Looking for 223 Rem. Varmint Rifle W/ 1:8 Twist

BIGON

Inactive
Fellow shooters, earlier this year I purchased a Howa M1500 223 24" Heavy Barrel w/ 1:12 twist. Through various hand load test I found the sweet spot for this rifle with 55gr projectiles. I'm now looking for a 223 heavy barrel varmint rifle with a 1:8 twist. I want to load and shoot heavier rounds but my Howa doesn't like them at all. So toss up some suggestions and I'll go from there. Thanks

Have a tikka lite with the 1 in 8", shoots 1/4" groups with federal fusion 62 grams. Also shoots Winchester varmint loads 45 grain under 1/2". Does not really like any of the inexpensive target loads. It does not have a heavy barrel like you are looking for but it might be worth a look.

I think Tikka is the ONLY one aren't they, save custom?

However, Savage used to make a LRPV or similar model 12 in BOTH a 9 twist and a 7 twist, but not 8 - otherwise the same rifle. Dunno if they still do. It was definitely a heavy barrel and nice rifle.

Tikka T3 lite/varmint/super varmint/tactical all come in 1:8.

Pretty sure the heavy barrel CZs are 1:9. At least they used to be.

Looks like all Savages in 223 are 1:9.

Some 1:12 223 will stabilize long heavy bullets, and some wont.
The 68hpbt Hornady would be something I'd try.

1:9 twist should stabilize round a 70gr bullet, whilst 1:8 should get you to 80gr.

My Tikka seems to shoot anything from 40gr bullets up to 69gr bullets well at 100 yards, 55gr bullets definitely stabilize. I hope to try out either the 75gr Amax or Berger VLD in it some day.

Get a Tikka T3 Tactical, they seem to have a good reputation for accuracy (like all Tikkas) and they look cool! Also have an insanely nice factory trigger.

Ruger American uses a 1:8 twist as well, not a true varmint contour barrel but I like the looks of the predator. The only problem is the 75 grain A-Max is a little long for the factory magazine. However there is a guy working on a fix for that problem.

I have plenty of AR's with 1:7 twist but I want this to be a bolt action for better precision out to 600 yards.

I wouldn't count on a bolt action being more precise than a AR at 600 yards.

Say what?. Now Taylorce while AR's have come a long way in the last say 5 to 7 years,They are no where near as accurate as a bolt action rifle.

Say what?. Now Taylorce while AR's have come a long way in the last say 5 to 7 years,They are no where near as accurate as a bolt action rifle.
So then you're saying all bolt actions are more accurate than all ARs I'll take that bet.
Like he said I wouldn't just assume the bolt will be more precise;)

1:8 is an odd-ball twist.
Most bolt guns I've seen, in .223, are 1:12, 1:9, or maybe 1:7.
My CZ527 Varmint is 1:9 - I've found that 69gn BTHP's work best in mine.

Savage 12 LRPV left port or 12 VLP DBM if you want a repeater more than the target action and trigger. Both are offered with a 1:7 which will stabilize about anything you want.

Personally, if you've got AR's laying around, I'd just hang a High quality target barrel and free float tube on it. Out to 600 and likely beyond it'll pry outshoot or hang right with any off the shelf bolt gun. If you dump the time and money into a bolt gun to really make it shoot, you still might not be able to see a big difference, depending on your skill. There's no magic involved in making an AR shoot.

Back