Looking at a Remington 700

Safety issue

I have a Rem 700 PPS in 308, it is ridiculously accruate. For hunting though I prefer a Win Mod 70 in 270.

I am surprised that no one has brought up the "safety issue" with the 700.

A new one goes for around $900 or more plus tax and/or FFL transfer fees. Consider a new Weatherby Vanguard as they are good deals and very accurate. Not quite as nice looking, but a good rifle.

Please do me a favor. Tell the guy that you would have been willing to pay $400 for it, but because of the "engraving" he added you're only willing to pay $200.

Idiots need to learn a lesson. :rolleyes:

@sailskidrive Why do you prefer the .270 over the .308 for hunting?

@natman I agree if it weren't for the condition I would be comfortable paying $400. The guy who owns it now is the second owner though, not the one who etched his name on the barrel. It was his brother's friend who did it about 30 years ago, so a lesson at this point isn't very likely to be learned.

As for Wally World rifles, I will check them out, but have a hard time believing anything quality comes from that company. Can you really buy good rifles from WalMart? Or would I be better off looking at Sportsmans?

Not a chance man, not worth it. A new one is only 600 bucks and if its dinged up no way. For 400 bucks do yourself a favor and get a T/C Venture

The .270 is the best hunting round ever created. Much more effective then the .308. I've had both. And the .270 ammo is just as cheap as the .308. $17 a box for Remington or Winchester.

I've killed deer with 150 gr. 308 Remington core loks and with 130 gr. 270 core loks. The deer were shot at around 75-100 yards broadside behind the shoulder in the lung cavity. The deer shot with the 270 all dropped on the spot. The deer shot with the .308 all ran some.

Last edited:
quote: "For 400 bucks do yourself a favor and get a T/C Venture". I agree!!! I love my T/C venture.......

quote: ".270 ammo and .308 $17 a box" I also agree......

Concerning Walmart -- They don't make the guns, they only sell them just like any other retail store. A new Remington from Walmart comes from the same factory as a new Remington (of the same model) you buy from any other gun retailer. That also goes for the ammunition Walmart sells, only it is typically cheaper........

I'm not looking to only spend $400. I am just pretty tight with my money. If I can save it somehow by taking advantage of good deals, I will. But if I have to wait another few months to get a better deal, thats fine too. I didn't draw any tags this year. Hoping to be able to buy something off someone, but who knows. If I don't have a good gun ready to go by then, well then that gives me another year to find what I want.

I know I am opening a can of worms here, but how is it that a .270 can be a better hunting load than a .308? I know the .270 is a bit flatter shooting, but still its a lighter and smaller bullet. Maybe I am simplifying it too much, but wouldn't a bigger bullet hit harder? I know the difference between the two is minimal, but I am curious why so many seem to prefer the .270.

Hey dude, I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard, 7mm rem mag, from wallyworld for $350.00. So yesy you can get qualitly firearms from there, depending on your store. (some stores do not handle firearms). Its been a beauty so far!!!;)

My Win Mod 70 has the previous owner's ID info engraved in the lower side of the bolt (can't really see it until you remove the bolt).

I think I'd drop the value measurably if I could spot the engraving.

Bud's Gun shop has a NIB 700BDL for $725.

Given this, I'd say the gun you're describing is worth $350-$400.
(doesn't sound like there's any functional problems - just cosmetics)

Good news is - you can go to a gun parts supply shop and build your own - most likely down-the-road.

Being that its a rem 700 I wouldn't be too worried about the engraving. I say this because no other bolt action rifle in the world has more aftermarket support. Just because the guy is asking 400, doesn't mean that's what you have to pay. If its used, its definitely negotiable. Tell him you like it but the engraving of someone else's name and SS# no less is a real killer and because of it you've talked to several people and the most you can comfortably offer is $350, if he tells you to take a hike, sweet. If he accepts, sweet.

Over the years you could slowly upgrade the rifle and in a few years have a super slick Remmy 700. I regret not buying one as my first rifle as I am a tinkerer and the gun I have now has no aftermarket support.

To jtyson

@WildBill45 I have heard otherwise about the Remington triggers. I have heard they are way too heavy and the weak point in accurate shooting. I can't say first hand if thats true though.

I have been thinking about what you said. I may be spoiled as I have never owned a stock, out of the Box Remington rifle. My first one was a model 10-X target rifle in .220 Swift to sort out the Prairie Dog towns in Colorado near my home. It was super accurate at very long ranges ... trust me! My other rifle is my Custom Remington KS, in .350 Remington. Both were Remington custom shop rifles with great triggers! I don't always get custom rifles, that is the exception, but both of such were Remingtons! I also did own a stock, Remington XP-100, bolt action Pistol (short rifle pistol) in .221 fireball! If I recall it also had a nice trigger!

Most of my other rifles were Control Round Feed, mauser style rifles, which would exclude Remington, save my Steyr Mannlicher Pro, and a Winchester 7mm STW! Who is counting?

Last edited:
The new x-Mark Pro trigger on my SPS Buckmasters is very nice. Crisp, breaks like glass and no creep. As nice as the Timneys I've put on a couple of my rifles years ago. Adjustable down to 3-1/2 lbs. which is as light as anyone should go on a hunting rifle IMHO.

@WildBill45 Since you happened to mention Steyr, that is another rifle I have been looking at. But have heard varying opinions on them. I have ZERO first hand experience with them. Here are the details from the listing

*This is a Steyr Mauser 98 action .308 scout rifle, 20" barrel, 3-9 X 50 scope, new barrel, new Knoxx recoil reducing stock, all matching #s, receiver made in Austria, great all around and hunting rifle, $650 OBO*

I have seen the regular old military surplus rifles going for $100-300 that I guess people like to build on. But I don't know what the value is on one that already has some work done to it. While I am still considering a Wally World gun that I can play with down the road and use as is now, if this is a better gun for not much more $, I may pick it up.

@warbirdlover I do agree on a hunting rifle I wouldn't want the trigger much lighter than that. But I have heard that the older Remington 700 trigger is around 7lbs and far from smooth. Do you know if thats true? And if so, when did they make the triggers better? Since I am still shopping and may grab a used rifle, I would like to know what to look for and what not to.

I had the Pro model, which was straight from the factory 20 years ago or so. The stock was synthetic, and the action Steyr, not a mauser type action. It had the butterfly bolt handle. It was a sweet shooter in .270 Win. with a double set trigger! I also had a Harris Bipod up front!

Here is a photo of it, with me and my Wyoming antelope shot at 300 yards. It is always windy in Wyoming ... you can count on it! I also added a photo of #1 son, with a Colorado antelope and the Steyr!

Attachments

• Wyoming Antelope-1.jpeg
    Wyoming Antelope-1.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Colorado Antelope .jpg
    Colorado Antelope .jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I see Remington 700 .270 caliber on gunbroker.com NIB at $429 and $579. It does not sound to me as the rifle your mention is what you really want.

@WildBill45 Here in NM we deal with the wind too, so an accurate rifle is definitely what I need. After doing some research tonight I am finding that the Mauser 98 action leaves some to be desired. I don't plan to be taking too many long shots, but I want to know that I am the variable in the equation, not the rifle. So my search continues!

@Hook686 Yeah after looking around more, I have found many that don't have the cosmetic issues that this one does going for the same amount. .308 is a better option for me to be able to practice due to ammunition costs. If the price were really ridiculously low on the .270 I would pick it up, but its not so I am passing it up.

Back