Looking for a Cheap But Reliable .22 DA Revolver.

dgludwig

I'd like to get an inexpensive but reliable .22 da revolver made in s/s to keep locked up and hidden in a vehicle. Not a deal breaker, but I'd prefer adjustable sights and a three to four inch long barrel. I was looking at the Charter Arms "Pathfinder" which the lgs is selling for $380.00-a little steep, I think, for what you get. I would think that maybe Taurus might have an equivalent but cheaper offering but I don't know.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Taurus had the Model M94, which was in .22 LR. It sold for about $100 less than the Charter Arms when I bought mine. However, The M94 isn't shown on the Taurus website. They appear to have dropped all .22 LR revolvers.

For not much more you can get a Ruger LCRx 3"

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/193766

IMO, for a "cheap" DA/SA .22 revolver it's either Charter or the LCRx. I decided last year the whole double action and swing out cylinder thing wasn't worth the price, so I bought a Heritage 9 shot .22 LR/Mag combo with adj. sights for $180.

The new Wrangler would be okay too, but no adj. sights.

IDK if I would buy a Taurus 94 used, not unless you want to potentially deal with their customer service and warranty department.

It's something like this that makes me wonder why Rock Island makes those $240 .38 revolvers, but won't make any .22 LR revolvers for around the same price, if not less. They would sell so many of them.

Think used! I recently (in the last month) bought a Smith and Wesson "K-22 Combat Masterpiece" from 1953 for $350.00. It had been refinished in nickel, and had a funky set of aftermarket grips, but whoever did the refinish, did a very nice job.

I was shocked to get it for that price actually, but it was only marked at $400.00 to start with. I asked what's the best you can do, and he came back with the $350 number. I tried not to look too excited when I said I'd take it.

Now, realistically that's not going to happen everyday I don't think, but used is the way to go. I see Taurus Model 94's all the time in that price range. I always look at the ones with the wood grips. They were generally made in the 80's and 90's and were really nice guns. Taurus also made a Model 96 with a six inch barrel that is their version of the Smith and Wesson Model 17. Very nice guns. They're usually in your price range.

Another to look for is the High Standard Sentinel. I used one for years as my bumming around the woods gun. They come in several "R" series, but which one really doesn't matter. The changes were all minor. Sears sold the same gun as a J.C. Higgins in case you ever run into one of them.

Facing the same dilemma as the OP - a 22 DA plinker for less than Smith prices - a while back I settled on a Taurus model 970 Tracker. These models are now out of production, but models come up on GB quite often.

This Tracker has never failed. I recently installed a Wolff reduced spring kit, and this Tracker now sports a smooth cocking action with a target trigger break of 2.75 pounds with no creep. Lock-up is tight with zero endshake. Also, the cheesy rubber factory grips were ditched in favor of wooden grips.

Just an idea for a less expensive alternative...

Pic of the Tracker:

Bayou

You can always try pawn shops. They have their items marked up with a very large margin. Go in and lowball them the worst they can say is no.

Look for it

I scratched my itch with a Taurus 94.
I like the little guy a lot, that said it does have a very heavy double action trigger.
I like the Smith K frame for that reason alone. The 94 is J sized and that heavy DA trigger pull is a function of the frame size and the healthy whack required for consistent rimfire ignition.
The price was really right, so when a K-22 does pop it's head up I can resell the Taurus W/O taking a hit.

I just went through the same search and decision. The only double action 22s under $400 I could find and were available were Taurus and Charter Arms. Based on reviews and customer comments regarding customer service, I chose the Charter Arms Pathfinder. When I got it, it shot well and looked good but it locked up after only 18 rounds. I called Charter Arms and within minutes, they sent me a labeled return box with a promise that they would return it in 7-10 business days once they got it. Per FedEx, they got it at 10:31 on Wednesday morning and I got an e-mail from them first thing Friday morning that it was on the way back to me. They did the repair within a day and a half from receiving it. It is scheduled to be back to me on Tuesday. I had to send a Taurus back a few years ago due to an initial problem and it took 7 weeks for me to get it back. Anything can have an initial issue so I am happy with my purchase. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...d/97423/charter+72242+22+lr+target+pathfinder

Taurus 94's hover at $400 and above. Charter revolvers chambered in 22LR on Gunbroker average in the mid-300's, but with shipping and transfer fee, it's around $400, again. The price of 22LR revolvers are insane. A 617 is $700 and above.

