looking for a .22 bolt gun

Joe Pike - did you scope the gun? If so, can you get a cheek weld on the hog back stock?

I'm looking at a CZ myself but the American straight stock guns are sold out. Lux models are available.

My suggestion is to look for a Charles Daly Zastava import. In my case, this is one rifle that will never be sold off. It is every bit as capable with selected ammo as my former $1500 Kimber / Leupold combo, but it cost only $200. It has a superb bolt action and it's easy to remove for cleaning. After testing numerous ammo brands, I have found a number of them with outstanding accuracy out to 100 meters. Maybe I'm lucky, so perhaps other results may vary. I liked my first Zastava so much I bought a second one. That one didn't seem to work as well as my first. And when the transition went to Remington, I tried that model in 22 Mag. That one didn't work for me at all. When it came to a solid, well built, dead nuts accurate 22 Mag- the CZ LUX was the one for me. I have to think the CZ brand is probably great in 22 LR as well- I just have never had one for shooting 22 standard or high velocities. I would not be surprised, if I ever did have a CZ 22LR, I would expect I could test a good number of ammo brands and find some that shoot equally as well as my present Zastava import.

"The 77/22 has an excellent reputation for accuracy."

We have obviously been talking to different people. Maybe their current production has improved since the old days when people complained that their stock 10/22 would outshoot their 77/22.

John

Joe Pike - did you scope the gun? If so, can you get a cheek weld on the hog back stock?

I really wanted the LUX because of the sights that are on it, so, no scope on this one. Maybe in the future I'll pick up a used American and put a scope on it.

is 3-12 or 4-16 too much scope? will 22lr be accurate to 100 yards? i have shot cheap 22 semis but nothing of good quality so i dont know what to expect from a good rifle. oh, i want the biggest scope that is going to work with that 22. i may upgrade to the cz american that comes with a 17hmr conversion for the longer distances

I think you'll have more than enough scope with a 3-12x out to 100 yards. I don't think 4-16x will be "too much" but the extra cost isn't doing you anything the lesser scope won't do.

Of course, this opinion is highly dependent on persona; preferene as I seldom use more than 6 power on any of my scope

thanks for the answers everybody. i dont see too well and higher magnification scopes make it easier for me to be accurate. aslo i dont have a spotting scope and i thought it would help to see my shots. so 22lr can be accurate to 100 yards?

so 22lr can be accurate to 100 yards?

Yup, once you figure out the drop at that range, you can dial it in pretty well. I can consistently hit clay piqeons at 100 yards with my 10/22; so with a more accurate bolt gun, you should have no problems getting good groups at 100 yards.

success !!!! i went to my favorite GS and traded a .22 pistol and a henry .22 survival rifle for the savage mark II BV. its a blued bull barrel and light brown laminated "hog back" ( i think you, tell me) stock. i took a leupold variX II-c off my .308 and put it on the .22 its a 3-9X40. its brand new and i talked him into a set of millet rings to go with it. WOOHOO!! range report: 5 shot groups are 1 ragged hole at 50 yrds pics later
jim

here are some pics of my new baby. i plan on using it until my 6 yr old son is old enough to shoulder it and then pass it down to him

Attachments

• CIMG3351.JPG
    CIMG3351.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 30
  • CIMG3353.JPG
    CIMG3353.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 24
  • CIMG3354.JPG
    CIMG3354.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 19
would that be considered a "hog back" stock? the cheek weld is perfect for me so i guess it doesnt matter what you call it, right?;)

Back