily available, very reliable, etc. Many good clean used ones available.

I use a 20ga 1187 for skeet and although I am so-so at skeet/trap, I enjoy the sport and I can shoot that gun all day long and my shoulder is good for the drive home.

Back