Don't rule out used - H&R's or NEF's. 22LR revolvers can pretty much last forever. In my experience, the first part that needs replacement is the mainspring which is pretty easy to swap out.

CajunBass nailed it. The wood handled 80/90's vintage Taurus 94's are much better guns than their current offerings.

I would also add the Rossi R98 Plinker to your list of quality inexpensive 22 revolvers. I have had a 4" one for about a half dozen years and it's the gun I start out new shooters on. Accurate with a nice DA trigger pull. They are discontinued but here is one on gunbroker.

Last edited:
CajunBass nailed it. The wood handled 80/90's vintage Taurus 94's are much better guns than their current offerings.

I would also add the Rossi R98 Plinker to your list of quality inexpensive 22 revolvers. I have had a 4" one for about a half dozen years and it's the gun I start out new shooters on. Accurate with a nice DA trigger pull. They are discontinued but here is one on gunbroker.
Your suggestions are good but only if you can find one at a good price. I couldn't find anything when I ordered my Charter Arms Pathfinder. The Rossi you showed on Gunbroker would cost more after shipping than I paid for my new Pathfinder with a lifetime warranty. Also, what if you need parts for a discontinued gun and the cost even if you can find them. That doesn't even count the cost of a gunsmith.

TruthTellers said:
It's something like this that makes me wonder why Rock Island makes those $240 .38 revolvers, but won't make any .22 LR revolvers for around the same price, if not less. They would sell so many of them.
I have wondered the same thing, especially since Amrscor used to offer a .22 LR version. To me it seems like a no-brainer, but I have discussed it with the folks at Armscor and they don't think there would be enough demand to reestablish the tooling to make them.

This ^^^...If you could win the bid at $300 you got a nice deal on a sweet little revolver even after shipping etc. I really wish Rossi was still making the Plinker, imo it was a gem of a little revolver at its price point and even higher.

I have wondered the same thing, especially since Amrscor used to offer a .22 LR version. To me it seems like a no-brainer, but I have discussed it with the folks at Armscor and they don't think there would be enough demand to reestablish the tooling to make them.
Well that's just silly. How many other DA .22 revolvers are out there that are under $250 new?

The problem is that Armscor is a victim of their own success. They sell so many 1911s that they don't feel they can justify gearing up to make another revolver. In their M200/M206 line (the .38 Specials) they also used to have a model with a vented rib on the top, looking a lot like an old Colt Cobra. I've always thought they could/would sell a lot of those if they'd bring it back, but they aren't interested in that, either.

Thanks for all the helpful advice so far. Because my wife will be shooting it, I'm a little leery of the Taurus offerings-the ones I've tried had very hard/heavy da trigger pulls. Next month, I plan on attending an Ohio Gun Collector's gun show and, with any luck, I'll find a nice, used Colt Officers Match .22 for under $400.00 (just kidding...:D).

CajunBass did give me some hope though, with his Smith "Combat Masterpiece" find. If I could just get so lucky.

If my wife were shooting it I would go with the Ruger LCRX for a new gun, they have pretty good triggers right out of the box. I have 2 older S&W model 34's (J frame size, 4") and a 17 & 18 (K frame size) and love them, the 18 is my favorite 22 revolver out of the bunch. I found both used but for great prices.
I'm not sure why everyone thinks a 22 revolver should cost less to make than any other caliber? Just because it shoots a cheap round does not mean the manufacturing process is any cheaper for the gun.
A lot of the 22 revolvers need a heaver spring to set off the rim fire round VS its center fire counterpart. I have found the larger K frame size guns to be better shooters.

Back