Looking At A Tactical Shotgun

My thoughts are

first you have to decide if this will be a dedicated home defense gun or if it will serve other purposes, such as skeet and trap or hunting.

if dedicated for defense/tactical and you want an extended mag (am not convinced that one is needed or desirable for HD) then do not go with an add on extension but a single piece 6 shell mag,

Skeet & trap shooting bear little relation to true tactical/hd work,

suggest keeping add-ons to a minimum - no sling or side saddle. Forget bayonets,

Unless there is a good reason for going with the 20, such as physical limitations, stick with the 12,

Stick with a standard stock, unless the weapon will be shared between persons of such different statures that an adjustable is imperative (not convenient but imperative). For HD purposes a small lady can tuck that but under her armpit if she must.

I've been researching tactical shotguns for home defense and I have no experience in them whatsoever. I'm ideally looking for a semi-auto with a capacity around 6 in 12 gauge (I know 20 would get more carrying capacity and I may lean towards that). I'm not opposed to pump action either. Any thoughts?

Here's your gun. Mossberg 930 or 930 SPX (if you want the capacity).

http://www.mossberg.com/products/shotguns/autoloading/mossberg-930-special-purpose

I like pumps because they are more reliable.

I like pumps well enough, but don't know if this is true.

Last edited:
home defense tactics & DVDs.....

If you are new to 12ga shotguns & tactics, I would suggest buying a few training books or videos too. CQB or close quarter drills will be required to learn.
There are a few DVDs & instructors that can teach how to best use a defense type 12ga.
See www.NRA.org www.paladin-press.com www.gunvideo.com www.deltapress.com .

There are a few special purpose 12ga loads or exotics out there but check your areas gun laws first. Some states & major cities ban these shotgun loads.

Back