looking for a .22 bolt gun

justjim75

any recs for a .22lr bolt action rifle? i plan on scoping it and using it for plinking at 25 to 50 yards, with squirrels as a possibility. bull barrel, thumbhole stock, accu trigger like the savage at the pawnshop are good things but an older "work of art" type gun is welcome as well. my buddy has a savage with a 5 round mag and a 3-9X40 that i like so i"m leaning that way. no semi autos please i want something unlike my black plastic stuff. thanks for your suggestions, as all are welcome

Well I'm going to suggest an older Cooey, I may be a bit bias as I've started a Cooey collection. But I find that most of them are vary well built and still accurate for squirrels.

For just 25-50 yds, you could make do with just about anything, but the Savage you mentioned is a good choice. Marlin makes a pretty good 22 bolt rifle as well, and they're pretty cheap. If not so cheap is an option, Ruger 77/22 is my choice. If you want a really pretty one, a Cooper would fit the bill.

One of the finest 22 bolt actions ever built was/is the French MAS 45.

mas22b.jpg

http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/arc...&t=16363&sid=0c4272020928176715e7ac0fa49614a3

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=119080

If you can find one anywhere, get it right then and count yourself -- and your grandchildren -- incredibly lucky.

Why the insistance on the thumb-hole stock? When shooting from any position other than prone, they really don't help.

Consider a CZ of some ilk,,,

I have purchased a few .22 rifles over the past few years,,,
Recently I purchased a CZ-452 Special Military Trainer,,,
It's probably the last .22 rifle I will ever purchase.

452-LR.jpg

It's the rifle I should have purchased first,,,
I wouldn't have needed to look further.

I'm not knocking Savage or any other rifle,,,
But I sure do love my CZ.

Aarond

thank you all for the suggestions. it looks like its down to the CZ 452 TH varmint or the savage mark II BTVS. i like the stainless of the mark II but the CZ has an adjustable trigger which is really nice. wish i could start a poll....

I have owned both and IMO the CZ452 is way way the hell more gun then the Savage. Don't get me wrong, I have a Savage 10FP that is fantastic so I am not a Remmy snob or anything but the Savage rimfires are toys compared to the CZ's. CZ's are real rifles that just happen to fire a rimfire round.

I own 3 452s, a Varmint, FS and Lux and all are fantastic rifles worth more then I paid. Are they Anshutz quality, Cooper, no but they are damn good rifles that shoot and are built way better then the price of ownership.

What????

HOw come nobody has mentioned a Ruger 77/22? There's a classic, walnut and blue steel rifle, and adult quality to boot.

The 77/22 never developed a reputation for accuracy, at least not for what it used to cost compared to the other .22s available.

And they had (have?) a pressure pad - a raised area of wood at the end of the barrel channel - that most .22 shooters hate. A free-floated barrel is preferred by most folks. If you try free-floating a 77/22 your POI will drop 2 or 3 feet from what I've read.

John

The 77/22 never developed a reputation for accuracy, at least not for what it used to cost compared to the other .22s available.
The 77/22 has an excellent reputation for accuracy. The fact that it costs twice as much as a Savage deters many shooters from buying one, but that has nothing to do with its reputation for accuracy.

FWIW, the pressure pad in the barrel channel on 77/22s is what keeps the rifles accurate. This has to do with the skinny barrels Ruger puts on them. Take it out, they scatter the shots. I bought a 77/22 new in 1986, and it would shoot 1"-1.25" at 100 yds. I bought a used one that someone had free-floated, and it wouldn't shoot worth beans. When I pressure bedded it, it shot as well as the other. Now I own 4 of them.

I recently added a Boyd's laminated stock to my CZ Military Trainer Special and with the trigger kit I added years ago, and the 2-8 Bushnell 4000 Elite I think I have the perfect .22 rifle.

my first 22 rifle was a marlin/glenfield model 25. i believe it sold new for $29.95 when i bought it 42 years ago. it is still a tack driver today. i have other 22 rifles but i have never seen the need to buy another 22 bolt action rifle.

Back