Looking at my first .308 rifle.

My advice is to get what makes you feel good, not what anyone else tells you to get. Everyone has their 'image' of themselves shooting and that's what does it for them. Some like to be all tactical, some like to be a fudd, some want space guns, and some want an old trusty.

If you like a bolt gun, get one. If you like an AR10, build one. If you want something like a M1A, buy one. It's your money, your time, and your enjoyment you are talking about, not someone else's. Don't let anyone tell you what you want isn't right.

That said, it's also OK to go different ways. For instance, I have 8 leverguns, 11 semi-autos, and 2 bolt actions in my shooting collection. Clearly, I haven't settled on a single type of platform as I'm also considering adding a Pedersoli Little Betsy Sharps Single Shot in 357mag to try my hand at longer range (300-400yd) shooting with a pistol bullet!!

As part of my collection, in .308/7.62x51 I have both an newer Springfield NM M1A and a beautiful scoped 1959 Winchester Model 88 as well as a couple of 30-06/M2 Ball shooters: a scoped 1950 Winchester Model 70 and a 1954 Springfield Special Service M1 Garand.

I handload 150grn loads in the 2,850fps range for all of them (as well as other bullet weights and velocities), shoot them from 200-450yds, and have a ball with all of them so I guess I've sort of got one of each.

Get a rifle that suits your taste in a rifle. What I think likely matters not unless we share a taste in rifles. There are plenty of nice semi-automatic gas guns out there like the AR 10 or M1A and certainly no shortage of bolt guns and lever guns all chambered in .308 Winchester so get what suits you.

Ron

I have a few bolt guns and like them, but they are not my preference for anything other than range toys. I feel that autos are infinitely more useful for almost any other application and prefer the AR/LR types. That said, they are heavy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cost

All the comments regards capacity,weight, reliability and so on are correct, but I didn't see much commentary on COST. You can buy a very practical and useful .308 bolt rifle, and scope it, for far less than an AR-10 or an M1A.

The Savage Scout, , the assorted MVP's, the Savage Hog, are all good .308 launchers. that can be had for far less than a semi, and they will (should) function with any ammo you feed them, and will probably shoot lights out farther than one can hold. Heck, I saw 2 Savage Axis rifles today w/ economy scope, for $199 dollars, new!

I bought a Howa heavy barrelled action in 308 Win from Brownells.

It was my grandson's first center fire rifle.

Bought a Hogue full bedded stock for it.

He shot maybe 15 rounds thru it the first outing. I told him shoot for group.

His next 5 shots covered 1" with shot 5 as a called flier that put the group at 1 3/8".

His next outing, the SIL put him on the 200 yd target and he shot maybe a 2" group. This was all with less than 50 rounds thru the barrel.

I think it will be a less than 1" rifle when he gets settled into it.

Total cost for barreled action + stock was approx. $430.00.

Thanks for everyone’s comments here. I ended up purchasing a Howa 1500 HB chambered in 308 Win. The package includes the following.

• Nikko Stirling® GamekingTM 1”, 4-16x44 scope
• One-piece base & rings
• 20” threaded, heavy barrel
• Full-dipped KryptekTM camo on barrel, stock, scope, base & rings. (Typhon pattern)
• Hogue® pillar-bedded stock & recoil pad
• 10-round Ammo BoostTM detachable magazine
• Bipod

Guaranteed Sub MOA out of the box.

Picked up the whole package for $700 MSRP is $959

Good advice. A solid shooting rifle that you can get a lifetime supply of magazines for the cost of a basic load in other .308's.

http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.com/advantages-of-the-g3-and-the-hk-system/47516

Get one that includes the European Style magazine release (paddle) standard.

Yes and it comes standard with the European Style magazine release! :)

Get the GIR as it also comes with a rail if you decide to run optics.

http://ptr-us.com/products/7-62-x-51-mm/
I second the railed PTR if you get one. Good guns but I owned a newly made PTR with an out of spec claw mount FYI. The rails shouldn't have a problem.

Currently, the refurbished CMP Special Grade M1 Garand chambered in .308 with the new Criterion Bbl. for $1,050 when they come back in stock is a sweet deal.

wm_7409830-50.jpg

Red

Back